Am I being pushed out?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Am I being pushed out?

Postby brawny » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:26 pm

Sorry if this is a long one..I am a TA in Primary School. I was diagnosed with fibro about 3 years ago. I have been able to continue my job by reducing my hours to just five half days. Unfortunately over the last year I have had some severe flare ups which has resulted in me having a lot of time off. I was asked earlier in the year if afternoons were easier for me which I said yes to - my working time was then changed to 3 afternoons and one full day which gave me Sat Sun and Mon free and this worked really well. Before breaking up for the summer holidays I was told I would be supporting a child (I have been working as a Class TA) and would be expected to work every morning from 8.30 till 12.45 (this includes a 20 min break). I was told it would HAVE to be from 8.30 to check everything was in place for said child even though two other ladies who have children are able to start at 9am. I felt I had no choice and these are the hours I have been doing since the beginning of Sept. I have unfortunately been very ill and off work for the last 2 and half weeks. Mornings are a huge struggle for me. I had a text message yesterday from my Headteacher saying that as my condition seems to be deteriorating they are sending me back to Occ Health. I have been to Occ Health twice already (last time March 2013) and they have said the same things both times; that I am likely to have more time off as the condition is so unpredictable; that there is no reason I can't do my job when well enough and restrictions are put in place for no lifting, stretching, excessive bending etc. My question is why would she send me back again - what is she hoping to hear? I just don't know what to do as it is unlikely I will return to work Monday. I am a member of the union - do I talk to them?
I would be really grateful for some advice. Many thanks.
Last edited by brawny on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brawny
UKFM Member

Re: Am I being pushed out?

Postby sensualitykj » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Hey, I had a car crash in 2002 when I was working as a mental health nurse. I've been in pain since the crash, and got diagnoised with FM. I had various assessments to try and make working easier, and had to opt out of various tasks. I also had to see Occupional health whenever I had been signed off by the doctor. 5 years after the car crash I was discharged due to ill health because I was constantly being signed off sick, no matter how little work I did!

Your question is "am I being pushed out?". I lost trust in management years ago, so my negative view point is that it would be easier for them if you left rather than accommodate you. Being asked what hours suit you better, then being given the opposite hours doesn't sound very supportive to me. I would definately recommend you contact your Union as I left it too late and was assigned a new rep who didn't seem to know what they were doing! Luckily I had an understanding manager who was really supportive. I'm in the process of being retired from nursing due to ill health, as I took out a pension plan when I started nursing. Good Luck! :-)
Be in the present moment. The past is a memory, the future isn't here yet. So enjoy the NOW!
sensualitykj
UKFM Member

Postby petareynolds » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 pm

I am a former teacher... I was pushed out for having fibro... unfortunately I think you are being pushed out too... see Occ Health - your head teacher has to listen to them. If your union rep is respected then contact them too... mine was just out to make himself look good to management... good luck!
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby brawny » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Thank you for the replies. That's what I think too. My Head originally was very supportive but I know from the vibes she has changed. I do understand people can't be off sick indefinitely but I think there's ways and means to sort it. My husband is gobsmacked that I was told by text about being referred back to Occ Health. Well I will keep you posted...thanks again.
brawny
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 am

oh no
had a long reply and boooooooooh it is gone
briefly now

join union (googled come across this: http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/MemberSupport/ ... /index.htm
get "sickness absense procedure" from HR, read and mark what is important
only except stuff in writing ie official letter (no texts)
let them know (in writing) that all what is not in letter or email will not be accepted ie text messages, meetings on the stairs etc only if written in official letter/email
if time and date of Occu Doc doesn't suit you, send email to HR and ask them for new appointmant soandso day, between ie 11.00 and 2.00 (and if you were happy with a specific Occu Doc) with Doc soandso

when you reduced hours was it written down? how was it worded? does it say the afternoons?
did they ask you regards changing your days back to mornings and to "one to one"? can they just change this without asking you)

work out with Occu Doc ie only afternoons (or what suits you regards time, days etc)
your employer has to take into consideration what Occu Doc suggests (also what your GP sugests but Occu Doc counts more)

can't remember the other stuff, sorry
hope it helps
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits