Beginning a Future. (Please help :( )

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Beginning a Future. (Please help :( )

Postby Sye » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 pm

So.. for all my life (I'm 21 now) I've been aspiring to become a Veterinary Nurse. I'm now at the stage where I'm looking for practices to take me on as an apprentice and begin my training but.. I'm worried. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in December last year after years of physical health issues without answers. I'm currently receiving ESA and DLA while my dad is receiving carers due to my disability. If I was to get an apprenticeship how would this affect our benefits?

In addition to this, are there any people here that were able to cope with working and have been successful in any jobs such as human or animal nursing or fast paced jobs? My dad thinks its not a good idea to do it but I can't just give up a life long dream and although i'm willing, my body might not be. But i'm just so confused as to what to do. Its getting me so down as I don't want to give up my dream, I want to make it work somehow.
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Re: Beginning a Future. (Please help :( )

Postby humphreys » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi , Personally I would say you go for it, you only live once. I know this fibro gets you down, gives you pain, allows you to do what it allows, But don't give up, you are just 21, if you give up you will never know what would have happened. I work full-time with a lady with a Brain Injury and Stroke, when I'm working my mind is on work, when I'm at home sitting around my fibro gets to me so bad, but I'm not letting it drag me down, I also have Osteoarthritis. You go for it that's all I can say. Good Luck to you.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby humphreys » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:01 pm

I forgot to say, it's a wonderful job you are going to be doing, animals are so loving, wish I could have been a vet. Great opportunity.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi I work with young children 30 hours and I find that enough. I get school hols off and I don't know how I would manage without. But I am 47 so hopefully u can do a lot more than me. I would say go for it if you can't do it at least u tried :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 am

I say go for it you are inly 21 and you need to live a little. If you dont try you will always be wondering what if. You are young so your body may be able to cope better than my 48 year old body. The only thing is you will lose your ESA and also your carers at a guess as you will be working. But i still think it is worth a go. Good luck.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby Louloubelle101 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi, I think you should go for it. I was diagnosed over a year ago and, like you, I had years of problems without being diagnosed. During that time, I had a full time job and often helped my sisters take care of their kids. I am now a full time carer for my husband - a 24/7 job - and, while it is challenging, it is also rewarding as he really appreciates what I do for him. One thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already, is discussing pain relief options with your doctor just in case you have any flare ups or just to be able to deal with the day to day things in life.
Louloubelle101
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits