DLA Renewal

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA Renewal

Postby Graciebaby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:35 pm

I got up this morning feeling ghastly.
I even popped a Naproxen on top of my other meds to try to ease the aches and pains, as they were almost intolerable.
Then a brown envelope came through the letter box. I picked it up and thought......oh lordy, I just can't cope with any of this today.

However, the DWP have made the decision to continue my DLA at the same rates until the start of 2016!

The relief is almost indescribable. They have actually made the right decision according to my needs. HRM and MRC.
It means I am able to keep my motorbility vehicle along with my blue badge. This gives me the only little bit of independence I have left. I was seriously concerned about what it would do to my mental health if they had decided to reduce my awards. My life is barely a shadow of the life I had a few years ago and my DLA just about keeps me coping with it all.

I cannot describe the relief, shame I feel so dreadful today......I don't even have the energy to laugh or cry!

So.......it goes to show that sometimes they do bother to read the information you send in and their decision does acknowledge your limitations and daily need for support.
I'm not sure how I might have faired under the new PIP regs, but at least I don't have to worry about that for a while.

All I can say to others is, when you see any health care professional ......consultant, physio, etc, ask for a copy of their report. It is your right to have one. Save them all and when you apply for any benefit, make copies and include them. Also, when you are writing out your health issues or describing your needs or disabilities, quote from them where they support what you are saying and with the quote, reference the report ie - with the quote, put see letter from Dr********* dated *******page number**
Use everything you can to support your claim and make it as easy as possible for them to read your information, particularly any additional info you enclose with your claim.

Go to your local library if you have no printer at home and photocopy every single page you are sending, including the booklet you have completed (ESA50) or whatever. Keep it safe ready for your next application, you can then refer back to it whenever you re apply. I found this helped me enormously. I was able to add any new info (such as further deterioration or any new diagnosis) and not forget to include any of the old info. Because lets face it, foggy brains are not the best when completing paperwork!

I've just remembered to take a deep breath after opening the brown envelope of doom!!

I'm still very interested to hear about how others get on with their renewal claims, either for DLA or for PIP. I'm very curious as to whether folks level of awards are reduced under PIP, because after all, isn't that what the Government is trying their best to do?

I'm off to celebrate with a couple of chocolate biccies and a nice warm drink :)

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Re: DLA Renewal

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Fab news for you Grace :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Helps give others that little bit of extra hope that their decisions will be the right ones as well :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Treece » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Totally delighted for you Grace, my renewal is in February, still not sure if its DLA or PIP i will apply for...

xxx take it easy xxx

Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby wendy10 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:02 pm

thats great news grace well done x....ive been waiting since june for a reply from pip phoned them today and still got to wait they said should have a decission before christmas.
wendy10
UKFM Member

Postby Michelleg123 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:08 pm

I've been waiting for my appeal date since 2nd July when my last one was postponed. I had a home assessment before that and the doctor basically said I was overweight and if I lost some weight I would be ok - never asked about my fibromyalgia, CPS, MPS, IBS, crumbling discs or arthritic knee !! I was very angry with his comments so I appealed and the tribunal hadn't received my letter hence the reason why it was postponed, my money was stopped and I have had nothing since June 4th - I am living on £8 a week after bills and rent, I can't even afford warmer clothes or shoes, I stay in bed where it's warm, I'm so depressed it's untrue. The medication isn't working and I am just getting more and more down, I am in constant daily pain, headaches, IBS and depressed and I still applied for over 50 jobs but as soon as I say what's wrong with me they don't want to know. I can't understand how they can just take it off me without prior warning. I now have debts I can't pay and I owe my family money too - I am that desperate I have involved my Local MP and the CAB !! I'm glad you got awarded yours - it gives me hope !! X
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 am

Michelleg123 wrote:I've been waiting for my appeal date since 2nd July when my last one was postponed. I had a home assessment before that and the doctor basically said I was overweight and if I lost some weight I would be ok - never asked about my fibromyalgia, CPS, MPS, IBS, crumbling discs or arthritic knee !! I was very angry with his comments so I appealed and the tribunal hadn't received my letter hence the reason why it was postponed, my money was stopped and I have had nothing since June 4th - I am living on £8 a week after bills and rent, I can't even afford warmer clothes or shoes, I stay in bed where it's warm, I'm so depressed it's untrue. The medication isn't working and I am just getting more and more down, I am in constant daily pain, headaches, IBS and depressed and I still applied for over 50 jobs but as soon as I say what's wrong with me they don't want to know. I can't understand how they can just take it off me without prior warning. I now have debts I can't pay and I owe my family money too - I am that desperate I have involved my Local MP and the CAB !! I'm glad you got awarded yours - it gives me hope !! X

Sorry to hear you're feeling so low. Have you checked you're receiving all the benefits you may be able to claim? eg ESA if you're unable to work , HB, Council Tax etc. You can put your details into www.turn2us.org.uk to check. With regard to any outstanding debts you may have, if any of them are related to credit cards, unsecured loans etc, contact the creditor and explain due to change in circumststances you can only afford a token payment of £1 per month. They might complain and make a bit of nosie about it , but there's very little they an do about it other than accept your £1 offer.

Would also suggest if you're feeling more and more depressed you make an appointmnet with your GP and see if there's any help he can offer. Hope things improve soon.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits