''Fit to work''...how many hours?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

''Fit to work''...how many hours?

Postby snowdrop » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 am

To be classed as fit for work how many hours are you expected to be able to work for? If you can only manage say 20hrs are you still classed as fit to work?
snowdrop
UKFM Member

Re: ''Fit to work''...how many hours?

Postby GinaD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:39 am

I think so yesI work 16 and although Im struggling I woud find it hard to claim now as I would have voluntarily become unemployed :(
GinaD
UKFM Member

Postby nkats mum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:00 am

I was told that I had to claim JSA after my ESA appeal was on going and I had to explain that I could not guarentee any employer a set time to start or finish or how many hours I would be able to work because of my conditions. We might manage 20 'good' hours during the week but can you honestly say that you could work to a shift?? and not only that, but how would the work affect you fibro. How many times have you miss a social occasion because of your fibro?? I would love to be able to work but like I said it wouldn't be fair to an employer and would make my fibro and other conditions worse.
nkats mum
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:19 am

hi :wave: and welcome :welcome: snowdrop

don't know if i understand right where you are coming from
it is not quite clear from your post

if it is regards "sick note"
as far as i know there is no set hour
on your "sick note" it says either fit or not fit
if it says fit it can have some restrictions/adjustments like
- phased return
- reduced amount of hours (set amount) for a certain time
- with such and such adjustments
- not before or not after such a time
- set breaks
- etc, the list is endless and you and your gp decide what it is you are able to do and if that is a workable possiblity for your employer

if it's not regards "sick note" please ask again with more info
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby jackiecarr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:34 pm

I had my appeal turned down. They have told me i will still get my mobility and lower care rate but i dont qualify for esa support. I will still get my stamp paid so i get a pension. I went to job center asked for a job and they told me no employer would have me as i am disabled and i cant say which days i would be well :( I have been with my husband 6yrs and because he has saved for 40 years he has to keep me. He saves in pensions so he can retire at 57, now he cant. I would agree they take in his saveings from when we married but to take all his hard work is disgraceful. Now he cant retire. I really feel like leaving him so he can keep his dream of retiring but he says he loves me and he needs me. ALL YOU WHO SAVE I WOULD SUGEST YOU STOP CAUSE GOVERMENT JUST TAKE IT ALL ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
jackiecarr
UKFM Newbie

Postby relf1960 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 pm

If i hear 1 more time, that im under estimating myself, by declaring my self unfit for work, im going to scream. Why do these job centre workers think they know better than me about my condition? Ive told them I would love to work, but no employer in the right mind would hire me. Especially with so many fit ppl looking for work too. I was told to not tell them about fibro. I said u mean lie to them, she said no, just dont mention it. So on the first day when i arrive half an hour late, n big circles round my eyes from no sleep due to anxiety of having to b at work at a certain time, n not in my pj's, untidy cus had no energy to do my hair etc, boring every one stupid by crying out in pain, being in the loo more than out of it due to bladder problems n ibs, going home early cus over done it , and taking the next day off cus the stress of how bad ive been,has made me ill. And i was supposed to hide my illness. Yeah right! They just avnt got a clue av they!
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby icklebananer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Im stuck in the same predicament. Ive been signed off for 'stress and anxiety' (even though iv had my diagnosis for Fibro - i think my dr cant be assed!) for the last 6 month and now my doctor wants me to return to work, however im just not ready. I cant even do more than the washing up and making the bed without feeling exhausted. Even walking to the shop or doctors finish me off for 2 days. I have an appointment at the drs later today and im hoping hes gonna sign me back off. Just the idea of going on JSA and loosing my benefit because i didnt apply for a job (cos i knew i couldnt do it) or not being well enough to attend an interview - it makes me so much more ill. At the moment im trying to do 5-10mins excersice (walking on a crosstrainer slowly) a day and its killing me so im hoping the dr will sign me back off. I still havent had my medical assessment from DWP yet but hoping they will help when i do but im very doubtful. The other problem is i think my dr is stuck in the time warp of thinking its all in my head but i plan on showing him some of the recent research to lighten his mind. I sont want to go on pregabalin or amitriptilin cos they make me even more panicky. How are we supposed to deal with anxiety when the government condems our condition - do they expect us to starve to death because we cant work or get any benefits?!!!
I used to have prospects but now at 25 I'm stuck in a society against helping those with long term illness. Trying to fight back one day at a time. Fibro Princess

icklebananer
UKFM Newbie

Postby relf1960 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:15 pm

I sympathies with u here. I was sick n tired of telling docs for years how tired i was n they just sent me for blood tests to see im anaemic etc. i think id had chronic fatigue all those years as the pain side came out more in recent years. Because i had both a shoulder n hand op from arthritis, i think they thought all my pain was due to that too. Then started the other rubbish we get. No memory, no energy, vertigo etc and cus id been on anti depressants for years due to panic attacks, my sick notes had anxiety on for a few months. I knew it was more than that, n luckily during sessions of massage, i came across the tender spots, which it wasnt until much later when i was self diagnosing that i found out they were to do with fibro, and everything else fell in place. So my sick notes changed to fibro once the docs agreed with me. Thing is though, stress and anxiety do make u ill like fibro, so the sick notes r correct, but when ppl ask why ur off n u say stress n anxiety, they think your weak n just making excuses to b off. I felt a bit better having the name to my condition. It gives the list of symptons and stops u sounding like a hyperchondriac saying ive this, this n this, also this, n not forgetting this, n ppl just roll there eyes at u.
See a diff doc if u can. Ask him to put fibro on your sick note because it describes all whats wrong with u in one name, and tell him if he dont sign u off u will starve, cus no way can i go to work, n so wont have any money coming in without a sick note. Maybe u can ask at reception to see a young doctor cus they have had training on fibro that the older ones never had. Apply for esa so u dont have to sign on n make sure u apply gwith them to go in the category that dont attend job seekers, i cant remember the name. U will need a letter off ya doc to say why u cant be in that group too. If i were u, id write the letter yourself and hand it over to the doc, ask them to either sign or stamp it, or write u something similar. Just mention on it all the reasons why u r not fit to work plus why u r unable to go to assessments in the near future. X
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Relf, there are some comments in this post which could give members a little cause for concern to say the least and lead to a number of questions being asked, hopefully you can address them so things ca be understood things a little more.
relf1960 wrote:I sympathies with u here. I was sick n tired of telling docs for years how tired i was n they just sent me for blood tests to see im anaemic etc. i think id had chronic fatigue all those years as the pain side came out more in recent years. Because i had both a shoulder n hand op from arthritis, i think they thought all my pain was due to that too. Then started the other rubbish we get. No memory, no energy, vertigo etc and cus id been on anti depressants for years due to panic attacks, my sick notes had anxiety on for a few months. I knew it was more than that, n luckily during sessions of massage, i came across the tender spots, which it wasnt until much later when i was self diagnosing that i found out they were to do with fibro, and everything else fell in place. So my sick notes changed to fibro once the docs agreed with me. Thing is though, stress and anxiety do make u ill like fibro, so the sick notes r correct, but when ppl ask why ur off n u say stress n anxiety, they think your weak n just making excuses to b off. I felt a bit better having the name to my condition. It gives the list of symptons and stops u sounding like a hyperchondriac saying ive this, this n this, also this, n not forgetting this, n ppl just roll there eyes at u.
See a diff doc if u can. Ask him to put fibro on your sick note because it describes all whats wrong with u in one name, and tell him if he dont sign u off u will starve, cus no way can i go to work, n so wont have any money coming in without a sick note. Maybe u can ask at reception to see a young doctor cus they have had training on fibro that the older ones never had. Apply for esa so u dont have to sign on n make sure u apply gwith them to go in the category that dont attend job seekers, i cant remember the name. U will need a letter off ya doc to say why u cant be in that group too. If i were u, id write the letter yourself and hand it over to the doc, ask them to either sign or stamp it, or write u something similar. Just mention on it all the reasons why u r not fit to work plus why u r unable to go to assessments in the near future. X

relf1960 wrote:I sympathies with u here. I was sick n tired of telling docs for years how tired i was n they just sent me for blood tests to see im anaemic etc. i think id had chronic fatigue all those years as the pain side came out more in recent years. Because i had both a shoulder n hand op from arthritis, i think they thought all my pain was due to that too. Then started the other rubbish we get. No memory, no energy, vertigo etc and cus id been on anti depressants for years due to panic attacks, my sick notes had anxiety on for a few months. I knew it was more than that, n luckily during sessions of massage, i came across the tender spots, which it wasnt until much later when i was self diagnosing that i found out they were to do with fibro, and everything else fell in place. So my sick notes changed to fibro once the docs agreed with me.

Reading this, with you saying that you have self dx'd, it suggests that you may not have gone thru the same process that others have to get answers as to the cause/name of their problems, esp with you saying that
relf1960 wrote: I knew it was more than that, n luckily during sessions of massage, i came across the tender spots, which it wasnt until much later when i was self diagnosing that i found out they were to do with fibro, and everything else fell in place. So my sick notes changed to fibro once the docs agreed with me.
You've mentioned being self dx'd HERE as well, but nothing about having it confirmed.
relf1960 wrote:See a diff doc if u can. Ask him to put fibro on your sick note because it describes all whats wrong with u in one name, and tell him if he dont sign u off u will starve, cus no way can i go to work, n so wont have any money coming in without a sick note. Maybe u can ask at reception to see a young doctor cus they have had training on fibro that the older ones never had.

Usually a GP won't put whatever the patient wants as the dx/reason for being unable to work, the reason they give will be based on what is in the patients records, as well as how they are presenting themselves during the appt/consult. And whilst it is often said on here that it tends to be the younger, more recently qualified GPs that have more awareness and knowledge of conditions such as FM, it isn't a given that because they are younger that they will be open to the idea of FM. There are a good number of decent, older GPs who know of the condition as well as accept it as a possibility if a patient shows symptoms of it.
relf1960 wrote:
Apply for esa so u dont have to sign on n make sure u apply gwith them to go in the category that dont attend job seekers, i cant remember the name.

Wrt ESA, a claim cannot be made to go into a specific group, such as the Support Group.The decision as to which group a claimant is placed in comes down to how all the info, evidence, assessments etc are interpreted by the Decision Maker, with the option being there to ask for a reconsideration and/or go thru the Appeals process should it be felt that the wrong decision has been given. Also, some feel that with the right sort of help and support, returning to some form of employment may well be possible for them esp as funding could be available for them to retrain/learn new skills or update and formalise those that may be self~taught or have come about from in~house training from previous employers. So for such claimants, being placed in the other group, the Work Related Activity Group, is what they are looking for.
relf1960 wrote:
U will need a letter off ya doc to say why u cant be in that group too. If i were u, id write the letter yourself and hand it over to the doc, ask them to either sign or stamp it, or write u something similar. Just mention on it all the reasons why u r not fit to work plus why u r unable to go to assessments in the near future. X

Whilst in some cases a letter from a GP explaining why, in their opinion, being placed in one group may be preferable to the other, may be helpful, it isn't something that is actually needed.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits