If I sign on am I agreeing to work fulltime?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

If I sign on am I agreeing to work fulltime?

Postby snowdrop » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I will try to be clear but so worried that everything comes out in a jumble.I am 59 and was claiming long term sickness benefit.I went through the ATOS thing ...no pionts..now waiting for appeal hearing.If I loose the appeal and have to sign on am I agreeing that Iam fit for and looking for fulltime work.With the best will in the world I will not cope with fulltime work.I am even worried that I won't manage to sign on if it is a bad day.I have just spent six weeks with no money as I was unable to get to docs for sicknote on time although I did get it all eventually.I have heard about sanctions and so worried that job centre will ask me to do things I am unable to do and they will sanction me if I don't comply.At the moment my bigest worry is....I can't stand in a queue how can I sign on...sounds silly I know but this realy scares me...I live on my own and have no other means of support...I feel like the worlds bigest scrounger at the moment...I would work if I could
Last edited by snowdrop on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowdrop
UKFM Member

Re: If I sign on am I agreeing to work fulltime?

Postby clubsound4 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm

my partner was on sickness benefit and low rate DLA as it was, he had everything taken off him,went to appeal and lost but he went to his GP because he still wasn't fit and has put in a new claim, however you are put on 71 quid per week but have to send in sicknotes and he is waiting for a medical which is this Thursday as it happens and if they deem him unfit his benefit should go up,,
clubsound4
UKFM Member

Postby wendy10 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:23 pm

i got mine stopped back in may so i appealed still not got a date through and still no money....they did say that as it is e.s.a now and i was swapped to that from incapacity and that i had been on it a year and that is all you are entitled to be on it for... so even if i win my apeal i still wont get any money as my partner works (but he is only on very low min wage) so as he works and i have had it for 1 year thats it... they will pay your stamp for as long as they recieve sick notes.....so i dont know wether i have to sign on or not as struggling with out any money... should i go there and take all medical notes with me then maybe they can sort it from there....i understand your dilema its not easy is it..ive got fibro spinal deteriation, bulging disks and arthritis
wendy10
UKFM Member

Postby jacf47 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Wendy10,
I didn't get enough points to get ESA so I had to go onto Job Seekers and like you I was very worried that I would be expected to work 40 hours a week.
I knew I couldn't do this so at the 1st interview I was told that I could look for 16 to 20 hours a week.
I now have employment with A company who is a supported business so the main staff all have a health problems or conditions, they understand that at times due to what is medically wrong with you that you may need time off to go to the Hospital.
It isn't easy working but I am very lucky I work 21 hours a week so I work on a Monday have Tuesday off back in Wednesday day off Thursday and then 5 hours on a Friday.
If you also ask to see Disability Adviser at the Job Centre they should be helpful with your hunt for work.
I hope this helps
Jacquie Gentle :hugs: :hugs:
jacf47
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits