PIP late appeal process

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP late appeal process

Postby lippy67 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm

hi everyone, i want to appeal and wonder if i have a case to appeal
During the year 2013 I was going thorough a very stressful time at work , I decided it was necessary to to become a whistle blower against a member of staff and the abuse she caused.

This was went on for some while and I was off work sick because of the work stress back pain, fibromyalgia, stress and depression, Id had to move during this time and the move went wrong , which added to my stress levels,so moved to Torquay with to live with my now ex partner ,My 73 year old mother is battling with Breast Cancer and as she lives in North Wales I didnt see her much,

all with in a couple of months I then lost my Job Due to Sickness , the capabilities procedure took a while so added to my stress., a few days later my 21 year old son who had just started his 3rd year in Aberystwyth Uni, had been told he had Blood Cancer , (Hodgkins Lymphoma), and he decided as we have family close, he would have his chemotherapy and radio therapy in north wales,

Also I had been put on a new medication called Duoxetine which I had a bad reaction to and caused me sever vomiting., I was also caring for my ex partner when he was recovering from an stroke became ill with sickness all over Christmas and new year, saw numerous doctors to see if they could help with this on going vomiting I couldn’t take any of my medication which ment I was having no pain relief, couldnt take my antideressents, or HRT made me feel so much worse and my depression was at an all time low,I wasnt coping well with my sons illness, I had no fight in me, felt so little about my self and the is also had a knock on effect with my relationship started to fall apart. contributed to the end of my relationship with my partner as he couldn’t cope with my illness.

I Had my ATOS assessment on Wed 27th November 2013 , and was in a very low mood and a lot of pain as usual. The young woman was asking questions and doing the physical which was very uncomfortable and painfull , I told her to be gentle , and I winched a few times. There was another person there a man, who was in and out of the room and leaving the door open , which really upset me as the woman was asking me personal questions about my bladder and bowel, I did not appreciate the lack of privacy , compassion and respect involved in the assessment ,I left in tears as it was a horrid experience.

I received the letter from the DWP on the 13th dec 2013 letting me know that I was not awarded P.I.P.. and I would receive a call from them to discus why. This bad news didn’t help by adding more stress and my depression was at rock bottom,
I received the call from a lady from the DWP on or around the 18th December 2013 and was told I had 7 points on care and 4 on mobility. I was told I didn’t get PIP because the assessor said in her opinion I can walk 50meters. She didnt take into account that I am in severe discomfort and pain with walking

I explained in my ATOS assessment and to the DWP that the unbelievable pain I get when walking any distance, Im in constant pain 24/7.but I was told nothing they can do and I would need to give more evidence and I could go to tribunal but wouldn’t get very far. Again in tears, feeling of hopelessness wondering why people wont believe me, im not lieing about anything, and became ill with sickness all over Christmas and new year, saw numerous doctors to see if they could help with this on going vomiting I couldn’t take any of my medication which made me feel so much worse and my depression was at an all time low,I wasnt coping well with my sons illness, I had no fight in me, felt so little about my self and the is also contributed to the end of my relationship with my partner as he couldn’t cope with my illness. By this time the month to ask for an appeal had past and as far as I was concerned there was nothing I could do. I was in a dark place and no one to help me.

On reflection I realized that this was not accountable the way I was treated at the ATOS Meeting was disgraceful, no consideration to the amount of pain I was in, the lack of privacy and leaving doors open was a breech of my confidentiality. I do not know who this man was in the room with me but he was a physio and playing on his phone was not very professional.

I was not in a well frame of mind mentally or physically at the time to fight and appeal and I seeking help from CAB to see if I can appeal now. I have lot many jobs with ill health and having no job , money or anywhere to live , and ontop my illness which will never get better
so in a very brief nutshell.. im going to see CAB , but wondered if i should and has anyone else put in a late appeal for special circumstances

Lippy :-D
Last edited by denys on Mon May 05, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraghs smaller to make the post easier to read
lippy67
UKFM Newbie

Re: PIP late appeal process

Postby zappa20 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm

So sorry to read about so many difficult things happening at the same time in your life, and the dreadful effect it will be having on you.
Certainly CAB will be able to advise you on making a late appeal.

I have very little knowledge on PIP so can't advise, however there are a couple of excellent posters on PIP including one with a legal background on the youreable forum who have detailed knowledge on PIP who may be able to clarify things for you and could be an idea to ask on there. All are disabled so can I suggest without intending any offence you use a bit more spacing in your post as it's very hard to read in the one go.

I think they will also advise with reference to the doors being left open during your assessment you treat that as a separate complaint to the assessment provider.

The 2 things you have to deal with are seeing if your personal circumstances will allow a late appeal , and then putting your PIP appeal together in a relevant order. Certainly if the guy I have in mind sees your post he will be able to help you put things into context , he is very supportive and knowledgeable on PIP.

Best wishes zappa20
zappa20
UKFM Member

Re: PIP late appeal process

Postby denys » Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi I have broken your post up into smaller paragraphs just to help with reading, one of the things some of us suffer with is an inability to read large blocks of text :-D :-D

Only you know whether you feel ready to go to appeal, if you think things werent represented fairly or evidence wasnt taken into account then try but as Zappa said try to get some advice from either DIAL CAB or another one of the benefits advisory agents.

I hope things work out, it may be you will be too late to appeal this decision but if thats the case then start over with a fresh claim :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits