On the prowl for a new job

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

On the prowl for a new job

Postby mary251 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:56 am

Sooo... after 18 months of pretending I'm perfectly fit and healthy, struggling to get through the day and (most importantly to me at the time) trying to ensure that no one sees exactly now much I struggle with day-to-day activities, I've decided that dental nursing probably isn't the best job for someone who needs help walking the ten paces from her car to her front door at the end of a day. The FM diagnosis was really the nail in the coffin for my dental nursing, as it simply confirmed what I knew in my bones already; that I'm not as able as I'd like to be and need to slow down and take care of myself first and foremost.

I have looked over the requirements for PIP, and I don't think that I'd qualify for them at this time, as I'm generally able to get about, at a push, and can still cook, clean and so on, as long as I don't push myself too hard, otherwise I'm nothing more than a useless lump on the sofa grunting in pain every time something touches me!

Anyways, as PIP is out of the question, I'm looking for a new job. Something part-time that doesn't involve being on my feet all day and running around like a headless chicken because the dentist is running late :roll: Don't get me wrong, my bosses can be understanding, if they remember, but there have been several times I've been told off for going too slowly when I can barely see through the pain and they ran late because they were on their phones in between patients. Occasionally, they'll remember I'm not as able-bodied as the other girls, and allow me to swap out, but it's rare.

Ooops... there is a reason behind this, I promise! And slagging off my employers was not it!

My question is this... is it worth mentioning my FM in a job application? Of course, if the question "do you consider yourself to have a disability" pops up, I put 'yes', but bog standard job adverts don't ask things like that. I want to be open and honest with any potential employer, but I also don't want to be looked over because of the FM. I know it's illegal, but it does happen unfortunately. I just wanted to know what people here thought. I'm applying for reception/admin roles, by the way.

**gentle hugs all round**
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Re: On the prowl for a new job

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Have you visited your local JobCentre yet?? Just wondering as there will be a Disability Employment Adviser there who can help you with finding something more suitable jobwise. They can also work with your current employer to help devise ways to make your job as suitable as possible for you to carry on doing with FM taken into account. This might be something to look into if you feel you could carry on doing your current job with the right sort of support around you.

Wrt PIP, you might want to consider talking to a Benefits Adviser about possible eligibility for making a claim. As well as being familiar with the system, they also know howto phrase things to help with meeting the qualifying descriptors, which can help give you a bit better chance of success.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: On the prowl for a new job

Postby FinkyDink » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm

My DEA said that you don't have to mention it until you are offered the job, but I must warn you, I didn't tell my new employer, then when I was having difficulty I did tell them and they had a go at me for being dishonest and refused to make any adjustments ( I asked for reduction in hours). What is written in laws and on paper doesn't necessarily work in the real world :/ but I just thought I wouldn't get a job if I told them :/
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits