ATOS assessment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ATOS assessment

Postby leikela » Thu May 22, 2014 10:57 am

After being on ESA for over a year, I called DWP and ATOS this week to query whether I'd been lost in the system. They then immediately arranged to put me on the system and made an appointment for the 2nd week in June. I just received the paperwork today and I'm starting to get really worried about it. The appt is in Cambridge and they want me to walk a good distance in order to get there. I can barely even walk to the end of the road let alone 25 mins in one go! I'll be a wreck by the time I make it (if I even do!). As far as I can tell there's no parking nearby, and driving 50mins to get there will be a struggle in itself. I just want to cry! Why do they make it so, so hard for us??
leikela
UKFM Member

Re: ATOS assessment

Postby mikeyboy2014 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:16 am

Tell them about your troubles getting to the centre and ask for a home assessment due to the unneccesary stress going to the centre will cause you - I did that on my ESA assessment and a home visit was arranged.
mikeyboy2014
UKFM Member

Postby bouncer0304 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:24 am

When i had my first appointment, it was in a building which had four sets of stairs and it would be on the fourth floor. When i phoned to ask if they could change where i would be assessed as i really struggle with stairs, the lady was really helpful and moved me to a centre which, although further away, was on the ground floor. She was grateful i'd phoned to ask for the change since she said so many people just assume they have to take the appointment given. I'd give them a ring and explain how difficult it is and ask if there's any chance you can be moved to a more suitable location. If they can't, then ask them to organise a taxi for you directly to the place since you would seriously struggle to walk that far to the entrance. They do provide taxi's but only if you tell them in advance. Then again, you could ask for a home visit.
I sometimes wonder if they do it on purpose to test you to see if you're as bad as you say you are. Mine's on hold since the recording equipment wasn't available (again could be worth asking for since any discrepencies could he questiined but phone a few days before to check just incase they don't have it). Give them a ring is the best thing i can suggest- the call centre staff should help you. Best of luck!
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby marie marrison » Thu May 22, 2014 11:37 am

I have received a letter from capital for my new medical and as I have problem walking like u I ask them to come to my house and I am still waiting for the appointment :-) xx
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:46 am

Definitely give them a call. As bouncer has said, some people think they must attend the appt stated in their letter, and may not be aware that alternatives are available.
:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby leikela » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks all, never thought to ask for a different assessment centre! Have just been reading up on the assessments and getting myself all worked up :-/ I'll try that and see what they say, wish me luck :)
leikela
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 pm

I think Capita are better in that respect. Although it has taken them 7 months to get to me the appointment offered was at my home. I was very surprised and very grateful. I had a very nice lady, a registered nurse, arrived on time and spent plenty of time with me to ensure she got all my details. Unfortunately, there are things I didn't tell her which I remembered afterwards. I would recommend that when anyone does get their appointment, hopefully in a convenient place, to make notes before hand. Good luck.
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits