Blue Badge Occupational Health Assesment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge Occupational Health Assesment

Postby shelly-biddle » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi all,

I have been told I need to attend an assesment for a Blue Badge and was wondering if anyone else has been for one and could offer any advice and let me know what to expect.

Thanks

Shelly
shelly-biddle
UKFM Newbie

Re: Blue Badge Occupational Health Assesment

Postby FibroEllie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:17 pm

Sorry I can't help! But I'm interested in the Blue Badge thing. I'm ok some times and others I can hardly walk to the car outside my house, so how can I apply for a Blue Badge. And if you have a BB do you get a parking slot outside your house (this is my priority as often I'm ok, but then end up too tired to get from my car to the house).
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Postby shelly-biddle » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Hi, I think it all dependa on your council, from what I can gather they all differ. Sorry I cant be anymore help.

Shelly xXx
shelly-biddle
UKFM Newbie

Postby Johafa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:42 pm

I can tell you how my assessment went if that can help you.

I have a severe chronic lower back pain and my right leg gives way from time to time and I also have FM. So I showed up for the assessment using my walking stick (I didn't have my wheel chair or walking frame yet at the time). The assessor explained what we would do and asked a few questions about my health. So basically, he said I had to walk a certain distance and climb some stairs and come back. I went ok but I told him that I couldn't walk without my husband's help and explained about my leg. He said that I couldn't use my husband for this assessment. So I warned him to catch me if I fall. So we started walking and after about 10 steps, my leg went and I held on to him not to hit the ground. He stopped the entire assessment and said we couldn't go on as I couldn't walk any further. 3 days later I received a letter saying that I qualified for this badge and asked for payment. Within 2 weeks I had my badge.

Basically, they want to know how far you can walk and how many steps you can climb. Hope it helps you a bit.

Good luck :-)
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Wow! You have to actually go for an assessment?

When I got mine, that I have had for over 10 years, the Dr just filled out a form. The permit arrived in the mail about 2 weeks later. It was dated for renewal 6 years down the road. The Dr filled out the renewal and then from now on I don't have to renew it. They will send another automatically in the mail after 6 years.

It seems an easier process here in Canada. The Dr fills out all the forms and states the reasons you need it. If the Dr says you need it then it is automatically approved.

Your Dr also does all the work for a temporary one in such cases as a broken leg, heart attack etc.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby syrena » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 pm

I live in Scotland, I have rhumatoid arthritis and fibro. Some days can not walk the very short distance from my house door to my car, been a long time since I have walked the 2 mins to my village shop. Havnt had a pain free day since new year and doctor reckons I'm having a flare up ! Is there anyone also from Scotland who can enlighten me on the process for applying to my council for a blue badge ? I am currently on ESA! Thank you and hope everyone who has pain and difficulty like all of us on here are successful as there's so many pele out there who abbuse the system and "pretend" to be ill, if any of them had our pain for even one day they would never pretend again and be gratefull of not having our ailments xx
syrena
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 pm

i am sorry you don't have a parking permit. It certainly seems that you need one. I hope someone can help you.

As far as people faking being ill.....I have been to numerous tribunals and hearings over 24 years. I have seen and heard it all........the ones who try to fake it, don't make it past the decision makers eyes. I have yet to see/hear one who has.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

The process for applying for a Blue Badge has changed over recent times, seemingly to bring them into more of a line with how other benefits and help are assessed and allocated. The application form is now much longer, and some have described the questions asked on it as being similar to those asked when claiming DLA.

Once the form has been completed and returned, it will be looked at, incl any supporting evidence that has been sent in with it. If there is enough info for a decision to be made, then the applicant will be advised in writing if they have been successful. If additional info is needed, this will be obtained, which could include an physical assessment to determine eligibility. Again, the applicant will be advised of this.

For those who are not eligible for a Blue Badge due to being in receipt of other qualifying benefits, it seems that a fee is payable, which seems to average around £10.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HazelB » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 pm

syrena wrote:I live in Scotland, I have rhumatoid arthritis and fibro. Some days can not walk the very short distance from my house door to my car, been a long time since I have walked the 2 mins to my village shop. Havnt had a pain free day since new year and doctor reckons I'm having a flare up ! Is there anyone also from Scotland who can enlighten me on the process for applying to my council for a blue badge ? I am currently on ESA! Thank you and hope everyone who has pain and difficulty like all of us on here are successful as there's so many pele out there who abbuse the system and "pretend" to be ill, if any of them had our pain for even one day they would never pretend again and be gratefull of not having our ailments xx

Hi Syrena, I live in Renfrewshire and in this area, if you don't automatically qualify (ie through having dla) you can apply for an assessment, and I think you need to get your doctor to complete a form. If you pass you get your blue badge and may also be able to get a parking space at the house. Renfrewshire council charge £20 admin fee for processing your badge application if successful. Not sure if other councils in Scotland operate same way x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits