Blue Badge renewal - referred to Independent Mobility Assess

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge renewal - referred to Independent Mobility Assess

Postby FinkyDink » Wed May 14, 2014 3:13 pm

I have had my Blue Badge for 3 years, originally being granted it for Menieres, at that point I applied, they wrote to my GP who confirmed I needed one, job done.

It expires in June, and there isn't a renewal process, you have to re-apply.

My application has been 'Referred to an Occupational Therapist for an Independent Mobility Assessment'. When I queried this, the council said in 2012 the Dept of Transport changed from asking the GP to doing this.

I'm a little concerned as I'm not sure I strictly tick the boxes, so if it's a box ticking exercise I'm done for. You know how it is, some days you can walk and others you can't get out of bed, what if they catch me on a good day. The Blue Badge for me also hasn't really been about walking far, it's being able to have the car close by so I don't have to carry heavy stuff, being bale to park in a wide bay so if I have a dizzy spell I don't wkach the car door into another, not having to queue and get anxious.

If they don't grant me a new BB, I will be seriously disadvantaged. Really worried about this. What can I expect from the assessment? And where will I have to go for it?!
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge renewal - referred to Independent Mobility As

Postby *Lisa* » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Im not sure on the new assessment for a blue badge but i can assure you that i was granted one a while back just on anxiety.

I dont drive but needed one for my mum who takes me everywhere as i suffer bad anxiety attacks (especially in shops) and need to get to my *safe place* within a min or so when i felt an attack come on.

Now tho i have high rate mobility and this atomatically entitles you to a blue badge if needed. Not sure if your on any mobility rates? this will help with your application
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby hoysey » Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 am

I just got my first Blue Badge yesterday, I didn't have to do an anything with an occupational therapist, but that could possibly have been because I had to have a medical for my PIP a couple of months ago, so maybe that was probably taken into consideration.
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby mikeyboy2014 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:30 am

Section 4:3 in the link below is concerned with this subject - hope it helps

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/b ... idance.pdf
mikeyboy2014
UKFM Member

Postby FinkyDink » Thu May 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Thanks everyone - I don't claim any mobility so apply through the Council for my badge, and that's now how they do things.

Hubby says it's not a bad idea as at least I can talk to someone and express things out of the box - like the anxiety etc. I wont go anywhere if I think I wont be able to park, and I can't use public transport for the same reasons.
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby FinkyDink » Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 pm

MIkeyboy, that is hugely helpful, thank you
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Postby lovesbubbles » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you so much for that link, have re-applied to day will let you know how I get on
lovesbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby mikeyboy2014 » Fri May 16, 2014 9:07 am

Glad the link was helpful
mikeyboy2014
UKFM Member

Postby lovesbubbles » Sat May 31, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi
Just a re-cap. I read the link, filled in the form and my blue badge arrived on the mat yesterday x
lovesbubbles
UKFM Member

Postby FinkyDink » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I have finally been approved after being withough a Blue Badge for a month, just waiting for it to come in the post. Then see what hoops I need to jump through in three years time when it no doubt will have changed again!!
FinkyDink
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits