disability payments

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

disability payments

Postby andynev67 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:22 pm

today i was officially diagnosed by a consultant that i had fms. does anyone get or is in process of dla or pip as it is now called?
andynev67
UKFM Newbie

Re: disability payments

Postby rchlearley » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi Hunny,
I gave up on all the benefits a long time ago. My partner supports me. Not many people are lucky enough to get anything. As far as Atos are concerned 'you can breathe so you can work'. I know PIP is different but I found it wasn't worth the stress.
Good luck in your application :-D

best wishes
Rae x
rchlearley
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:59 am

You dont get DLA because you have FM you get it because of the effect a problem has on your day to day life. I have moved your post into here as its a more appropriate place and hopefully you will get more replies.

PIP is a different matter, I think you need to speak to a benefits advisor to see what you may be entitled to
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Disability payments

Postby Miss Scarlett » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 am

Hi,

So sorry that you have just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.I feel that I can answer your question regarding
disability payments ie.D.L.A

Like you I had been very unwell for almost a year when I was finally diagnosed with the same,after being tested for
almost everything else.

I have not been able to work for exactly two & a half years now due to my FM.
I live alone,no partner,boyfriend or husband to financially assist me.

I applied for benefit once I couldn't work after three months of being unwell & ongoing sick notes from my GP.
Was put on basic Employment Supplement Allowance ie.ESA that was at the time from what I can remember
around £60 per week.Obviously after working for over twenty years as a Professional person,this barely assisted in all of my
ongoing living expenses such as: Mortgage,Gas,Electric,Water,Council Tax,Property Maintenance,Food,Pet Insurance & maintenance,
Telephone/mobile,Wifi,Car Insurance,Tax,petrol,maintenance etc...
So as you can imagine as well as being so unwell to work,I was living in debt with no way of finding a solution.

I was called for a ATOS assessment which came at almost a whole year after being diagnosed with FM & being on lowest rate of ESA.
I was too unwell to go to the set office they requested me to go to,so arranged for the assessment to take place in my own home.

To my astonishment the ATOS Doctor that came to see me was exceptionally nice and understanding and could see how I was struggling with my health.My ESA was approved straight but unbeknown to me,the Doctor requested i was given the higher rate of ESA which I am not sure if it is the PIP level? but is approx. £40 more per week and it was backdated from after 13 weeks after I initially started claiming ESA.

This was really helpful to me,so I could pay off incurred debts I had,but was still not anywhere a percentage of what I earned and was used to living on before I got unwell.

The ATOS Doctor that came to my home that day,advised me that I should also claim DLA and advised me to do so asap,which I did.

This leads me up to yesterday. I applied almost a year ago for DLA,after filling in 2 lots of extensive forms,I had been refused 2x then
was called to a Tribunal Hearing held yesterday in front of a panel of a Judge,a Doctor & another person plus a court clerk taking notes
in the background.
After a short interview of 20-30 minutes,answering honestly all their questions I was given the answer that I will not be awarded even the lowest rate of DLA because they felt I was not a severe enough case to warrant it.But mostly because I showed them I was able to make the journey to the hearing on my own with nobody aiding me (PS.My Mum is sick herself in hospital & I had nobody I could ask to come with me,friends & family all working) It took me great effort but I made it but I wish now that I didn't!

I don't want to discourage you from claiming what you are entitled to,as this is my story to date and I am sure that I am not alone in experiencing this disappointing outcome,but I have to accept it.What choice do I have ?

What I would say is try to claim whatever you feel you are entitled to ie.DLA or ESA depending how severe your disabilities are and muster all the strength you get to fill in the umpteen forms,go to assessments & even prepare yourself for possibly a Tribunal Hearing
like myself even if it is to make a point to DWHP that FM even without other additional medical conditions,is a 'REAL' illness and very
disabling & debilitating and for all who suffer with it, are not wishing to be so unwell,it has unfortunately happened!

Apologies for my long reply,but I hope this helps you and explains the difficulties you may face attempting to ask for some financial assistance depending on your circumstances.

I hope you get some pain relief & sleep.I will be interested to hear anyone else's comments and experiences regarding the same also.

Gentle Hugs to you all x
Miss Scarlett
UKFM Newbie

Postby andynev67 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 pm

thanks for your reply. atos seems to be taking forever to get to assesing my form. they were very shirty when i phoned them up. as for dla panel, cant they understand that any form of exercise or work has consequences of pain and exhaustion?. i went to hospital yesterday . 90 min in total, but have suffered in all areas since. so how can anyone with fms work properly??
hugs and thanks
andy :needhug:
andynev67
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits