housing benefit change of details

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

housing benefit change of details

Postby Brett Dale » Wed May 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi all
just wondering if anyone can offer some advice, with all thats going on im suffering a mass flare up, cant concentrate and im stressed out to level iv never been.

In short after 7 years my marriage has ended as my wife decided she was gay, i have since found out she has been lieing and deceiving me to get money out of me, this tho isnt what my question relates to as im dealing with this one.

The issue is...

I have just contacted my council to declare the change of details as im now separated, apparently somewhere along the way an age cap was changed now if you are under 35 (i am 34 and the age cap used to be 25) you are expected to live in a house share with a wopping £50 a week, For the last 7 years i have claimed HB and lived in my own house, 12 months ago i moved to a bungalow with my then wife as using the stairs was killing my knees, she has literally abandoned me with all our pets some of which i am willing to rehome but some such as my dogs (i have a friend who walks them for me) i will give up over my dead body. Now the question is as a continuing claim am i subject to the new rules and the new age cap of 35 or should i be subject to the old rules and the age cap of 25.
Brett Dale
UKFM Newbie

Re: housing benefit change of details

Postby sezzaden » Wed May 28, 2014 2:18 pm

hi brett sorry to here of all your troubles have a look at this link
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advic ... e_under_35
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:20 pm

I don't think the age cap or benefit cap will affect you if you are on certain benefits like pip, claim working tax tax credits or claiming esa, best advise to give you is to check with citizens advice as it may differ from area to area..someone that knows benefit laws would be an advantage..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Brett Dale » Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm

unfortunately it would seem im up the "sewer" creek without a paddle, if im reading everything right the new rules were imposed on everyone without a care, but it would seem (not sure i read it right) if you are not a private tennant you would be entitled to the one bedroom component, i.e. if you lived in a council or housing association house.
Brett Dale
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 28, 2014 3:40 pm

Having word with someone who is familiar with how the system works might still be worthwhile. They will be able to go thru everything with you, and give you some advice specific to you and your situation.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits