Not sure what to do?!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Not sure what to do?!

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi
I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and i am only 25! :-|
Anyway i am a support worker which sounds ironic as i can barely support myself. I have physio, pain clinic and rhemotology coming up soon but i am really struggling with work. I have put in a claim for PIP but this could take ages. I am thinking of going part time but i really cant afford to live off £400 A month. Is there any other benefits i can get help with now?! i know that if i get PIP i can cut my hours less then 30 and get help with working tax but i know what the system is like and probably will have to appeal for PIP which could take months but i really cant continue like this. Its not fair on the people i am suppose to be supporting and the staff team. Yes i am looking for a better job for my condition but is really difficult when care work is all i have for experience and qualification!
Any help and advice would be very much appreciated as i am stressing about everything which is causing flare ups!
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Re: Not sure what to do?!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:15 pm

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: and :welcome: to the forum. We have a few members that are around your age, so you're not alone on here with us older, mumsie types :wave: :wave: :wave:

ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) can be claimed by some people who are still working and meet the criteria for the benefit. This is known as "permitted work".

To see if you would qualify for this, you would need to talk to a Benefits Adviser, or other person who knows the system well as they will be able to give you advice tailored specifically to you, based on your type of employment, hours worked, income etc.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:01 am

Put your details into www.turn2us.co.uk and it will give you some info which might help. You can play around with different scenarios of part time hours to see how things work out.

If your income is low you can get help with housing costs , however if in LHA would only qualify for a shared room rate, however every little helps.

The eligibility criteria for PIP are harder than DLA. Having Fibro doesn't necessarily make you eligible for PIP unless you need help with personal care yourself (not housework) or mobility is a serious issue. I'm being honest when I say if your area of work is in giving physical care as a support worker I can't see you qualifying for PIP yourself.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby xxteeniexx88 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi thanks for the advise I am aware that they may question my work but to be honest I'm. Not able to support them as I am suppose to and if anything the mobility is the worse due to the fact that I can't support them I am looking for a different job but till then I can't afford to be off work!!
xxteeniexx88
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits