Giving up work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Giving up work

Postby Ashton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:28 am

Couldn't get appointment with gp till Wednesday.got rid of the vomiting bug and went straight down with a cold.think my immune system is shot.went into work.boss was lovely didn't make me feel guilty for being off.she is going to chase occ health and we will see what happens
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:16 pm

..be prepared for long rant /getting rid of my feelings .

My road to ill health retirement finally comes to an end on Thursday (26/9/2013) when I finally become a pensioner . I haven't been back at work since end of May 2012 so by some standards I guess it wasn't that long but every step felt hard won and added to my stress levels and flares

I thought it would be relativly easy to get ill health retirement (IHR) but with the way pensions are at the moment and the rest of the economy strugglng I was told it was the last resort for most employers as it is too expensive.

My first 6 months off sick weren't too bad with just the occasional letter from HR to make sure I was still around & sending in sick notes . Then from 6 mths on I started to be asked to attend appointments with HR as part of thier managing attendance procedures . I always asked a union member to attend with me. I began a file to keep ever letter and log every phone call etc. I compiled a list of my symptoms and how they affected me on a daily basis and how I felt they would possibly impare or otherwise my job. Prior to discussing this with my employer I discussed it with the GP and she noted a few of the more serious symptoms & then kept a cope for her files .

Following a visit & discussion with a welfare officer, my employer decided to go to the final stage of the attendance procedure , missing out on the verbal & written warnings I thought I might get . They found that there were no reasonable adjustments that could allow me to attend work in my present role or even any other within my team. The then asked the Occ health to see me with the aim of suggesting any reasonable adjustment HR may have missed & that Occ Health might like to make or if Occ health couldn't see any to review if I was suitable for IHR.
Occ health came back with no reasonable adjustment but that I may improve with time off work and should be allowed to take a sabatical . If that not an option then I should be considered for dismissal on the grounds of inefficiency under the managing attendance policy or I might be suitable to be considered for IHR.
Union fought the sabatical & inefficiency and i had 2 further OHs reviews non of which said i was suitable for IHR. GP and consultant then got involved , I even went privatly to see the consultant who dx me. both confirmed my symptoms & likleyhood of them going away. In the end the consultant wrote that it was his opinion that i would never work again in my current employment or any future roles .
Had another OHS appointment after work received this letter and OHS conceeded that I was in all probability not suited to come back to work and IHR was offered.
I then had another meeting with HR / Welfare & the Union to sign all the legal documents and then had to go through a 3 month period of notice
So here I am out the other end.

I am relieved that the fear of will I won't I be able to go back to work has been removed but this has been replaced by another feeling of being on the scrapheap many years before I had envisaged leaving work . I am scared of how we will fair financially as I still have a child in thier teens who hopes to attend university , plus 2 others who because they don't earn a living wage are at home with us . I am scared how I will react to being a non person as many only view you because of what you do , plus I am scared of how I will react to having all this time on my hands most of which I can't enjoy due to my fatigue, pain etc.

So thats my story, sorry if I've bored you but I hope Ashtom & others have an easier route. Would be very interested to know how others eventually found acceptance of thier new life . I am finding it very difficult to cope with this particular twist in the road and hope to have CBT soon to help me cope that little bit more.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Ashton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi ice sake mum
I'm sorry things have been Sao awfull for you.it does sound horrendous.hugs to you.i am not expecting an easy time.guess I am feeling some relief that I can be kind to myself and I will not drag myself into work when I can't cope.dont want to give up work I love my job it's the first time in my life I have had any self worth.am dreading the day I leave think for anyone to lose the ability to work throws up all sorts of issues with feeling valued and a usefull member of our world.i know that I will struggle with not working being home can be very isolating.may be it would be good to find an activity to do to get out of the house.would help others to know how you cope when you leave work.
What a roller coaster we are on. :yikes:
Hope things improve for you.hugs
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:41 am

hi
what ISM tallies roughly with my own story
was working in education (p/t) and loved my job

getting a supportive letter from GP telling that in his/her opinion you are not fit to do your job and that there is a low likelyhood for you to gain meaningful employment before normal retirement age (or something down that line)
something like that can help and in my case (and I think ISM's) the GP could also refere to the "future" by looking at the "past" times off work etc

happy that I got IHR (tier1 with 100%, full amount of pension I would have received if I would have stayed employed until normal retirement age)

but it comes with a price
if I could I would trade in the pension if I could get my health back

going all the way provided me with some income which gives me some peace of mind financially
if I would have left employment I would be left with nothing

try and stick it out Ashton
your employer will find someone to cover for you (don't feel sorry for your mates, they will either get support or will be offered to do more hours for more pay etc)

still have to find the "activity" to do
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Ashton » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Been to docs.signed off for a month .feeling both relived and sad I miss being at work.put on amitripyline.refered for pain management.c b t and physio.
Ashton
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:22 pm

hi Ash

use this month to build up your stamina
plan your various appointments
relax and try to enjoy
go for a walk, or sit in the sun, treat yourself to some :cake: or whatever takes your fancy,
or if you are up for it and can afford it go away for a few days, somewhere nice
or declutter that cobwebbed wardrobe (helps me to get the cobwebs out of my brain)
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Ashton » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi fibro Lou
Thanks have been taking things slowly.being off work has made me realise how little I can do without feeling ill.now when I feel bad I can stop and rest it's fab. :-D
Ashton
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits