ESA not for me now what?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA not for me now what?

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. For years I was a single parent 10 in total so not being able to afford child care and being in and out of work through illness before being diagnosed with fibro and a double break in my back I applied for ESA when my SSP and job came to an end, I have been told I'm not entitled to contribution based ESA as I haven't paid enough stamps and I'm not entitled to the other ESA as my partner is earning too much, he only works 24 hours a week as he's also my main career, so now where do I go, I've no income other than pip.

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Re: ESA not for me now what?

Postby Kyomii » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:43 pm

Income based ESA is calculated off your household income, as all income based benefits are, not how many hours worked. As you are not entitled to contribution based, you can't claim for "you" only - as all income based benefits are calculated from the total household income, which, if above average, may stop entitlement.

If your husband is earning more than what income based ESA would pay then obviously it can't be claimed. Do you claim child tax credits? If not, look into that, but again if his wage is higher than average you may only be entitled to a basic amount. Have you also looked into working tax credits? Again, if he is earning above average it may not be paid fully or at all.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby littlemac0191 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

I think you are lucky to be getting pips I get nothing t all and my husband only has his medical pension of £11k per year, no other income !!!!
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm

littlemac0191 wrote:I think you are lucky to be getting pips I get nothing t all and my husband only has his medical pension of £11k per year, no other income !!!!

Have you spoken to a benefits adviser about your eligibilty??? They tend to know the system well and may be able with claiming any that you meet the criteria for.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Kyomii if love it if my partner was on a good wage, he is on minimum wage, his wages are very low, littlemac0191 is love to have £11k a year, my partner is on £8500 a year, I get pip because I am disabled, ontop of my fibro I have 2 broken vertebrae in my back which they can't fix, year on year my back will only get worse.
If your partner is on £11k you should be entitled to help like working tax and housing, we get a portion of our rent paid but not all, but the wage my partner is on doesn't cover the bills and food.
Kinda feel I've been attacked here for wanting to do more than struggle to survive when my combined illnesses mean I am only going to get increasingly worse

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Fluppypuffy, I've spoke to someone at the job centre but think I need to go to CAB as all they say at the job centre is I can't get ESA

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm

CAB or another similar support organisation should be able to go thru things and tell you if there are other benefits/payments you may be eligible to claim. If your OH can go with you, they should be able to look at what you both might be able to claim, either separately and/or jointly as well as well.

Reading back thru this, it doesn't really sound like anyone was trying to attack you or anyone else Helen. I did spot a couple of things which could be read in a number of ways and tones, and could possibly have been worded slightly differently to convey the same info.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting to try and improve how things are for you and your family, changes for the better often ripple out and have a positive effect on other areas, all of which can help with how we feel, both physically and emotionally/mentally. Having a little extra breathing room in life is good for everyone, be they in good or not so good health
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 am

helen.whittaker.125 wrote:Kyomii .
If your partner is on £11k you should be entitled to help like working tax and housing, we get a portion of our rent paid but not all, but the wage my partner is on doesn't cover the bills and food.
Kinda feel I've been attacked here for wanting to do more than struggle to survive when my combined illnesses mean I am only going to get increasingly worse

BB Helen xx

For a couple with no dependant children I think you need to work a min of 30 hours per week between you with one of you doing a minimum of 16 to be eligible for working tax credits. Can your OH get an extra 6 hours work or is it possible for you to get 6 hours work per week.? Even on a self employed basis might suffice , CAB will be able to confirm that.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Zappa my partner can't work any more and care for me, I have 2 kids under 16 and I have two serious breaks in my back as well as fibro, I'd love to work, is love to get out of the house most days

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits