re worried i am about to lose my job

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

re worried i am about to lose my job

Postby scouse1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi i am not sure wether this is the right page to be asking this question but I have been called into a sickness review meeting at work I was diagnosed with FM 8 months ago and have been off sick for the last 3 weeks with my back being in spasm my job consist of standing for 11 hrs a day my work has said I can sit down when needed but that is impossible to do as I work on security when my FM is manageble i am able to do my job but this is the first big attack in a while they are saying that i am affecting the business what can I do as we need two incomes at home I am now so stressed i feel sick
any advice would be welcomed
scouse1
UKFM Newbie

Re: re worried i am about to lose my job

Postby Jenkins12 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 pm

This happened to me , I lost my job and we went down to one income so I applied for ESA and before I actually lost the job I called Christians against poverty to help sort out the finance .., you don't have to be a Christian and its a free service .. One year on we are debt free and living on my husband fairly low salery , . Don't panic just plan . Get help with financial stuff now before it happens x
Cab help to but cAp come to your home .xx good luck
Jenkins12
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jenkins12 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Ps also get Union help re job as most employers will have to re deploy you first into a job you can do before they sack you .. Xxx
Jenkins12
UKFM Newbie

Postby Maryanne » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello scouse 1, Like yourself, I am relatively new to this. I was diagnosed last March. I had a massive flare-up in the summer and was off work for 11 weeks and really thought my job would be gone or going. I returned to work but, on reduced hours (from 16hrs down to 8hrs a week ) on my doctors advice. My employer is not really happy with it and I still feel like I am on a knife edge, as I am deteriorating due to having OA also. I am sorry that I can't really help with advice but, this is just to let you know that you are not alone with your worry about your job.
Maryanne
UKFM Member

Postby Hellyn » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54 pm

I lost my job back in 2003, due to hepc treatment (3rd bash) ended up with fibro, haven't worked since. All I can say as a veteran non worker that I just embraced that fact I was never going to be productive on that level, that is fitting into the 'norm' of what working meant. I have a great GP, good pain management support unit and now on Support ESA for 3 years. Not been easy but changing the mind set helps as accepting this disability is part of what is healthy for you.

Instead of flogging yourself to fit into what is expected of you, you just be you and work with what you can do. This forcing people to be moulded into...You Must Work!!!! makes the condition worse with stress and you will end up feeling bad about yourself and you shouldn't because you have a hidden disability many just don't understand the spectrum of.

I'm a retired nurse and believe me you would be far better being selfish and looking after you and not trying to make yourself be someone you can't be anymore. Fibro is unpredictable and employers hate that, but tough.

I enjoy my life and do exactly what I want, when I want and answer to no one anymore and it has freed me from the expectation of others and the stupid guilt trips of trying to measure up to someone else's agenda of fitting into the way society is constructed to make us all work work work till we drop...

There is more to life than a job, you just need to think laterally and readjust your life and be open to making it be comfortable for you and sod the lot who are judgemental of the condition. If you can't work you can't work end of....move on and look at options that suit you and make your quality of life your way.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:32 pm

hiya guys copy and paste this page into your browser

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inform ... on-act.htm

hope it helps

robbie
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby EvMuir » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:23 am

I have had fibro for 12 years but I have also got osteoarthritis in about 90% of my joints. I was off work for 16 months because a disc in my lower back crumbled and I had to wait for an operation. Like you I worried about losing my job. I did get full pay for 6 and then half pay for 6 months along with ESA which I got because of the national insurance contributions I had paid. I eventually got my op and had spinal fusion and disc stabilisation. I eventually got back to work and they have been very supportive but after all I had been through it made me realise that if I had to give up work we could cut cloth and survive. Go to your local CAB and find out what benefits you are entitled to and claim them.
EvMuir
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits