Can I change benefits from ESA to DLA?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can I change benefits from ESA to DLA?

Postby ceecee1904 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 pm

Today I had to go to the work programme and do 2 hours of job searches, my job coach is useless, doesn't believe me when I talk about me having fibromyalgia and because the jobcentre still have me down as on JSA on ESA I cannot get the support I actually need.
My brother suggested going to citizens advice to see if I'm eligible before actually applying for DLA or which ever benefit but I thought I'd ask on here first. Is there a way of me NOT going to the work programme and just doing things mostly from home?
It's a struggle getting there most of the time as 80% of the time I cannot drive. How likely is it that I'd even get accepted for DLA and how would I go about it? I've told my advisor about this but she doesn't care!
ceecee1904
UKFM Newbie

Re: Can I change benefits from ESA to DLA?

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:59 pm

DLA (Disability Living Alowence) has now changed over to the PIP (Personal Indipendance Payement) to fit the criterea for PIP you need to have/need care frequantly throughout the day.

This can be tasks like needing help being washed/dressed etc...

For the Mobility PIP again you will need to have/need help walking/getting around OR if you suffer extreme discomfort and pain and exhaustion on walking any distance.

The distances for higher rate is between 20/50yards and for the lower rate its between 50/200 yards.

ESA is Employement support allowence which is completely different to the PIP.

ESA goes on your limitations and capabilities to work.

There 2 groups to the ESA one is the support group and the other the WRAG working related activity.

For the support group you will have needed to score 15 points or more but 15points in relation to a support group question

WRAG group again you need 15 points or more.

In the support group you do not need to see a JC advisor

In the WRAG you get called up frequantly to see about work within your limitation and capabilities.

To get on ESA from JSA you will need to see your GP and get signed off sick, then hand sick note to Job centre who will then hand you over the ESA forms to fill in. You will be on an assessment phase which is just 50.00 (ish) a week up to 14 weeks.

In this 14 weeks you will have a medical/your form assessed to see whether or not you qualify for the ESA benefit. If not you stay on JSA.

If you get on the ESA again they will determain what group your in by the points scored. You will get moenys back dated once you know the out come

so in relation to your questions :

Is there a way of me NOT going to the work programme and just doing things mostly from home?

If your on JSA im afraid the answer is no as on JSA your "fit to work" although the work programmes on ESA may be different.

How likely is it that I'd even get accepted for DLA and how would I go about it? I've told my advisor about this but she doesn't care!

You call up the benefits line in relation to PIP claims and they will go through a few questions with you then send out a form to fill. This will be assessed and you may be called for a medical. The will write to you with a decision.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm

try to get on to ESA support group, that is what i get but i do have other probs as well as Fibro.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Kyomii » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

There is no need to change. You can claim PIP in addition to ESA. PIP Is not counted against any income, it is in addition to. However, receiving PIP does not mean you won't have to go to the Job Centre, as it sounds like you are in the ESA WRAG group. To not go to the Jobcentre, you need to be placed in the ESA support group, but this can be difficult to be placed in.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm

ceecee1904 wrote:Today I had to go to the work programme and do 2 hours of job searches, my job coach is useless, doesn't believe me when I talk about me having fibromyalgia and because the jobcentre still have me down as on JSA

Are you on JSA?

If your on ESA WRAG then to get into the support group you need to appeal. Call the benefits line for advice and how to go about it.

I recently appealed but it was way after my cut off date so i put in a change of circumstances that way i could appeal passed the date. I am still awaiting an outcome.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby ceecee1904 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Thank you everyone.

I am on ESA in the WRAG, but they don't recognise it on my work programme (Avanta) because although I've told the job centre that they STILL after 4 months haven't changed my info from JSA to ESA my advisor just ignores that and keeps making me apply for and interview for jobs I'd never be able to do, which makes my hope of finding a job less and less likely and makes me feel more and more useless!

I'll definitely call about PIP today; see if I'm eligible. I don't need excessive help but I cannot walk unaided more than a couple of metres without almost falling over so I'm stuck using my walking stick most of the time, sometimes I can get along if I'm able to link arms with someone so that I don't always have to use it. I barely walk anywhere and leave the house once maybe twice a week if I've not had too bad of a day! My legs give out if I push myself when walking, with my stick I can walk maybe 4 metres before I get extremely achey and then the pain starts and eventually I'll fall down.
I've had to ask my other half to help in and out of the shower (over bath shower) and I haven't dared to try and have a bath rather than a shower for maybe 6 months as I've gotten stuck in there unable to get out a few times! Both embarrassing and frustrating having to ask for help doing something I should be able to do myself!
ceecee1904
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Another note, which helped me greatly is that you DONT have to go to the provider of Work Related Activity, request that your job centre is you point of contact for WRA, you then will see them once a month, or have to be available to take a phone call.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby silvermaneuk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Take yiur ESA award notice into the group, they can't ignore that. I found them useless tbh. 18 months after I came off ESA I was still getting calls demanding I go to interviews lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
silvermaneuk
UKFM Member

Postby anonymouse » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Just to confirm for you as many people have:

DLA (Disability Living Allowance) is now PIP (Personal Independence Payment) and is to cover the extra costs of disability.

IB (Incapacity Benefit) is now ESA (Employment & Support Allowance) and is for those who are not capable of work, as an income (a little like Jobseeker's Allowance is income for those looking for work)

So you can claim both at the same time if eligible. Different criteria applies to each.
Fibro, Chronic Pain, Insomnia, Psoriasis, Migraines, Light & Hyper Sensitivity & Joint Subluxation but apart from that I am perfectly healthy & battling for ESA & DLA. - Twitter: my_fibromyalgia - Facebook: myfibromyalgia
anonymouse
UKFM Member

Postby Purplepig » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:43 pm

If you put in a sick-line from GP you are not fit for work and do not have to go to JC to sign on as you are not actively seeking employment , you would be on sickness benefit. :-)
Purplepig
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm

So i see the problem here is the advisor/JC

On ESA WRAG many are called up to do a work programme. Now what the JC should be doing is finding you emplyement to fit in with limitations/capabilities.

Obviously here they are not!

You must make sure the JC change your info and as said above pop in with your award notice and see if they can change details.
*Lisa*

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits