Fibro - working/claiming

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro - working/claiming

Postby paulfoel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Wife has just been diagnosed. On maternity at the moment, but realistically theres no way she can go back to her job as a nurse unless things improve. At the moment, she struggles with stairs and although she can walk she gets tired.

Whats the best approach? Assume go sick off work until the pay runs out. What happens then? If ultimately she has to give up, what then?
I've hard about PIP but how bad do you have to be?

Also, is any of this means tested? I earn a fair bit so it would be a problem.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro - working/claiming

Postby LibbyWick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Oh dear.

Does your wife have a work pension? My employers agreed that I couldn't continue to work and after 12 months on sick leave gave me a disability pension. Without it I just don't know what I'd have done. I get ESA which can be either earnings or contributions related, dependent on other income and/or NI contributions. I don't think PIP is means tested, I submitted my application months ago but have heard nothing. I should chase them up. Very pleased that you are there for your wife. FM is tough on families but coping on one's on is perhaps even tougher. It isn't much, a 3rd of what I was earning, but I am very fortunate to have my pension.

You may find this useful: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

All the best.

Regards

Libby
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:26 pm

LibbyWick wrote:Oh dear.

Does your wife have a work pension? My employers agreed that I couldn't continue to work and after 12 months on sick leave gave me a disability pension. Without it I just don't know what I'd have done. I get ESA which can be either earnings or contributions related, dependent on other income and/or NI contributions. I don't think PIP is means tested, I submitted my application months ago but have heard nothing. I should chase them up. Very pleased that you are there for your wife. FM is tough on families but coping on one's on is perhaps even tougher. It isn't much, a 3rd of what I was earning, but I am very fortunate to have my pension.

You may find this useful: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

All the best.

Regards

Libby

She works for NHS (is a nurse) so has that pension. Didnt know you could take it early like this - shes only 42.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby KerryR-R » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm also 42, have a fairly recent diagnosis of fibro and am an nhs nurse. I've just gone back to work after 7 months off sick and am struggling to cope.
You can apply for ill-health retirement. It's not guaranteed that you'll get it though. Relies on reports from occy health with supporting evidence from GP/consultant etc. Not sure how much the pension would pay out taken so early, depends on length of service and age of retirement. There are also 2 levels. Lower level payable if you are unable to do your job currently but may be able to work again in some form. Higher level if demonstrated that you'll never work again.
Your wife needs to see occy health at work to get ball rolling.
Good luck x
Kerry
KerryR-R
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:50 pm

I worked for the NHS as a nurse and although they terminated my employment due to ill health i wasn't able to get my pension and they said it was because of the unknown with Fibro and i could get better and go back to my old job. Although i had had ongoing joint and muscle pains and depression my Fibro was diagnosed after a fall downstairs which i still haven't recovered from.

As for PIP which was DLA she will have to prove that she cannot look after her own personal needs let alone that of a baby. Same with ESA. She may have to fight for both but we have all been there in one way all another and will be cheering her on to keep going until she wins. I am so glad my children were grown before i was diagnosed although i believe i have had it all my life.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi there - possibly can she extend her maternity leave until is managing her Fibro better, then return under phased return? But defo speak with employer. DLS/PIP is not means tested you can work & received it but best to get assistance in applying either citazens advive or if in Fife - Fife Law centre, they can also help with the work sittuation as well & is free
Libby28
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 am

UPDATE.

Wife never did go back to work and has been on the sick for almost 6 months now. Its looking increasingly likely that she wont be able to go back ever.

Unfortunately, her employer has been awful (see other post).

I understand pension is an option but shes only been employed by the NHS for 12 years. Also, someone else in this thread said it was refused.
So what are the options? Good news is half-pay for 6 more months but then things are uncertain.

To get ESA dont you have to be disabled and not able to look after yourself? Shes probably not that bad. No way could she do the job she does now (Nurse) unless it was low-level (like clinic or something) but she does struggle to manage to look after herself/baby.
Im guessing she wouldnt get JSA either because she wouldnt be able to take another job due to health?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits