i am applying for esa

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

i am applying for esa

Postby maxinevalentina » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 pm

I have just called to put in a claim for esa and given all the right information
I'm now waiting for letters iv been signed off work by my doctor.
Someone I used to work with Said there's no point in applying because I won't get it .
Have people been able to get esa because I'm now worried , I have nothing I need help
Its stressing me out
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Re: i am applying for esa

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:43 pm

It is possible to successfully claim ESA, there are a good number of us on here who have gone thru the system.

We usually suggest that, to give you the best possible chance, you contact organisations such as Citizens Advice as they have advisers who can help with completing the forms. Looking online may give you an idea of who is in your area that could help, or somewhere like your local council may have info about who could possibly help.

If getting help from somewhere like CAB isn't possible (quite a lot of organisations have had funding reduced so are unable to provide the levels of help they could previously) there is also a lot of useful info to be found online to help with completing the form.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

If your council has a benefits advice department get them to help fill in the esa form, if not contact Michelle at Fightback on facebook to get help filling form in they do have handy notes for this on their page. I had help with my form and got ESA support group.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:45 pm

Got ESA no problem, been awaiting 7 months for my interview also. Doc signs me off 2 months at a time now also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:49 pm

I cant see why you couldn't claim for esa, if your doctor has signed you unfit for work then you will more likely be entitled, maybe your friend ment ELA or the new PIP is that could be a lot harder to claim for.

Are you still employed but off due to your illness or not working at all?..good luck
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby maxinevalentina » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:53 pm

I have someone that's done loads of of esa forms so I'm not to worried about the form filling
But more worried about not being accepted because iv only just been diagnosed after 3 years of tests scans xrays everything
And then my friend says I won't get it makes me even more stressed.
It's not been a Gd time for me iv been put on meds that make me feel drunk sleepy
I just want a bit of good news for once
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby ceecee1904 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, I was signed off work and put on to ESA no problems, then when on JSA I got signed off that and although it took a few weeks there wasn't a problem as long as you have docs note and have put as much detail as possible on forms x
ceecee1904
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Try not to focus on what your friend has said, there are claims which go straight thru, it's just that we don't hear about many of these stories, we mostly hear the ones where a claim has been disallowed, or has been accepted by the claimant has been placed in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) when they feel they should be in the Support Group. For each of these stories, there will be a number of the ones where the claim has gone straight thru.

Have you been put on these new meds very recently?? If so, what you are experiencing could well be side effects, which tend to start to easing off after a week or so. Any questions you have about these meds, if you make a post on the Meds and Treatment board, there may be some who can help you with things.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby maxinevalentina » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 pm

I studied to be a hairdresser I'm very practical person my hands are so painful I can't work there's no way I can work I'm in so much pain I cry most days and the meds I'm on don't seem to work .
U all have put my mind at rest a little
Thank you for all the advice =)
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby geordiegirl147 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm

hi i am claiming ESA did not know what it was or how to do it i rang the job centre phone line, listen for the number to press for ESA and they did it over the phone taken about 20 mins they will then send forms out with the information you told then ask you to sign and fill in anything missing that you could not answer at this time they will send a self addressed envelope for you to send in your sick note you don't get paid for the first 3 days and it is £72 pounds a week for over 25 years old Then ATOS will send you a form to fill in, but always remember
always think or do your worst days when filling in the form because you do have to get 15 points and over and the other best thing to do which from reading other people on this site which is the most helpful site and very understanding IS to write on separate paper what it is like for you know what you can not do how hard and painful. As the forms are as i see very fibro friendly as sometimes you can and other times you can't they are not interested as their computer only asks for yes or no answers.
I wish you look as i am waiting for ATOS interview don't worry about ESA phone by the way i always put a first class stamp on the envelope
as they have it stamped for 2nd class take 5 days to get it
Everything you write and get all the forms make sure you photo copy as they '' sometimes disappear ''
ALL THE BEST
geordiegirl147
UKFM Member

Postby maxinevalentina » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm

That's really helpful thank you
as u said it's £72 a week for 25+ dose it make a difference that I'm only 21
Really appreciate everything thank you
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 pm

geordiegirl147 wrote:always think or do your worst days when filling in the form because you do have to get 15 points and over

15 points are required to qualify for ESA, which will place you in the Work Related Activity Group, where you will be expected to attend meetings etc relating to taking steps to get back into work with appropriate help/support.

To qualify for the Support Group, there is less of an emphasis on the points. Instead, the decision maker must accept that that any of the qualifying descriptors are applicable to the claimant. This linky has info about the Support Group Descriptors.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits