Reducing hours or days at work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Reducing hours or days at work

Postby Helhit » Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 pm

I work in a mainly desk based job and am considering reducing my hours at work. I can't decide whether to take a full day off or reduce the amount of hours each day.
I know we are all different, but I wondered what would be the best decision and any experiences would be very helpful.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Re: Reducing hours or days at work

Postby carolad » Mon May 12, 2014 5:49 pm

I recently reduced my hours from 37 to 30 hours a week and I went for the shorter days option - so I still work 5 days but do 9.30am to 4pm. It has made a huge difference to me, I really wish I'd done it sooner! I did wonder about going down to a 4 day week instead but I think that would just mean I was exhausted on the days I was at work and would need my day off as a 'recovery' day. But working shorter days, I have managed not to get into that 'exhausted' state to start with.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 am

That sounds like a good idea and Im glad it's working for you.
It's a big decision to make so don't want to get it wrong. I'm going to try a phased return with reducing my hours and see how that goes,
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Tue May 13, 2014 10:30 am

Helhit wrote:That sounds like a good idea and Im glad it's working for you.
It's a big decision to make so don't want to get it wrong. I'm going to try a phased return with reducing my hours and see how that goes,

It certainly is a big decision. I first had the idea about a year ago but I didn't really want to take that step. I felt quite down about it to start with, like I was 'giving in' to my health problems and letting people down. And then of course there is the financial considerations. I don't think anyone takes a pay cut lightly...

But all things considered, I know I made the right choice. There has to be more to life than work...so at least this way, I can start to get some life back for 'me' again :)

I hope reducing your hours helps you in the same way x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Sounds like you got the balance just right. That's just what I want to do, instead of taking all home time recovering from work.
The financial side is def the hardest part, but better lose a days pay instead of having to give up altogether.
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

when reducing hours or days due to health make sure that it is properly recorded
should you ever have to give up work altogether due to health in the future
and if there is a work pension involved
they will take your original times and not your reduced times for calculation

best wishes that reducing will help you long term
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Helhit » Thu May 15, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks for the heads up there Fibro Lu I'll remember that. It will go down in the review notes and I will make sure it's properly noted as being for ill health.
You def have to ensure you have your back covered don't you!!!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits