PIP ... to claim or not to claim

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP ... to claim or not to claim

Postby macca » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:42 am

Hey all, i've got something of a headscratcher and thought i would canvas some opinion.

I've given a background in other posts but to sum up my wife is 43, is diagnosed with FM amongst other problems, and has been seriously ill since around the age of 19 following various medical issues through childhood. She has been in receipt of DLA higher rate mobility from about the age of 20. She was ill health retired at 33, received incapacity benefit from 2003 to 2011. Following a battle with DWP she was placed in the support group for ESA through meeting the mobilising descriptor from 2011 to 2013, and recently that award has been renewed for a period of a further 3 years without a work capability assessment due to her prognosis.

Having researched PIP i believe that my wife should be eligible for a Care component in addition to the mobility component, however we have a dilema. Her current award of DLA is an indefinite award and so she's not scheduled to be assessed for PIP until October 2015 at the earliest.

I'm curious to get other peoples views on this, in this position would you apply for PIP earlier than planned and risk the current award to fight for what you believe you're entitled to?

Cheers, Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Re: PIP ... to claim or not to claim

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Im in that sort of dilemma myself.

Indefinate awards will be scrapped under PIP so any awards on indefinate under DLA will be reviewed and i believe what they are doing is long term awards rather then indefinate for example : 2years / 5years and 10 years.

There is no lower rate care on PIP either only middle and higher being standerd and enhanced. This in itself will take away thousands off people in receipt of lower rate care.

As you said you will be jepodising your wifes higher rate mobility and under the PIP rules they have moved the goal posts to 20metres instead of 50!

You can only make the decision. Its a hard one as i myself are pondering on taking the chance BUT i personaly am awaiting peoples outcomes to see how tough this PIP really is as no one seems to be awarded yet and the system is some what behind.

Good luck :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby macca » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:36 pm

Tough call for sure. I think i've figured out the standard and format of information that DWP require, and i've no problem in fighting for what's right. We also think that theres a good chance of retaining the mobility component as although the distance has been dropped to 20 metres, the claimant has to be able to walk this to a reasonable standard, safely, and as often as is required, and so if those criteria cannot be satisfied then the descriptor must be met. However all that said, like i've said before, it does no good to get complacent over such things.

I'm also very conscious of the possibility of her being put through a degrading medical assessment which would do her no good mentally. In respect of her ESA renewal the information we provided was so substantial that a paper based assessment was sufficient, but we just couldn't rely on that happening with PIP.

I think you make a good call there Lisa on waiting to see how the first PIP applicants get on.

Probably good to let things lie for the moment

Cheers, Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:06 am

The PIP process is in near meltdown at the minute. Forums are littered with threads from people complaining about delays and lack of update information on the porgress of their claims. As your wife's award isn't due for renewal until 2015, would recommend leaving it for a while for the inital problems in the sytem to be ironed out. Even jsut from a stress point of view.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:47 am

Wise words I think Zappa.

Cheers, Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits