I can't take much more!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I can't take much more!

Postby Grannypants » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 pm

I had my tribunal for DLA on August 8th, I was awarded middle rate care. finally after 14 months of waiting I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I rang the dwp 2 weeks ago to see when my back payments would be sorted, I was told I would just have to wait and it could take up to 6 weeks. This morning I decided to ring them again as I still hadn't heard anything. I rang straight through to Leeds and was told it had been sent back to the tribunal. I asked why and the lady said it will either be because the judge didn't sign it or the decision maker thought the judges decision was wrong. so I rang the tribunal service and asked if the had received it, they said no. I told them it was sent to them on Aug 29th and I was told there was a lot of unopened post and they deal with it in order. While I was on the phone we went through the paperwork given to me by the judge and checked that my name NINO date of birth and all other dates were correct which they were. I was told as they were all correct and the judges signature was on them, the only other reason would be that the decision was wrong. i was told to ring the dwp back as they could tell me why it was sent. So I rang the dwp and the lady I spoke to said, yes the decision maker had disagreed with with the judges decision and had sent it back. I asked if they had asked for a statement of reasons and I was told, she didn't know. I told her the tribunal service hadn't received it as they had a backlog of mail and I was told it had been faxed over on Aug 29th.

I was already in a flare due to the change in the weather and was already down. Now I just feel like everything has been a waste of time and I want to give up. It's been such an effort to not lay in bed all day but I've struggled for the sake of my sanity. Now I just want to go to sleep and never wake up.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Re: I can't take much more!

Postby trev5452 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I really sympathise with you.

Like yourself, I've had my first flare up for about 4 months today, thinking, mainly through the summer months that I was getting better.

I live in Skegness now, for the past 4 months, and getting to know what's going on, there are many people here that are on benefits for little or nothing, it really gets to me, that these people are seemingly in a good position, when folks with a genuine problem are cast aside, and treated with the utmost disrespect for the problems that they suffer.

I realise it's easy for me to say, but for the sake of your children and loved one's try and keep positive, listen to loads of music, which I do, it does help me.

Lots of Love to you x
trev5452
UKFM Newbie

Postby linda3719 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Oh my word they are something else!! What a let down after going through the tribunal ect.

I know first hand how this can make you feel - as if the fibro is'nt enought to put up with - but dont give
up - I know its hard, but find strength. Don't let them get you down. Hope it all gets sorted quickly for
you.

take care,

Linda :-D :-D :-D
linda3719
UKFM Member

Postby shaz61 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 pm

I always thought that the Tribunal Judge had the last say! If this is not the case, what is the point in going to tribunal ?

If I was you I would contact your local CAB for help. I did when I hit rock bottom and had my only form of income taken away, and they were brilliant! It is disgraceful what our government are doing us! Murderers apparently have more human rights than the disabled :evil:

I do know how you feel ,but go see CAB and get help
shaz61
UKFM Member

Postby vickyh1981 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in January, but to be honest I'm not really coping too well. Up until January I was very fit and healthy, now I can hardly even get out of bed some days. I'm so stiff, in so much pain even though I take morphine and chronic fatigued all the time.

I went for an assessment on 23rd August for DLA but have not heard yet, to be honest I'm not holding my breath.

I also suffer with severe depression and anxiety, I have fluid on my hip which really hurts me to walk. I have RSI in both arms and I have also got to have tests for carpal tunnel as I get so much pain and numbness in my hands.

I have has a chest infection for 12 weeks and can't seem to shift it and now I have got a double ear infection too. It seems that I get one infection after another, don't know if anybody else is like this? I also get a really sore tongue all the time.

I have been off sick from work since June and can't see me returning anytime soon, they are now suspending my temp contract too, so I now have the stress of that and money worries on top of my condition.

I have felt suicidal at times as I feel my life is over.

Vicky
vickyh1981
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Grannypants, I can hear and feel your frustration through your words. You really don't need any added stress.

I will tell you the short version of my experience. I had an accident at work. Head and neck, small fracture in neck. The pain and stiffness never left. This was a claim through workers comp due to it happening at work.

Trying to determine what area of benefits I should be covered under was hard for them because things were healed but they could not understand why all the added symptoms that won't leave. They reduced my benefits because of it.

My Dr suggested I apply for Canada pension disability. Because they shared files wirh comp they would not make a decision so was denied twice.

We sent through hell, no income, hubby lost his business due to the economy. We could not get any welfare my hubby being self employed.

Anyway....got help through a government agency at no cost. 10, yes 10 years later I was granted 100% disability based on all the original medical findings. I was allowed 10 years back pay. I was also granted 100% with the Canada pension disability based on the decision of the other agency.

I can relate to your situation, I can't possibly say I know how you feel. This is your personal feelings, your journey.
All I can suggest is that you keep talking to people, ask for help, don't take no for an answer.

When we sat through my final hearing with 3 judges, they stopped someone else's case. They apparently noticed I was in agony sitting there and sugggested a place to lie down. I would be next. Anyway , the lawyer for them came out to us and said we did not need a hearing they were giving me 100%.

We sit and judge others...do we think they should be given a pension, they can't be as bad as me. They don't look ill. I do everything I can, garden, camp ...Live. I may do less and differently but I..Live.
It may take a while, sometimes a long while but keep pushing, get help and don't give up. I know it is physically and mentally hard but try to keep your determination. You deserve it!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby HelpingHand » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:31 pm

shaz61 wrote:I always thought that the Tribunal Judge had the last say! If this is not the case, what is the point in going to tribunal ?

The Tribunal has issued their decision and it overrides the DWPs decision. The Appellant (in this case GrannyPants) has the right to appeal against a Tribunal decision if she thinks an error of law was made. The DWP has this same right, and this is what they are doing.

GrannyPants, the DWP exercising this right is very rare, and it's unfortunate it's happened on your case. First of all they will ask for a statement of reasons - this can take some weeks for them to receive. Once they have the statement of reasons (you should be sent these too) they then have 1 month to decide whether or not to appeal the decision. The statement of reasons goes into much more detail than the original decision (which is usually called a 'short form' decision). Once the DWP has read the statement of reasons, they usually give in and don't appeal - however, I can't guarantee that so don't get your hopes up. Unfortunately, due to the severe amount of appeals there are and the lack of money the Tribunal Service has, there is a significant lack of resources and it may be prolonged quite a bit. Just hang in there, and hope for the best.

Remember, if it is set aside, it doesn't revert back to the DWPs decision, it just goes to another Tribunal. So there is EVERY point in attending a Tribunal, and it's worth doing it rather than not doing it.

HH x
HelpingHand
UKFM Newbie

Postby Grannypants » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:01 am

Thank you everyone for your replies, I feel a bit better than I did yesterday as it came as such a shock. I knew it was possible that it could happen but I didn't expect it to happen to me. This flare is knocking me about really bad, the bursitis in my hips is so bad now, the gp is talking about draining them which I'm sure will be pleasant - NOT! I have also lost 70% use of my right arm and my TMJ has been playing up for weeks and my jaw has been locked for 7 weeks. I need to go to the dentist about my jaw as the gp said it is a dental problem. I am booked in for the end of the month and was relying on getting my backpay to be able to pay for it. I've had to cancel that now as I can no longer afford it. I can't claim ESA and we are struggling to make ends meet despite my partner who is 60 working long hours 6 days a week. I just feel like a huge burden on him.
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am

First of all....you are not a burden, knock that out of your head. Would you think your partner wasvis your health were reversed?

Until you can get to the dentist see if you can get a generic mouth piece at the chemists.

I can relate, mine was locked completely closed for 2 weeks. I could just squeeze a straw through. Good part...I lost 12lbs, LOL. Don't try to force your jaw open, I broke my jaw trying.

Is there no agency that can pay for your dentist until you are able since it is an emergency?

I really feel for you, take care.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Have you looked to see if there is an NHS walk~in dental centre near you Grannypants?? You may be able to get some emergency treatment from them :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Grannypants » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 am

Sorry I'm only just replying, I've been in a really bad way both emotionally and physically. I cancelled my dentist appointment, it's an NHS dentist but I would still have to pay and we just don'e have the money. I rang the dwp last Thursday and spoke to a really nice man who actually gave me a straight answer. Apparently the date to backdate the payments to was wrong and they actually owe me 3 more months than the judge wrote on my award notice. I'm thrilled at this news, however they still haven't paid me so I am still skint. I just rang them again and they still haven't got it back from the judge, it can take up to 6 weeks. It's 6 weeks today since my tribunal and I thought I would have been paid by now. I thought I'd be angry but I'm just so tried of it all I can't even feel angry. So now I wait...again!
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am

Grannypants....Even though it is a little bittersweet the news of extra money coming is good news. I wish I could click my heels and money would arrive in the mail. At least you got to talk to someone nice and they actually gave you an answer to what is going on.

Grannypants, as soon as you can get yourself to the dentist.I I realize it is hard right now. Hang in there. Right now while your body is telling you to relax and not let yourself get angry, do it. Getting upset does not help the matter but only hurts you. Let yourself put this on the shelf for a while and relax, heal a bit.

My thoughts are with you, Lorraine
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Grannypants » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Thank you Lorraine, the DWP have just rang me back, they have been in touch with the tribunal service and they haven't received it yet despite it being faxed to them on August 29th, when they receive it, it can take up to 14 days to log it onto their system then 6 weeks from then. I'm trying to stay calm but it's really difficult. After waiting 14 months for the tribunal then going through all that I thought it was sorted, now 6 weeks later I am being told it can be another 8 weeks. I won't lie, I am very upset about this. Thank you for your kind words though I really appreciate it. x
Grannypants
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits