[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - New to fm and forum, help about work

New to fm and forum, help about work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New to fm and forum, help about work

Postby Mags1970 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to fibromaligia, I was just diagnosed in aug by the pain clinic that I had been attending for degenerative disc disease and rheumatoid artriitis in my spine. I have suffered with the ddd and artriitis for 7 years and have struggled to work with the help of strong meds but gradually was finding work increasing difficult,i thought my widespread pain was coming from my discs that are damaged througout my spine, didnt realise i could have fibromaligia also but the fog and pain and exhaustion now make sense.I have cut my hours from full time to 20 hours and tbh i was still really struggling. I have been off work from oct this year and I am under pressure from my employer to resign or I will have I'll health dismissal. I have worked for 18 years for this company and have been told by my line manager that I would not be entitled to I'll Heath retirement.

anyway sorry for the ramble I'll get to the point lol, I had hoped to return to work next week but my employer has not got back to me to say if they can accomodate reasonable adjustments as my job is quite physical at parts. my gp advised me to apply for dla but 10 weeks down the line I still don't have a decision. she wanted me to give up work completly but I was having a bit of a better day when I last saw here and managed to convince her that my depression maybe better if I can return to work if the department was suitable. i have a app on mon with gp and then a meeting with my employer the same day, I don't know where to go from here, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am taking nortripilne 50mg for nerve pain, morphine patch, paracetamol and ibuprofen daily, my gp has added in duloxetine for fb but I'm afraid to start it as I'm struggling with all the other meds as in exhaustion no sleep etc, also I read they are not meant to be taken with northripline.

Happy new year to you all x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into smaller ones and a bit of punctuation twiddling for easier reading
Mags1970
UKFM Newbie

Re: New to fm and forum, help about work

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 am

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: New to fm and forum, help about work

Postby migrembe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Mags,

You don't say how close to retirement you are? If like me retirement was some 15-17 years in the future and i knew that i wouldn't be able to work at the last job i had all that time, in the end i allowed them to dismiss me on grounds of ill health. I was a staff nurse and i had only paid in my present pension for about 7 yrs, having claimed the earlier payments back years ago. However the NHS pension is unlikely to pay your pension on ill health reasons unless you are physically unable to function, or so it seems. As for whether you would get it in your case it won't be up to your employer it will be up to the people who will be paying your pension.

If you are still being paid sick pay, i would stay off sick if you are not well your employers will have to keep paying whether they like it or not. I know in the NHS they can't sack you from your job whilst you are off sick unless the occupational health say so and that took me a year to get through and i wasn't even challenging their decision.

In the end because i hadn't paid into the pension for very long i claimed the pension early. It gives me more money but not so much that it messes with my benefit money too much. I don't have a Dear Anyone to support me so what i get i get and that's it, but every little helps. If you planning on going down this route talk to the pension people and not your employer they will tell you how much you will get if you claimed your pension now/early.

Hope that's useful.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits