Equality Act 2010 and DDA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Equality Act 2010 and DDA

Postby felinefine » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 am

Hi all

I hope this is the right place, I went to the GP yesterday and she wouldn't change my meds until she'd got the letter from the consultant..Still in pain daily. I have been given a new certificate for work up until the 20th Oct. Other certs have stated recovery from the TIA's but now she has put this and Fibromyalgia. Does anyone know if FMS is covered by DDA or has anyone tried to get their employers to recognise this. I'm worried about losing my job and I live alone and have to pay all the bills including a mortgage

many thanksxx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Re: Equality Act 2010 and DDA

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I've moved you into this bit of the forum as it's a more suitable part for what you're wondering about.

The Equalities Act 2010 replaced the DDA with the aim of bringing several acts on similar subjects into one act covering them all.

Under The Equalities Act, FM is covered as it meets the definition of a disability as stated in the Act
as a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on the ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.‘Substantial’ means more than minor or trivial. ‘Impairment’ covers, for example, long-term medical conditions such as asthma and diabetes, and fluctuating or progressive conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or motor neurone disease. A mental impairment includes mental health conditions (such as bipolar disorder or depression), learning difficulties (such as dyslexia) and learning disabilities (such as autism and Down’s syndrome).

Once an employer has been advised by an employee that they have been dx'd with a condition covered by the Act, the employer is them obliged, under law, to work with the employee to see what "reasonable adjustments" can be brought in to make the job as suitable for the employee to carry on doing with their illness/condition/ disability taken into consideration.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Foz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:00 pm

that's interesting, but I don't expect it to cover the self employed :roll:
Foz
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Does this help......
The Act also extends protections to some other characteristics and introduces other changes. This Act applies equally to employees, workers and many of those who are self-employed (only Freelancers who fall under Part 5 of the Equality Act 2010 are covered – that is those who are described as ‘contract workers’ and are contracted personally to do the work, i.e you cannot claim discrimination against your Employer if you are contracted for the provision of services and hire someone else, or sub-contract someone else, to do the work – you must do the work yourself personally).

If you are self employed, looking into the details a little more in relation to your specific situation would be advisable so that you know just how it covers you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby felinefine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 am

Thank you for the answer here xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits