Work Related Group ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work Related Group ESA

Postby PolkaBunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:19 pm

So, I've been claiming ESA since January 2012. I was denied in August 2012 after failing the medical (i know, shocking isnt it :roll: :-o haha). I appealed, and had my appeal in December 2013, where it was allowed on special circumstances, they agreed that while I didnt fit the tick boxes, because I could do task a, b c for example - i wouldnt be able to do them repetitively and I wouldnt get better from my condition I would just get worse.

I then started claiming PIP in December, I couldnt face it until then, everything else was stresful. This was allowed straight away, standard care and high mobility (14 points).

Now, Ive been put into the work related group for ESA, I dont have a problem with that in theory, as I am 26 and of course would like to get back to work in the future, and I would like to take steps to do that although I feel its too difficult at the moment I am of course prepared to go into it with an open mind, it doesnt hurt to try. (well..it does us doesnt it! :lol: )

My issue is that the place I have to go is 2 buses and a train journey away, or one train and two 30 minute walks. Completely unpractical and unrealistic, If someone made me do this, yeah I probably could with lots of breaks.without being over dramatic it would be a mission. I'd be in agony though, and each step would be so painful. Then I would be stressed out, and struggle during the 2 hour "thing" you have to go to, and then I wouldnt be able to get home as once id sat down I couldnt walk that distance again, and then id spend two days in bed. I'd probably start crying when I got there, through being in so much pain. you guys all know the situation all too well for yourselves.You have to learn not to push yourself, and I am trying to do just that.

So, I expressed my concern to the job centre yesterday and they said that i had to take that up with the work group. The work group phone me today, and tell me the location, I explain the problem and said i am MORE than happy to attend in theory, but i need help with transport. She said I would have to ask my Mum, and I felt this was very unacceptable because my poor mum has lost SO much holiday from Hospital appointments, medicals, appeals, she has hardly any holiday left and I dont see why she should have to lose more.

So, I said that I was getting PIP and had HIGH mobility. Therefore, it was surely unrealistic for the job centre to expect me to do that travel to the work related group because its in black and white that I cant. She said that if I dont attend, I could lose benefit.

Im not stressing over it, as In reality I cant see how they would stop it when I have PIP that says I am high mobility. But, i dont want the stress of it. I am going to make some calls tomorrow to see about transport and what can be done, but i just wondered if any of you in the work related group have had similar troubles?

So, I told her about the PIP. I said that I
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Re: Work Related Group ESA

Postby Boobag » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi, I have Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue post cancer treatment - had cancer three times! I have just received the ESA form, I am in a dreadful muddle, not sure how to fill in, like you say, for some of them I can do it, but not reliably and repeatedly! I also want to apply for PIP as I have terrible stiff and sore muscles coupled with plantar fasciitis in both feet/ankle affected with bony spurs too boot! I am in a fragile state, ready to give up. Please can you offer some help as to how to fill in this dreaded form :-(
Boobag
UKFM Newbie

Postby Boobag » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Can you request a re-consideration to put you in the other group? I am sure they can do that, if you get your doctor to help maybe?
Boobag
UKFM Newbie

Postby PolkaBunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Boobag wrote:Hi, I have Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue post cancer treatment - had cancer three times! I have just received the ESA form, I am in a dreadful muddle, not sure how to fill in, like you say, for some of them I can do it, but not reliably and repeatedly! I also want to apply for PIP as I have terrible stiff and sore muscles coupled with plantar fasciitis in both feet/ankle affected with bony spurs too boot! I am in a fragile state, ready to give up. Please can you offer some help as to how to fill in this dreaded form :-(

My Mum works in supported housing, and I honestly believe it was her knowledge of the system that helped me, because its not just about what you struggle with, its how you say it. It shouldnt be that way but it is. You have to do it as your worst days, and if you write something, instead of using words like "sometimes" if its often, use the word "frequently". And think about all the changes you have made to your life because of your illness. I said to my mum "well i dont need help cooking" and she was like "of course you do, you use plastic cutlery and some days you cant do anything so i have to cook for you" . Sometimes we get so used to our condition we have to look at it with fresh new eyes, and look at yourself as if you were looking from the outside.
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Postby PolkaBunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Boobag wrote:Can you request a re-consideration to put you in the other group? I am sure they can do that, if you get your doctor to help maybe?

I probably could, I just feel a little disappointed as I actually thought it would be a positive thing - but i was told on the phone they expect me to return to work within three months, and i know that wont be happening! Frustrating as it means ANOTHER appeal which is why i was happy to go if i could have transport. will see what Mum says later, shes had to deal with this at work a lot too.
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Boobag can i suggest you ring the local council and see if they have a benefits advice department , if so get them to help with the form, failing that get in touch with fightback https://www.facebook.com/FightBack4Justice?fref=ts

They should be able to help
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Boobag wrote:Hi, I have Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue post cancer treatment - had cancer three times! I have just received the ESA form, I am in a dreadful muddle, not sure how to fill in, like you say, for some of them I can do it, but not reliably and repeatedly! I also want to apply for PIP as I have terrible stiff and sore muscles coupled with plantar fasciitis in both feet/ankle affected with bony spurs too boot! I am in a fragile state, ready to give up. Please can you offer some help as to how to fill in this dreaded form :-(

Citizens Advice and other similar support organisations can provide help and advice for completing thee form. There is also lots of advice on the boards, and online covering all sorts of conditions, problems etc. Benefits & Work are an excellent source for advice.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:33 pm

My jobcentre is in another town and i forced myself there first time knowing my money would be sanctioned if i didnt attend.

Once there i had so many staff asking if i was ok as i was very bad with pain and fatigue and they could see how bad i was. This actually lead the advisor to not call me back in but to do phone interviews as he saw for himself and others just how bad i am.

You could also request for a phone interview?
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby macca » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Here's a question, if you've been given PIP high rate mobility then did you satisfy the criteria of not being able to mobilise 20 metres safely, reliably and as often as you need to? If so then by default you meet the Mobilising descriptor for the support group of ESA i.e. You can't mobilise 50 metres safely, reliably and as often as you need to.

Write to DWP and request a 'supercession' of the current decision, ask that you be placed into the support group for ESA due to meeting the ESA mobilising descriptor, and enclose a copy of the written notification of your entitlement to PIP high rate mobility.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby gems87 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

totally understand where you are coming from. When i got a call to go to the local social security office for work focused interview i explained all my health issues, one major 1 being anxiety and dont like going into crowded places etc. The very same was said to me, if i didnt go 'it would affect benefit' etc and they wouldnt keep me long. Was so hard for me to get myself to go in there, but the girl i spoke to on the phone was the one i seen, she didnt keep me any longer than she had too, although it did feel like forver, esp when i was panicky, anxious, hot etc just wanted out of their and see the door. The girl i seen was very nice and understood everything i was saying. Its terrible your mum having to take time off work but if it helps you to get their more comfortably what can you do. Im 26 aswell and just feel rotten today, ibs playing up big time and just feel so down. I got my esa form back out again as had been getting it for one year, i filled the form out myself the best i could so just waiting to hear back. I know exactly how you are feeling

xx
gems87
UKFM Member

Postby PolkaBunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 pm

macca wrote:Here's a question, if you've been given PIP high rate mobility then did you satisfy the criteria of not being able to mobilise 20 metres safely, reliably and as often as you need to? If so then by default you meet the Mobilising descriptor for the support group of ESA i.e. You can't mobilise 50 metres safely, reliably and as often as you need to.

Write to DWP and request a 'supercession' of the current decision, ask that you be placed into the support group for ESA due to meeting the ESA mobilising descriptor, and enclose a copy of the written notification of your entitlement to PIP high rate mobility.

Mac

Ahh, see I put in my claim for PIP in October, but I didnt get a reply until 30th December, and my appeal for ESA was the 21st of December, so I had my appeal decision BEFORE the PIP one, but what youre saying does make complete sense, if they had been the other way around its a different result so to speak.

Thank you for this information!
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Postby PolkaBunny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 pm

gems87 wrote:totally understand where you are coming from. When i got a call to go to the local social security office for work focused interview i explained all my health issues, one major 1 being anxiety and dont like going into crowded places etc. The very same was said to me, if i didnt go 'it would affect benefit' etc and they wouldnt keep me long. Was so hard for me to get myself to go in there, but the girl i spoke to on the phone was the one i seen, she didnt keep me any longer than she had too, although it did feel like forver, esp when i was panicky, anxious, hot etc just wanted out of their and see the door. The girl i seen was very nice and understood everything i was saying. Its terrible your mum having to take time off work but if it helps you to get their more comfortably what can you do. Im 26 aswell and just feel rotten today, ibs playing up big time and just feel so down. I got my esa form back out again as had been getting it for one year, i filled the form out myself the best i could so just waiting to hear back. I know exactly how you are feeling

xx

Thanks Gem, its not often I see people who are the same age - I often fee like im one of the youngest I know with the condition! If worst comes to worst Im sure my mum WILL take me, but she is going to help me try and get round that as it isnt good her constantly having to help me, it isnt good for my independence either, I feel so babied these days, Ive been to uni lived on my own, and now im back home feeling like a child again and it isnt healthy, i dont want her to be my carer I want her to be my mum, and her constantly having to take me to places like this isnt good for our relationship.
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:33 am

The important thing is that you request a supercession i.e. you are requesting that they make a new decision that supercedes the current decision based on new information. Do NOT request a reconsideration because all they would do is look again at the information that they had when they made the initial decision to see if that decision was right i.e. they would not consider new information, i.e. their own award of PIP high rate mobility. That is VERY important.

Good luck

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby PolkaBunny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 pm

macca wrote:The important thing is that you request a supercession i.e. you are requesting that they make a new decision that supercedes the current decision based on new information. Do NOT request a reconsideration because all they would do is look again at the information that they had when they made the initial decision to see if that decision was right i.e. they would not consider new information, i.e. their own award of PIP high rate mobility. That is VERY important.

Good luck

Mac

Thank you, I will do that. If I do this in writing, should I post it or take it to my job centre? My appointment is for Friday 14th so im worried they wont get my letter in time as decisions like this take a long time usually?
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Personally I would post it to DWP recorded signed for mail, keep a copy for yourself and it wouldn't do any harm to take a copy to the job centre appointment along with a copy of your PIP high rate mobility award and clearly tell them that you've written to DWP to request this.

Another tip, I had the support of our local MP when fighting for my wife and he was happy for me to openly c.c. him in to alk correspondence to DWP. MP's can't circumvent the law but they can call upon DWP to justify their decisions. Let's face it i'd love to see them deny you ESA Support Group suggesting you dont meet the mobilising descriptor after awarding you high rate mobility PIP through meeting the mobilising descriptor. Your MP would have a field day with that one.

One point though, Conservative or Lib Dem MP's may not be as helpful as Labour MP's. Worth a go though.

All being well common sense will prevail. It will do you well to research the PIP and ESA mobilising descriptors and their criteria well, making it clear to DWP that you are well versed in the details.

I personally think that when you have medical evidence, know the system well, and aren't afraid to get MP back up then it sends a message to DWP that you will fight for whats right.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits