DLA denied.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA denied.

Postby MissLeona » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I applied for DLA about a month or 2 ago and have just received a letter to say my claim has been denied and give a few different reasons. They stated i have no mobility problems, and no problems cooking a main meal. Exactly how the hell can they say i don't. No one ever met me, so i rang them and was told that it fell down to my GP report, in her words. Your gp has confirmed you have the following disabilities but has also stated that this do not affect your day to day life or your abilities to deal with it. I requested my gp report, he answered 3 questions. One stating my disabilities, one stating my medication and strangely the question about special investigations he gas wrote that i was refered to a mental health team but did not show up, that was true but he did not state that my last appointment ended up in me putting in a complaint.

This was not enough information, i don't tell my doctor about my mobility issues or anything like that i tell my OT because I feel easier speaking to a woman about bathroom issues etc.

I'm appealing this decision as they failed to get the correct information on me
Please advise me on how appeals go. I tend to stress out over simple things and right now i need all the help and advice i can get.

TIA XX
MissLeona
UKFM Newbie

Re: DLA denied.

Postby woodwasp » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:37 pm

hi sorry you got turned down for your dla,if you log onto www.benifitsandwork.co.uk this might help you understand the appeal process its a very helpful site :-)
woodwasp
UKFM Member

Postby jenfitzy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:06 pm

I was denied the first time I applied, but I had a family member phone and ask for it to be reconsidered, she was able to answer for me, and I now get the lower rate mobility. Which makes a great deal of difference to my income. Please don't give up, keep appealing :goodluck2:
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby duchess1973 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:05 pm

I was awarded DLA in 2008 and got full rate care and mobility which allowed me to get a car which then allowed me to attend appointments with doctors consultants and OT's. It actually gave me a life as I have FMS and M.E it meant I could leave the house on good days even if it was just for a short drive around on a sunny day. But when it came for renewal in 2011 I lost all my DLA all of it didn't even get awarded low rate care absolutely nothing. I rang them and asked them to look at it again but they still turned me down I then went through the appeal process and the tribunal and was still turned down. I am in receipt of full rate ESA but they still won't give me DLA or PIP as it is now in the north west, even though losing it as left me in dire situations whereas I'm sometimes in agony as my house is so cold as I've had to chose between gas and food and obviously food has to come first I cannot get to important appointments I sometimes don't get out of my house for weeks at a time as I can't negotiate public transport because of the pain and fatigue and I am actually on medication to stop me feeling suicidal as I'm so down because of my situation I have no support network as bar my partner and 16 yr old son I have no friends and family around me. But they just refuse to give me any rate of DLA so good luck with your claim x
duchess1973
UKFM Newbie

Postby eeyorejd » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi
After reading your story I thought I'd share mine.
After trying for years to get DLA I was awarded it in 2011 then in 2013 I had a letter asking if I was on the right levels. Unable to write properly now I had help to fill out the form from an amazing place called DIAL (they helped me get it in 2011). I sent off the form and wasn't really worried because I'd had five things added to what I'd already got including Fibromyalgia and was unable to do lots more than before due to various flare ups.DWP took ages to get back to me which I took as being good news but after calls and assessments in January this year they decided I didn't need anything they took away all my Dla including my car. This not only affected me financially but mentally as I felt I couldn't do anything or be a mom to our beautiful daughter. It added even more stress making the flare up I was having worse. I lost the will to fight thinking what's the point but with the help of DIAL, my falls team, OT, consultant and some brilliant family/friends I went ahead with my appeal and at the beginning of March I had the wonderful letter saying Id been awarded everything back.
Although I was very grateful to have everything back it put me in an awkward situation as My car had already been returned and I couldnt afford the advance payments to get the car I needed (to replace to one that was returned) but I was told by a lovely salesman that motability offer grants which I applied for and got so car is now on order and slowly I'm getting my life back and feel I can once again be a mom to my fantastic daughter who does so much for me.
So all I can say is keep fighting it's hard to stay positive but don't give up get as much evidence as you can from OT and or people around you. Hope you get it sorted.
eeyorejd
UKFM Newbie
eeyorejd
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm

From my own personal journey to get benefits and having sat through many court cases of others I have learned that decisions are based on reports from Drs and therapists etc.

They need to see in writing from someone who has evaluated you. I had a man from the ministry handle my case. His defence was my Dr,s wording that I had difficulties in housework, dressing at times etc.

One of the main things that was on a therapist report was .......In my opinion, this lady will never again be able to achieve a sustainable income through work to support herself. This lady will never hold a working position again.

You need to make sure that all your medical staff has all the information they need to make a more descriptive conclusion of your condition. They can only report on what is presented to them. I understand you talk to your OT but I feel that your GP, your primary care giver, should know all the facts. His reports are the ones that will count.

Another hint..... Always be honest when answering questions. Don't exagerate or dismiss things. If you can't do certain things, say so. If you are able to do things on occassion say so.
My Dr said some days I would be able to walk fine, other days not. He just told an insurance company that pays for my meds, that I would be on this medication for the rest of my life. That there would not likely be any change in my condition at all.

Talk to your Dr. He can help you. xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Hannah24 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of applying. I applied in September after a year of wondering how the hell I was going to fill the form in. Eventually I got CAB to help. A lady came to me and filled in the form with me. I didn't have to write any of it and she was great. She really help me put my health problems in an accuracte way without me feeling I was exaggerating or lying. If it had been just me filling in the form then I probably wouldn't have filled it in correctly and I probably wouldn't get a thing.

I am, however, still awaiting a decision. I eventually got an appointment for this week to meet with an ATOS doctor but because I want and need a home appointment I am going to have to wait longer. According to them a LOT longer and they couldn't give a timeframe.

I know that the CAB said that if I was unsuccessful then they would help me go through the appeal procedure. THis has taken a lot of stress out of it as I don't have the energy to fight it on my own.

Try CAB as I have them really supportive and helpful. There are other agencies out there to who can help. We are also lucky that we have a disability resource centre who can also offer advice and support.

I am concerned that I maybe unlucky to get PIPs/DLA but I'm also unsure what to do if I feel that the amount given is too little. I know beggars can't be choosers and to get some would be better than nothing but how do you know what is correct? According to the criteria I should meet the entitlement for both high mobility and care but I think from the sounds of it they will try to do everything not to give me that.

Why should I/we have to feel like I/we are constantly fighting for help to live a semi-normal/independent life?
Hope you get it sorted
x
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby MissLeona » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 am

Ive had a guy from a charity near my house fill in my original dla form, i spoke to him and he is willing to do my appeal aswell, this was a bit of relief as i doubt i could handle it alone. He did say most new applications get turned down to try and weed out the fakers?? Apparently it is nightmare here for that and he fills in around 5-8 forms on an average day

Ive been in full scale rant mode about this since i got my letter because on a daily basis i see people who get every benefit under the sun because the refuse to work yet im ill ive been on long term sick for 6 months from my job, i want to be able to get myself back to work but right now im struggling financially while people swan about with the best and have never worked a day in their lives.
out benefits system is messed up, the people that need the financial help get passed from pillar to post having to battle for any benefits while others who can easily work get everything handed to them on a plate!

I'm sorry about the rant but omg i could pull my hair out if i had the strength in my arms to do it
MissLeona
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:12 am

MissLeona, good luck for your appeal, I hope everything goes well for you. Please dont look at others and think they are fakers, some may possibly be but others may be just like yourself with an invisible condition that stops them working, the fraudsters are in a minority but anyone on benefits at the moment is being given a particularly bad press.

It is so difficult and soul destroying to be in the system at the moment so its probably best we dont turn on each other as well but just hope and pray someone will look at your case with more care :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MissLeona » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 am

I don't think people are fakers. That's what i was told by the person helping me. He told me a few stories about people claiming benefits over here, and that the extreme lengths they will go to just so they don't have to work. That shocked me, we fight every day with our body's and didn't ask for this to happen, yet this person knew someone that physically injured themselves just to claim dla. I know many people have an invisible illness, i know they should receive every help possible but its just not the case sometimes.
MissLeona
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:31 am

I wasnt having a go at you just giving another point of view. That story is awful, why would anyone want to go to such lengths, the majority of us would give anything to get back into the work force or even just have some normal days were we can go where we want to and do what we want without paying such a high price afterwards :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 am

MissLeona wrote:I applied for DLA about a month or 2 ago and have just received a letter to say my claim has been denied and give a few different reasons. They stated i have no mobility problems, and no problems cooking a main meal. Exactly how the hell can they say i don't. No one ever met me, so i rang them and was told that it fell down to my GP report, in her words. Your gp has confirmed you have the following disabilities but has also stated that this do not affect your day to day life or your abilities to deal with it. I requested my gp report, he answered 3 questions. One stating my disabilities, one stating my medication and strangely the question about special investigations he gas wrote that i was refered to a mental health team but did not show up, that was true but he did not state that my last appointment ended up in me putting in a complaint.

This was not enough information, i don't tell my doctor about my mobility issues or anything like that i tell my OT because I feel easier speaking to a woman about bathroom issues etc.

I'm appealing this decision as they failed to get the correct information on me
Please advise me on how appeals go. I tend to stress out over simple things and right now i need all the help and advice i can get.

TIA XX

It's unfortunately a common mistake for people unfamiliar with the benefit system to think the DWP or ATOS will approach your health care team for detailed reports on your condition and/or capability. Because they rarely do and on the rare occasion they do the questions they ask are very basis sort of yes or no questions leaving the GP with little room to manoeuvre.

Would be an idea to ask your OT to write a report for you giving details of your incapacity in the areas you mention and what help they have had to provide. For new claims it's helpful to have this report and send it in with your claim. GPS also tend to concentrate on the health and treatment of your condition and often your notes won't reflect your day to day life activities.

Often a report from your OT , Support or community health team in the case of MH issues. will carry more weight than your GP's reort.

Good luck with your appeal.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits