The impact Fibromyalgia has on finances

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The impact Fibromyalgia has on finances

Postby cocobella » Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 am

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing as well as you can be :)

Is it just me, or are there tons of you other there who are struggling financially due to this illness? I have lost my fulltime job, can only work part-time, have been assessed by occupational health and they say that I can only work part-time until there is an improvement in my abyss of health conditions. I am only 27 and personally I feel I will never be able to afford to live in my own home on just a part-time wage.
I was informed via a letter yesterday that my claim for personal independence payment has been disallowed. I applied June 2013!!!! :evil: and am only just getting a decision made now. The letter stated I will be getting a call from a case manager this week to discuss why it was disallowed. I am personally disgusted they would disallow it. Can anyone recommend or does anyone know what I can do? Is an appeal even worth going through? I feel scared about that whole process.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Re: The impact Fibromyalgia has on finances

Postby lindauk1 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:32 am

good luck its worth a try my dla ends september so will be applying for pip soon x :(
lindauk1
UKFM Member

Postby Denbev » Wed May 21, 2014 11:42 am

Hi I've got an app for a medical assessment beginning of June for PIP+it must of been so long ago I finally got my head around the form I couldn't even remember sending it,I'm not looking forward to it as all I've heard is negative things about PIP but I don't see why I should struggle on a daily basis+can hardly work when there are people that have never worked+on benefits+there's nothing wrong with half of them!because of being self employed I get penalised it's not fair. :-x
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby bulldog7274 » Wed May 21, 2014 11:48 am

im in the same boat but even working part time is hard sometimes but yes dropping down from full time to part has impacted our family finance big time. Im lucky in the fact that i get dla at the moment, but to try and help myself and family im trying to set up my own business working from home and will be selling from home and car boot sales :fingerscrossed:
bulldog7274
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I agree that fibro along with any chronic illness can impact patients finances

I am lucky, if you want to call it luck, LOL, that I had an injury at work that triggered fibro. I was awarded 100% disability and got my full pay ( workers compensation disability) until I am 65 and then transfer to a government pension. It did take 10 years to sort everything out and I had no income but they did give me back pay for it all once they figured out what was wrong etc.

Any medication I need or treatments etc. that are related to my injury are paid for by workers compensation. I wear 2 Fentanyl patches and they are expensive.

The only downfall is that it doesn't go up much a year, just a few dollars. I get the same as I made 25 years ago. Once again I am lucky, I made very good money and my income today is as much as some that work 40 hours a week.

If I had not had the accident, if fibro just came as it does to others I would have been in real trouble. Even having to wait 10 years for money we lost our home and business. We happened to get stung with my hubby's business and a small business can't take a loss in the 100K range. We bounced back though.

We didn't have any benefits for eyes, dentist so we didn't get them checked. I have had many surgeries but our government health plan covers everyone equally. We pay for nothing to do with regular medical care.

People don't realize just how much illness can change your life financially. It is the things like extended health care, retirement pensions through work etc that are forgotten. It is not just the rent/mortgage and groceries, even though, those have been hard to pay at times.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby migrembe » Wed May 21, 2014 12:56 pm

You don't get PIP or DLA on whether you need it financially, the fact that you are able to work at all is probably why they have disallowed it. However i would fight your case until you can't fight any more and when it's done put in a new claim. I had to give up work completely and spent a year in bed, but living on my own means i have to forage for food, thank goodness it's summer and i can eat salad, although not too much as it makes my jaw ache.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby ECH » Wed May 21, 2014 1:19 pm

It's only now, on reflection, that I feel I can blame my financial crisis on Fibro. I had to file for bankruptcy 6 years ago and now when I come to think about this realise that my thinking was so foggy and clouded. All I can remember is sitting with piles of bills and wanting to cry myself to sleep.

Without doubt I could not hold down a proper job with regular hours, I just too damn tired most of the time. I work piecemeal and sporadically now but some days I am barely strong enough to start a chainsaw...and foggy thinking when felling trees isn't really very clever. Some days, when it's cold and wet just holding the saw or the quad handlebars is absolute hell, and it's often cold and wet up here on the North Western edge of Europe. But worse than the working days are the evenings, the intense pain in fingers and hip, elbow and shoulders.

So, yes, Fibromyalgia has had a profound effect on my finances. Thank heavens that my wife has such a good job.
ECH
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm

cocobella wrote:Can anyone recommend or does anyone know what I can do? Is an appeal even worth going through? I feel scared about that whole process.

I replied Here yesterday with some info about the appeals process if you do decide to go down that route. I've also been trying to find out if you need to wait a specific amount of time from a claim being denied before you could reapply, but so far have drawn a big fat zero :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I know that with some benefits, it is necessary to wait a period of time {6 months keeps jumping into my mind :-? :-? :-? } before submitting another claim. This might be something to look into/find out more about if you are wondering about making a new claim.

You could also look into who in your area might be able to help/advise about an appeal, if you want to know more about the process before making a decision.

As for the impact it has on finances, well it has definitely given ours a battering over the years, even with OH working full time.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed May 21, 2014 1:35 pm

I have moved you into here as this is a more suitable board for your questions
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lovesbubbles » Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 am

Hi coco

I put in a claim for PIP last July, eventually went for my assessment and had had my claim turned down. I then received a phone call from the 'decision maker' and we talked through why I felt the decision was wrong, going through it point by point as in the form. That information was going to go in front of a panel of people who would then reconsider my claim. That was 9 weeks ago and I am still waiting.

Its not all doom and gloom at the moment, definitely go through the reasons you were disallowed and make sure to tackle them with the person on the phone point by point. Then you just have to wait again!

I will be back as soon as I hear from them with an update

Mx
lovesbubbles
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits