Reducing working hours

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Reducing working hours

Postby jools1903 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I work for the NHS in a full time administration role. Today my GP has signed me off for 2 weeks as I am not coping with F/T hours and suggested that I reduce my hours.

I broached the subject with my Line Manager who didn't seem very hopeful that I would may be able to reduce my hours and intimated that the department may not keep me if I can't do the full time hours.

Now I just don't know what to do. I have been with the NHS for nearly 6 years and 14 months in this particular department.

Does anyone know how I stand here please?
jools1903
UKFM Member

Re: Reducing working hours

Postby Eileenb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Go and speak with your HR Manager, they should be able to guide you in the right direction. I had to go part time as well. If you are registered disabled, you may have a case to take up with your employers. Sorry can't be of any real help but I hope you get some good news and can keep your job as a part time member of staff. It has really helped me with my fibro; getting home for a rest in the afternoon makes a huge difference. Good luck!!
Eileenb
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Under the Equality Act, once an employer knows that an employee has a disability, illness or condition that impacts on their abilities to perform their job, they are legally obliged to make "reasonable adjustments" for the employee to carry on doing their job to the best of their ability. Reasonable adjustments vary from employee to employee, employer to employer, but can include things like a change/reduction in hours.

Your HR or Occy Health~type peoples should be able to give you more details, or if you are a member of a union or staff association, your local rep should be able to advise you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby lainie1603 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I have just reduced my hours and it has made a difference, I don't work wednesdays. Youi need to make a formal request and your work can review. They can say that your actual job can't be done part time but they need to say why. Hopefully they won't though x
lainie1603
UKFM Newbie

Postby jools1903 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 am

Thank you so much everyone!

My job can be done part time as, out of 7 of us, 4 are part time. I think my boss was concerned for 2 reasons a) she wouldn't get the hours back that I drop to offer on again and b) if I drop hours then effectively everyone else in the department has their workload increased.

I work for the NHS and am part of a union so will get some advice from them and Occy Health.
jools1903
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits