[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Words of encouragement

Words of encouragement

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Words of encouragement

Postby Cheltz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:18 am

Hi, everyone, it's been a while since I have posted but I've been reading the posts of others on the forum and although fibro isnt my primary illness, I find I can relate better to this forum than others.

it seems that many are having the same problems as I did well over 16 months ago with ESA and DLA claims. I just wanted to offer a few words of encouragement to all those experiencing problems or those unsure about appealing a decision.

After being turned down for DLA, way back, feeling low and broken, unable to leave my house without help let alone do the necessary tasks like getting washed, dressed, getting to the toilet etc unaided, questioning if life were really worth the daily struggle, I didn't know if I had the strength to appeal their decision and feared for my health and sanity worried about the effects such an appeal would have on me. Worried that if I survived the appeal process would I be able to take another set back should my appeal be turned down. I know how frustrating it can be and the price our bodies pay for taking on such a daunting process. But please, please, don't give up, get those appeals in as winning them can literally change your lives for the better.

I won my appeal after a 18 month fight and the payments have helped to buy various aids to help me get back some of my independence. I used the money to buy a mobility scooter which means that on good days I can take myself out, it's only usually to the local green with my dog or to pop to the shops, but god does it feel good.

I also now have a fold up travel wheelchair which fits into a bag and goes in the boot of the car, making trips out with my family possible and maybe fingers crossed I will be able to get away for a short holiday.

I bought a rollator that has a seat on the top which I use for getting around my bungalow and taking walks out into my little garden. The seat on top means that I can take a few steps and then sit and rest before taking a few more steps.

I bought hand rails for my front door, my back door and around my bath taking the strain off my poor partners back as he helps to get me around and making me feel a little more stable and secure. ( not that he'd drop me LOL )

Then there are the little things that although small have made such a difference, a jar opener, a bottle opener, a machine that peels and cores apples and cuts it into manageable swirls, I can have a piece of fruit by myself without my partner having to peel and cut it up for me. A blender which my partner uses to make me nutritious smoothies as some days I have difficulty chewing and swallowing food. Finger bob pens that fit onto my fingers as I can't grip a pen, cutlery that does the same. A grabber that I can pick things up from the floor with, the list goes on.

All of the above are however small compared to the peace of mind I now have concerning my home. I no longer have the worry that I could lose my home or that I can't afford to heat it, that its okay to have the tv on as I will be able to pay the electric bill. Before I became Ill my fuel and utility bills were pretty low as I was out working 5 days a week but boy did they rocket now that I am home all the time.

So please everyone who is battling with the DWP, keep fighting. I'm not saying that a successful claim is the end to all of your troubles, far from it, i'm just saying that it helps to make life a little easier to bare and we deserve some quality of life as do those that care for us.

Take Care and I wish you all well.
Cheltz
UKFM Member

Re: Words of encouragement

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:03 am

Congratulations Cheltz!!! And Thank You for such a wonderful, positive, uplifting post on a miserable Monday morning xxx

It sounds like you've made some amazing strides forwards with being able to have these aids to help you.

Hearing how someone has won their appeal, and been able to use the additional munnies to help make such a difference to their quality of life can help boost others in a similar to where you found yourself to carry on xxx

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 am

Cheltz........As I read your post I felt through your words the excitement and peace you have felt.

It can take a long time to go through the process to receive a disability award. My own took 10 years. The relief one feels when approved is beyond description. The added stress as you have said we experience , while waiting for someone else to make the decision on the quality of life we should expect is unbearable at times.

How nice you were able to buy the items you need to sustain quality of life. Something as simple as a pen you can hold makes a huge difference.

Thankyou for sharing your story. It will give hope that good things , the right things, are allowed for those who truly need them.

Keep up the positive attitude, it will be contagious to others. XX
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby eeyorejd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Cheltz
After reading your story I thought I'd share mine.
After trying for years to get DLA I was awarded it in 2011 then in 2013 I had a letter asking if I was on the right levels. Unable to write properly now I had help to fill out the form from an amazing place called DIAL (they helped me get it in 2011). I sent off the form and wasn't really worried because I'd had five things added to what I'd already got including Fibromyalgia and was unable to do lots more than before due to various flare ups.DWP took ages to get back to me which I took as being good news but after calls and assessments in January this year they decided I didn't need anything they took away all my Dla including my car. This not only affected me financially but mentally as I felt I couldn't do anything or be a mom to our beautiful daughter. It added even more stress making the flare up I was having worse. I lost the will to fight thinking what's the point but with the help of DIAL, my falls team, OT, consultant and some brilliant family/friends I went ahead with my appeal and at the beginning of March I had the wonderful letter saying Id been awarded everything back.
Although I was very grateful to have everything back it put me in an awkward situation as My car had already been returned and I couldnt afford the advance payments to get the car I needed (to replace to one that was returned) but I was told by a lovely salesman that motability offer grants which I applied for and got so car is now on order and slowly I'm getting my life back and feel I can once again be a mom to my fantastic daughter who does so much for me.
So all I can say is keep fighting it's hard to stay positive but don't give up. Xx
eeyorejd
UKFM Member

Postby Cheltz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:17 pm

eeyorejd,
I truly empathise and totally get where you are coming from, I know exactly how you felt. My claim was also back dated and was granted for a period of 2years, that meant that I had to re-apply for DLA a few weeks ago and as I lost my job at Christmas due to my health issues I also had to claim ESA. After the farce of my previous claim which lead to my appeal, I was dreading having to make a fresh claim and worried that I could again be turned down and have to go through the whole process again.

Imagine my surprise when only 3 weeks after I submitted my new claim I received a letter from the DLA stating that I had been awarded both mobility and care allowances at top rates for an indefinate period. I included this award letter with my claim for ESA and I received a letter stating that after the 13 week assessment period I would be put in the support group. It took awhile for it to sink in.

I genuinely thought that maybe the DWP were learning from the thousands of mistakes made by Atos and that people were at last being awarded what they were entitled to. But after reading on this forum that people are still being wrongly assessed or kept waiting months, years for some, this is clearly not the case. The misery and devastation this is causing quite frankly makes my blood boil. Most of these people and their families have worked for years, paying into a system that was set up to help the very people it now stamps all over, emotionaly and physically drains before kicking them sharply to the kerb with the words liars ringing in their ears. Now I know that all societies have their scrounges and the work shy but for god sake get your facts right before you get out the hot irons and brand us all the same. (sorry rant over). It just makes me so mad.

Congratulations on winning your fight and I am so very pleased that for now you have a little peace of mind allowing you to concentrate your energy on what is important.

A huge thank you to everyone that has responded to my post. I know that when I was going through the claims and appeal process I gained strength from the stories of others who had gone before me and knowing that others had appealed and won gave me hope. I just wanted to pass a little of that on to others now in need who are facing a similar fight.
Cheltz
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:22 am

Lovely stories and words of encouragement, so glad to hear that things have improved for some and although we will continue to hear some bad and some sad stories these happy outcomes do give hope to those still going through the system :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits