dla appeal was an ordeal

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

dla appeal was an ordeal

Postby chezmc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

Hi Everyone..

I attended my DLA tribunal yesterday..It was my second appeal and such a bad experience.

to cut a long story short (if I can)
I had a car accident in 2008 which led to severe whiplash and chronic pain down left side of shoulder, arms etc.. already suffered lower back pain from early 20's (aged 41 now).. the pain began to spread throughout my body- I even developed costochronditis (severe chest pain)..i have sciatica both sides, arthritis to knee caps then last year had my c5/c6 disc replacement in neck to no effect

i applied for DLA in early 2010 -at the time only wanting the lower rate for cooking and personal care because I just couldnt manage on my own thru pain and Husband did all that.. 20 months later in 2012- at appeal the tribunal felt that although i did need sum personal care- they felt I didnt require the amount of hours I said I needed blah blah (wat a joke)

For past 3 years the pain, aching , numbness etc affected my whole body..

so sept 2012 having widespread muscle and joint pain and thinking the meds were sending me doolally with my memory and constantly exhausted with bad mobility etc--- I applied again
saw Atos "doc" who lied through his teeth and I was turned down..

was finally diagnosed in April 2013 with Fibro and ME..

gave them lots of medical evidence and support evidence from GP which they have never seen or requested before.

Appeal yesterday was horrendous.I was grilled for an hour...Which was pure agony......the "GP" looked 92yrs of age and was more confused than I was-making me even more confused..They accepted my diagnosis (I think) and I tried to explain that the symptoms I experienced on meds via my original dla form were obviously combined with symptoms of Fibro and ME..

I couldnt think on my feet and was weepy and confused.. they wouldnt even let my mother help with questions i struggled with or speak at the end?

they said they would look over my paper and let me know..
even I know that this means I lost the appeal again . I let myself down through confusion - and I am so angry with myself..

postman just been but no letter as yet..not worth opening anyway.

ive let off a bit of steam, dont feel any better I dont think I can put myself thru that again a 3rd time cos my head is in absolute tatters today..
thanx for reading I hope everyone else appealing wins their case xx
chezmc
UKFM Member

Re: dla appeal was an ordeal

Postby Ria Landon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey you

Don't give up! You sound so sad and I just want to give you a hug. Please don't be so hard on yourself, you've done brilliantly by appealing and fighting for what you deserve so please be proud of yourself for having a go no matter what the outcome.

You mustn't lose hope, you don't know that your appeal has failed so please hang on to even the tiniest bit of hope that you can.

I know its hard but we must never lose hope, that's the one thing they cannot take away from us.

hang in there, don't stress about trying to appeal again until you know what has happened this time.

Sorry to nag but it breaks my heart to hear you being so down on yourself. Sending you a huge but gentle hug xx
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby Lyndesay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:32 pm

I agree with Ria! Never give up! First of all, well done you for having the courage to go through this horrible system it sucks!! Second of all, you have done everything you possibly can and therefore you should not blame yourself. Don't give up hope, wait and see what happens with their response. I know what it's like about worrying and it certainly doesn't help your conditions. I'm a born worrier but have come to learn that it does me or my illnesses no good. Will be thinking about you and fingers crossed that you will get good news soon (as you truly deserve it) :-)
Lyndesay
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:57 am

You never know, the decision could go in your favour. They maybe just decided they needed a bit more time to discuss the changes you've had and were running a bit behind schedule. It does happen. Not everyone who is told they'll receive a decision by post gets a negative decision. Agree it's better to get a decision on the day, but only because it puts people's mind at rest.

Hope the postie brings you some good news soon.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby chezmc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm still on a low which as you all know and stated doesn't help this condition.. But i'm pleased to see that other people on this site are caring and considerate enuf to reply..thank you so much xx

I haven't heard from the court as yet..I wouldn't exactly call it a tribunal but more of an interrogation...
I'm not sure whether No news is gud news...but I will let you all know how I get on

Thanx again, this site is a lifeline for me

:sleep:
chezmc
UKFM Member

Postby Sunbeam » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Maybe tribunals work differently in different areas but i have been to 3 and at each one, they tell the result while you are there. No waiting for them to write, although they do write to confirm decision. I wish you luck.
Sunbeam
UKFM Member

Postby chezmc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Just to let u all know I received a reply in writing and was awarded the Low rate of care.. I have asked for a statement of reasons as I was expecting at least the middle rate but overall it is a triumph to win anything at all these days..
Thanx for ure support x
chezmc
UKFM Member

Postby scartlass » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Well done to you, like you say getting anything at all is an achievement! so be proud of yourself. I applied for DLA a few years ago and of course was turned down, I didn't appeal as I just couldn't face it. I have had two ESA appeals both of these I won. I have sent off another ESA form the start of this months, so I expect I will be going to another appeal after ATOS has finished their fantasy stories. But I think I will apply for DLA/PIP as well and have all the stress of them both at once.

Pleased for you, you got something

Hugs xx
scartlass
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 am

I am so happy for you chezmc

hope you will get it back paid
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:41 am

Pleased for you. See not every non decison on the day turns out to be bad news in the end.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby chezmc » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 am

Thank u guys..the statement of reasons came last week ..i got the low rate for having a "low mood and needing motivation to wash/ dress "etc....didnt think i would win on those grounds at all and quite annoyed they didnt take into account the fibro or Me .. still a triumph and i received a full years back pay yay...so dont give up scartlass. x
chezmc
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits