Confirmed case of Fibromyalgia and work problems

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Confirmed case of Fibromyalgia and work problems

Postby MissTLJ » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Hello

I have just been given a confirmed diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and I also have Multiple Sclerosis, I have just been given a sick note off from work from my GP for two weeks which runs out on the 29th November for the effects of the tablets which she has given me which are 10 mg of Amitriptyline which are making me feel terrible and I will be going back to my GP next tuesday the 26th November to tell her that .

I am worried about my work situation though because I work as Police Staff here in Bristol and we are under a strict Absence Management Policy and a Bradford Score system for the purpose of this, is Fibromyalgia recognised as a disability as under the Bradford Score, disability related is treated differently also between now and the 29th November I am having to face the prospect of having a home visit from my boss which understandly I am dreading, and it is mentioned in our Absence Management Policy, I have spoken to my Union which I have been left now feeling I have got no choice but to accept that I will have to put up with this home visit from my boss, how do I stand legally if I refuse a home visit.

Also is there any good natural forms of pain relief for fibromyalgia and can I claim Working Tax Credit with a disability element and also would I be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit as I use a VDU and I will shortly possibly facing a operation for decompression of the Ulnar Nerve in my right arm.

I was wondering with all my disabilities is there any realistic chance of going on first tier of the Local Government Ill Health Retirement Pension in case things get really bad with either my fibromyalgia or multiple sclerois or both.

Thank you to all for any help or advice you can give.
MissTLJ
UKFM Newbie

Re: Confirmed case of Fibromyalgia and work problems

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 pm

MissTLJ......Why are you stressing about a home visit from your Boss? Are you getting yourself worked up when not necessary? I ask that because a lot of us with fibro tend to worry and make ourselves feel worse...relax!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm

:welcome: to our little FibroFamily :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Sorry to hear you've had this condition added to your collection of pawlynesses :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

There have been a few mentions of the Bradford Score on here in relation to working, and a few members have had experiences of it being applied.

From what I can gather, as it is a long time since I was last able to work, the Equality Act 2010 creates a duty on employers to tailor their actions to the individual circumstances of disabled employees. As certain disabilities may lead to a greater likelihood of short-duration absences or to a higher total of days of absence, caution is needed in taking action as a consequence of the data generated from the application of the Bradford Scorer. The EA allows disabled employees to request 'reasonable adjustments' in situations where they are disadvantaged by generic processes. Failure to provide such adjustments, or to adequately justify why they cannot be provided, may leave an employer open to action for breach of the EA. Reasonable adjustments in the case of the Bradford Score might include recording Disability-Related Absence separately from Sickness Absence, or individually tailoring targets. Reasonable adjustments may also be requested by disabled employees for relief from any negative consequences of application of the Bradford Score, such as disciplinary action or reduced salary awards.

The definition of a disability under the EA is
.....a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.
and with the Bradford Score having to take the EA into consideration, it would be logical for it to use the same definition, so it would be recognised. This should be confirmed in your Employers manual relating to staff health issues.

Have you definitely and formally been advised/told that you are to have this home visit from your boss?? If not, then surely they need to provide you with an official notification, giving you enough notice to make any necessary arrangements that may be needed, or to rearrange it if needed. This is something that has to be done down to the exact letter. If not, then it is another thing that could leave your employer open to action for Breach of the EA.

Wrt to claiming WTC and/or other benefits, the best thing to do is speak to a Benefits Adviser as they will be able to give you advice specific to your situation. Some benefits are only payable if income is below a specified amount, and claiming some benefits can have a knock~on effect for others that may be claimable. It's a minefield of an area, and needs someone who knows the system well to guide you thru it and get what you are entitled to.

Some people have found that taking a variety of supplements and natural remedies/treatments can help improve things for them. To find out more about what others have tried and how they have fared with them, either try using the search box in the top right corner of each page, or have a look thru some of the posts on the Treatments and Medications board. It's something that can help some in varying degrees, whilst for others it may make absolutely no difference, it all comes down to the individual and trying different things to get the ingredients for your personal cocktail just right. With you also being on prescribed meds, seeking advice regarding possible interactions would be needed.

Amitriptyline is often one of the first meds tried when someone is told they have FM. Altho an older~style anti~d, it has been found to help with sleep and pain issues as well. You haven't said how long you've been on them, if it is only a short while, then what you're experiencing may be side effects which tend to ease off after a while. The Amis need about a month to get into your system and start taking effect, so if you've only been on them for a short while, it could be that they need a little longer to start making their presence properly felt.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Gromit » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey, sorry to hear you are having a rough time. As far as I remember if you have M.S you are automatically covered by the Disability Act. Best to check it out though as my brain my be playing tricks on me.

Gentle hugs xxx
Love from Grom :) xxx
Gromit
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits