Blue Badge

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge

Postby diaryroom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi all
I am being encouraged to fill in the form for a Blue Badge. I haven't applied for PIP/DLA so not automatically entitled to one but there is a form that you can get if you want to apply separately. I am not holding my breathe getting one but at least I can say I have tried. Does anyone have any advice how best to fill this in please. I work part time and the location of my work is moving quite a distance from where I park my car and the only parking at the new premises is pay and display which I cannot afford. Any help would be extremely grateful. Thanks peeps and sending gentle hugs xx
diaryroom
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge

Postby Aldon40 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Hey I actually filled in the blue badge form in over the internet and took photo and evidence of who I was and e.mailed it all over it's actually the council that help with a blue badge. I have severe F.M and was lucky enough to get one I say go for it it helps me so much.xx
Aldon40
UKFM Member

Postby tich » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi i have one some pay and displays have disabled parking i would say go for it but make sure you read all the info that comes with it small hugs back
tich
UKFM Member

Postby diaryroom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks both for your encouragement. I am trying to fill it in with what I feel like on one of my worse days but worries me that if I get assessed it will be a good day - does that make sense xx
diaryroom
UKFM Member

Postby coletalbot » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 pm

I've recently applied for a Blue Badge from the council & they called me the other day to clarify a couple of things. They wanted to know if I used a walking aid or had a friend with me when I go out. I said no but what I should have said (hindsight is a wonderful thing) Is because of the pain I don't go out. Which is the truth.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby mikeyboy2014 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm

I dont qualify through PIP or DLA but applied to my local council with the backing of my GP and was awarded the Blue badge without any assesment or questions - best of luck in your application
mikeyboy2014
UKFM Member

Postby Ebbiewebbie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:02 pm

My Experience of the Blue Badge System.

On the advice of my Doctor, I recently filled in the on-line application but found the form a challenge, in that so many of the questions do not allow for a life dictated to by Fibromyalgia

eg: How far can you walk, and then after a rest, how much further can you then walk. I told the truth and explained that rest isn't really the issue. Either I can walk 20 metres on a particular day or I can't.

A lot of the form asks about breathlessness - again, in my case, breathlessness has no part to play in flat walking - the issue is pain, not breathlessness.

Don't try to "fit in" with the type of person you think they are looking for on the form. We are special people, its just that they haven't created the form quite right, so don't feel intimidated.

I did fill in the "Other" box with more information than I had probably put in the rest of the form, but I did find it easier to explain my personal issues with mobility that way.

I was called for an interview with a Physio a couple of weeks later - which I must admit I was dreading. Especially because as we made our way into the reception, all I could see was a giant staircase, and I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to manage an interview with the amount of pain I was going to be in if I was made to go up that staircase. Secondly, I can't bear people touching me, and knowing the interviewer was a Physio I thought that was exactly what she was going to do.....so you can imagine, by the time the interviewer arrived to meet us, I was a quivering wreck.

In my panic I hadn't even noticed the small ante-room within 4 steps of where I was sitting. She offered me a glass of water, which I was so thankful for, because by this time, I had tensed up so much I was in so much pain I could barely walk. The interviewer had no information that had been provided on the on-line form and so asked from scratch about my mobility, home life, medication, how I get about, how a blue badge would enhance my day-today mobility.

She was very easy to talk to, and I just answered as if I was having a chat with a friend. Obviously I was hoping that I would be considered as I am totally dependant on cars, and if there were "right" and "wrong" answers, I don't know what they were.

I did have to go for a short walk with the Physio - just a few yards outside - she asked lots of questions about my condition - I did feel she understood Fibro, which was a relief. I have only been diagnosed for about 4 months, having been going "downhill" as I think of it for 2 years.

I had absolutely no idea how it went, but I was delighted to get an email three days later to find I qualified for a Blue Badge - I then realised just how much of a relief it was to have it.

I hope that your interview goes well, and that this helps - Just be yourself -
Ebbiewebbie
UKFM Newbie

Postby jezebellow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I have had a Blue Badge for a few months now and it makes such a difference to my confidence about going out. I used to avoid going as I couldn't face the thought of the discomfort and exhaustion over what able bodied take for granted. Now I can go out with confidence knowing that I will be able to get somewhere near to where I need to be.
I asked my GP whether she would support my application which she agreed to. I filled my application on line and stated that my GP supported my application. To my surprise, very soon my badge came in the post. I didn't have to go for an assessment. So, my advice is, go for it. It will make a big difference to your quality of life.
jezebellow
UKFM Member

qRe: Blue Badge

Postby Amberk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi, i got my blue badge last year. I filled the form in, mainly on the extra page and was surprised when i was accepted as i dreaded having to go be messed around with physically by a doctor.
it was delayed in the post however as my support worker failed to inform me of the £10 charge!
i find the charge pretty ridiculous but need the badge desperately.
parking now is ssoo easy! Definitely just fill it in as you are.
fingers crossed for you and very gentle hugs.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby dustyella » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm

I've filled in the form and keeping my fingers crossed I get the blue badge and really hope you get your's too x
dustyella
UKFM Newbie

Postby diaryroom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. Nearly got the form finished but really stressing about it as don't want to underestimate how bad things can be. The two questions that are really getting to me is how far can you walk before you feel severe discomfort and how long does it take you to walk this distance - HELPPPPPPPPPPP PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE
diaryroom
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:21 pm

If you experience severe discomfort when you take your first step, then this is what you need to say. If you can walk 5 metres before things started appearing, then again state this, along with other info that you feel might help with your application.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby coletalbot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Great news! My blue badge arrived yesterday!
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits