Medical assessments with Atos

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medical assessments with Atos

Postby juliewilson2412 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Has anyone got any good advice/guidance or know some good websites as I am going for my medical assessment with Atos in next two weeks? I would like to be prepared!
juliewilson2412
UKFM Newbie

Re: Medical assessments with Atos

Postby robbiecramp » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 pm

From the moment you enter the medical centre or wherever they are holding your assessment act as if it's your worst day take all relevant documentation from your multi disciplinary medical team. It does also depend on how your fibro and if you have any other conditions effect you also a list of all your medication that your on.
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby leetankers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

You shouldn,t tell them about just your worst day as that is lying!You should tell them what you are like on an average day as that is basically what they are asking.Remember honesty is the best policy and liars always get found out in the end!Hope this is the advice you were asking for......Lee
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby Terilassie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Rheumatoid arthritis UK website gives you all the things you need to do n say and what you need etc. I hope you get it :)
Terilassie
UKFM Newbie

Postby striveon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Considering Atos are notorious for finding the majority of people fit for work when 75% of decisions get overturned on appeal, I am inclined to agree that describing your worst day is the way forward. The sheer process made me so stressed there was no need to pretend on the day of my tribunal. I had no representative but my son came for support, I wrote a letter which the judge applauded me on,and I won with 18 pts, there's a facebook page called black triangle and they may be able to help, you could ask them for the score sheet it explains how they calculate your illness and its very useful, I wish I had seen a copy before my medical. Good luck, don't let the bastards grind you down.
striveon
UKFM Newbie

Postby leetankers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

I think you are missing the point I am making here.If everyone described their worst day there would be no money left in the country due to millions of people receiving pip!We all need to manage our conditions better and stop moaning and trying to squeeze every penny out of the system.If you are genuinely ill then you needn,t worry about anything as atos or whoever do your assessment will see that and you will receive what is due to you.They are good people and also very professional despite what some people are saying on this forum...............Lee
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 am

I think you will find that the stress and anxiety, travel etc will ask ensure by the time your getting to your appointment you will be having a bad day, just go prepared with all relevant information. If your asked to do something that will either cause pain there and then or later tell them, they don't read minds :) tell them everything, even if your embarrassed!

Lee, with all due respect, if the medical interviews were fair why do so many people win a tribunal after being refused pip?

Maybe they should claw back some money from benefit cheats rather than deny those most in need of help?
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby leetankers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:39 am

I do get what you are saying Zoomie but you must remember also that the assessor has come to that decision and they must have had reason to!You say about appealing but fail to mention how many millions the appeal system costs the country!We should all be concentrating on our good days more I know I do,then when I am having a really bad day I think of how many people are far worse than me!.............Lee
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby karen 0308 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 am

Hi this is my first time on this forum, I have just filled my PIP form out. I have sent as much info as I can. How long will I have to wait for a decision? I will also be attending clinical psychology and going to see mental health Dr for my depression as it is severe. My head was spinning after filling the pip for out, I was totally drained and exhausted, Did anyone else feel like that? I am off work on sick at the moment, as my walking is bad due to this fibro and depression. I am trying my hardest to get well and to do things around the home, my husband is one in a million, he goes to work fulltime and comes home to cook evening meal. He also cleans the house all the things I should be doing. The down side of this is I have to get up as early as 4am so my husband can help get me dressed then I sit downstairs on recliner chair until it is time to get my teenage son up for school. I feel really ashamed and upset even angry with myself that I cannot do these things, I used to be so active never sitting down for long and now look at me! I know I am one of the lucky ones as I have a great GP as well. My GP has researched fibro as he is trying to understand what this illness is and how he can help me and his other patients. I found out I had fibro about 2yrs ago but had been suffering at least 10 yrs plus. Had some rubbish advice from other GP's telling me to take painkillers and rub voltrol cream on my legs and back, at first it did take a small amount of swelling and pain down but omg I didn't really know what was wrong with me until I was diagnosed with fibro, I didn't understand what was happening to me when the pain was intense. I am glad I have been diagnosed with fibro, at least I now know I wasn't going mad!! I have a lovely next door neighbour she is brilliant, she does my ironing and pops in or phones me to make sure I am ok and don't need anything. Thanks for reading this and hopefully things will get better for each and everyone of us 8-) 8-) x
karen 0308
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 am

leetankers wrote:I do get what you are saying Zoomie but you must remember also that the assessor has come to that decision and they must have had reason to!You say about appealing but fail to mention how many millions the appeal system costs the country!We should all be concentrating on our good days more I know I do,then when I am having a really bad day I think of how many people are far worse than me!.............Lee

Leetankers I totally disagree with you.

In my opinion it shouldn't matter the cost to the country :!: We are born here and pay our taxes don't we :?: :pull-hair: And I am sure that we all concentrate on our 'good days'
Lindilou

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 am

Terilassie wrote:Rheumatoid arthritis UK website gives you all the things you need to do n say and what you need etc. I hope you get it :)

Terilassie, could you add a linky to this info please. I've asked Mr Googly which site it relates to, but don't seem to be able to find one that has anything along these lines. Alternatively, you can send me a pm with the address of the site if you want to. I'm thinking that there may be info that could also be helpful for us as well as those who have RA :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

leetankers wrote:I do get what you are saying Zoomie but you must remember also that the assessor has come to that decision and they must have had reason to!You say about appealing but fail to mention how many millions the appeal system costs the country!We should all be concentrating on our good days more I know I do,then when I am having a really bad day I think of how many people are far worse than me!.............Lee

Lee, it isn't the person carrying out the assessment that makes the decision about any benefit. They carry out the assessment and prepare the report, this report is then sent to DWP and a DWP Decision Maker looks at everything relating to the claim and makes the decision.

The issues relating to those carrying out the assessments centre on the way the assessments themselves are carried out, as well as the contents of the reports. When copies have been received, the reports are being found to contain info that completely contradicts what actually occurred and was said during the assessment itself. And the majority of reports tend to be weighted in the direction of the claimant being "fit for work."
leetankers wrote:You shouldn,t tell them about just your worst day as that is lying!You should tell them what you are like on an average day as that is basically what they are asking.Remember honesty is the best policy and liars always get found out in the end!Hope this is the advice you were asking for......Lee

As you believe that honesty is the best policy, rather than focussing on worst days and average days, surely a claimant should be striving to produce as clear an overall picture of how their condition{s} affect them and impact on their lives. This would show just how much things fluctuate and the frequency at which such fluctuations can and do occur, which is what we always suggest they try to do as a matter of course. For some, such a picture may be more inclined towards bad days rather than good/average because that is how they are affected, whereas for others, it may be closer to being more balanced.
leetankers wrote:I think you are missing the point I am making here.If everyone described their worst day there would be no money left in the country due to millions of people receiving pip!We all need to manage our conditions better and stop moaning and trying to squeeze every penny out of the system.If you are genuinely ill then you needn,t worry about anything as atos or whoever do your assessment will see that and you will receive what is due to you.They are good people and also very professional despite what some people are saying on this forum...............Lee

I think you may be missing a point here, the OP has asked about
juliewilson2412 wrote:Has anyone got any good advice/guidance or know some good websites as I am going for my medical assessment with Atos in next two weeks? I would like to be prepared!

There is no mention of which benefit the assessment relates to, it could be PIP, or it could be ESA. As for us all needing to manage our conditions better, for most of us, we are striving to do just that on a daily basis. If you have some info/advice on how we can do so more effectively, then please feel free to share it with us. Every little bit we can do for ourselves will clearly add a few more pennies to the country's coffers.

As for needing to stop moaning, I presume you will be following your own advice. Saying that something needs to happen is all well and good, but to really make such a point valid, you do need to practice what you are preaching. Looking back thru your posts, there are number when you have moaned about something, and rather than people coming out and making glib comments about needing to do things in a better way, they have instead posted supportive comments as they understood, from their own experiences, the sort of thing you were experiencing, and shared their experiences with the simple hope that there might be something in amongst them that can help you in a positive way.

There are other things that need addressing, but they will have to wait for now as there are other topics to be read and dealt with as well.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby momsy05 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Well said FluppyPuffy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
momsy05
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

:mrgreen: Many thanks fluppyPuffy :mrgreen:
Lindilou

Postby zoomie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm not missing the point, getting to those most in need should be the highest priority, I also don't believe any one was moaning!
You are however very lucky to be able to concentrate on your good days, I enjoy mine, I have about 7a year, so the majority of days are those my OH helps me with EVERYTHING, I was refused pip when I first claimed for it I actually got to the appointment, I quote "if you can get here you can't be as bad as your form suggests" I was treated like a liar - the very fact that I made myself go put me in hospital for almost two weeks.... So I appealed, it didn't go as far as court, my ot, pt, gp and consultants all wrote on my behalf.
I have fibromyalgia, RA, lupus, Reynolds and. RLS. I need every penny I get to pay for care! In my previous life I payed in a lot of money in NI, my OH works around my needs too, we have enough to deal with without people like you basically calling us scroungers!

I apologize for typos, I use a joystick type device and don't always see errors.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits