ESA interview

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA interview

Postby Jeany » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

I am so upset, because due to my ME/CFS, fibro and Agoraphobia I am unable to attend my interview at the jobcentre, and my personal advisor is threatening to stop my ESA.
How do they expect someone who has severe Agoraphobia and other health issues to attend ?
I lost my appeal to be moved into the support group, so I just do not know what to do now, and it is making me even more ill.
I recently had to go to hospital for test for a stomach ulcer and had to be sedated with Diazapam, but I was still extremely distressed, and can not go back for further investigations which are needed. It is so upsetting, because everyone but the jobcentre know and understand I am unable to go out, and I even have my Atos medical at home.
Surely this is not right that they can do this and treat ill people so badly. It makes me so cross, because I have worked and now that I need benefits I am treated like a scrounger.
So upset.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Re: ESA interview

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Just popped you over to the DWP board :-)

I am in the WRAG group ESA and my JC advisor calls me and gives me my interview over the phone.

Not all JC are accomodating tho :-?

This came about also because i forced myself there and nearly collapsed on his desk asleep :sleep: and was so foggy headed :crazy: i struggled to answer his questions and got in a tizz. I said this was because i was exhausted and i intense pain and needed my bed!

He now gives me phone consaltations.

I suffer anxiety also and being out in a stressfull situation made me ill and he could see that.

Im now appealing to be put into support group as they know how unfit i am for work and keep pressurising me to appeal. I have put in my appeal now but not heard anything just yet.

I hope they can arrange a phone interview with you :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby maxinevalentina » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm about go apply for esa iv seen the application it looks complicated but iv got am advisor that's done loads of them before so I'm not so scared it's very stressful for me . I suffer from panic attacks and going to the jc is guaranteed to set me of .
One thing that's stressing me out is that I might not get esa then I don't no what to do
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for moving it across Lisa I have no idea how to use this site. I am waiting for a call back from Jobcentre, but it is scaring me as I don't want them to stop my benefits, but at the moment I am totally incapable of attending the interview.
I will keep you posted.
Thank you x
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

maxinevalentina wrote:I'm about go apply for esa iv seen the application it looks complicated but iv got am advisor that's done loads of them before so I'm not so scared it's very stressful for me . I suffer from panic attacks and going to the jc is guaranteed to set me of .
One thing that's stressing me out is that I might not get esa then I don't no what to do

First things first having anxiety i completely understand what your saying.

Now you have to try and take each hurdle as it comes which is hard i now as we always worry what maybe...

Its good to hear you have someone whom will help you with the forms.

As your applying for ESA then you will be called for a medical, this you will need to attend BUT you can get your GP to write a letter to ATOS to get the medical done at home.

Now if you get placed in the support group you wont need any JC appointments. If you get placed in the WRAG you will need to see a JC advisor BUT again as said above ask about a phone interview and explain why you cannot get out to them.

It can be up to 14 weeks before you will know if your excepted for ESA so a long wait ahead. What i can say tho is if you have a good advosor helping you with the forums then you will have more success in getting ESA :-)

:goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Jeany wrote:Thanks for moving it across Lisa I have no idea how to use this site. I am waiting for a call back from Jobcentre, but it is scaring me as I don't want them to stop my benefits, but at the moment I am totally incapable of attending the interview.
I will keep you posted.
Thank you x

Thats ok thats what us mods are for :mrgreen:

Any chance your GP can write you a note to send to JC in back up of you not being able to leave the home to attend an appointment because of the agrophobia?

:goodluck2:
*Lisa*

Postby bandj » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

The more evidence you can get from your gp and consultant the better. I know it is hard, but don't let them bully you. If your gp writes a letter saying you cannot leave your house due to agoraphobia, the job centre, etc have to take it into account and they have no right to try and make you do something which is impossible for you. Have you been in touch with the disability adviser at the job centre? He/she may be able to help.

take care. I hope you get things sorted soon.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:27 am

Unfortunately as your appeal for Support Group was unsuccessful being in the WRAG group does bring the problem of having to attend a certain amount of meetings. As Lisa said it can very much depend on the discretion of your advisor as to on how often these meetings are, and whether they can be done over the phone as an option.

Often a single meeting will be enough for an advisor to decide to do any other updates by phone calls, but it can sometimes take a face to face meeting to achieve this. From an advisor's point of view , no one really wants to attend these meetings and people give numerous reasons why they can't every day. She can't tell those with genuine reasons without seeing you in person. So they are told to insist on at least one meeting as a minimum as a guideline. Could you somehow manage to attend just one? A doctors note advising your ill may help or perhaps you could ask to see another advisor, who may be a bit more understanding.

If you don't attend and the advisor decides to raise a sanction doubt, it's passed to a DWP decision maker who then decides whether it's appropriate or not. If he approves the sanction, you'll have the chance to ask for a reconsideration giving your reasons why you couldn't attned and alo appeal. But as things stand , once sanctioned , until such time as you you start attending WFI's the sanction won't be lifted or even the length of it decided. Which means a significant reduction in your normal ESA payments until it's lifted. It would be much better if you can avoid getting into this porcess as it's pretty stressful.

At the minute from information I've read , you should only be sanctioned for not attending an appointment you've received advance written notification of. Doesn't prevent it happening with all the problems etc, but will help overturn it at appeal stage if it does.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby wenglew » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:51 am

Hi, I was put onto ESA directly without an interview or anything.

I have recently applied for PIP and I know I will have to go to job centre for the interview.

I have a shopping list of things wrong with me which culminates in me taking 23 tablets a day.

I would love for the job centre whoever awards ESA and PIP to get together and talk.

I don't know what will happen but having a good support network with my hubby and his parents, without the I don't know what I would have done.

Keep seeing the good in everything otherwise it will eat you alive. Positivity brings rewards and everyone knows that getting praise for something does make you feel better.

What people don't realise you are a human being and you have Fibromyalgia!

I love telling people I have fibro just to see the look in their eyes. The easiest way for me to explain why I can't get out of bed for 3 days in a row is exhausting to the point where I can only manage to go to the loo and get back in bed. This does NOT make me LAZY!!! It means I HAVE A DISORDER WITH SYMPTOMS THAT CAN CHANGE WITH EVERY BREATH. One doctor pressed on my back very lighty and I practically jumped off the table. It is not a mental disorder it is a fully functioning physical disorder!!
wenglew
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits