PIP Hearing - advice required

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP Hearing - advice required

Postby cocobella » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some of your expert advice. I am completing my SSCS1 form to appeal the decision to my entitlement to PIP (No entitlement what so ever) despite having numerous health problems.

There is a section on the form which states - Grounds for appeal
In this section we need to know why you are appealing. Please write down in your own words the reasons why you disagree with DWP’s decision.

I am thinking - where on earth do I start here? Can anyone provide any information they think would be relevant?

Background details - 27, fibro, no thyroid, possible sjogrens (awaiting biopsy), anemia and vitamin d deficiency due to possible malabsorption issues. Grieves for her old life. Lost fulltime job, works part-time now and struggles, but doesn't want to leave!

Thanks everyone

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Re: PIP Hearing - advice required

Postby cocobella » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Should probably add that I was disallowed by only 2 points!!! with the care component. I also received 4 points for mobility.
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby heatherjswiegers » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello
One of the most important points that they look at is how it affects you and your family.
I told them I have no family life with my daughter or husband.
I am constantly depressedu because my husband and daughter can not participate in every day activities with me.

I find making food too painful and some times have to be fed by my husband due to cramps and carpel tunnel in both hands.
I do not have a social life. I have tightness in my chest, panic attacks if I go out the house. I can not use public transport. I am in so much pain and am worried that it gets worse then I can not get home quick enough to dose with morphine.

My husband has to help me in and out of the bath/shower and help me wash my self and hair most times. He even has to help me get dressed regularly.

I got my first time. The will be checking next year and the year after another review.

My gp advised do not hold back.

Reach deep inside and fill you paper work in as if you are speaking to some one that has never heard about fibrobyalgia.

The gp paper work is also important. I see mine at least twice a month.
Limitations are a large factor. Can you walk five bus then at once. I told then on a good day maybe two and on a bad day I can not get out of bead. They want to know the difference between good and bad days.

I hope some of this helps you.
Heather
heatherjswiegers
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Have you received the copies of all the paperwork relating to your initial claim form Coco?? If so, the best place to start will probably with the fairy tale/fantasy horror story that is supposed to be the report from your assessment. You need to go thru it and highlight all the points that have said are the opposite/different to what you have written down, and then explain why this is wrong. If anyone else has been contacted and provided info relating to your claim, you will also need to do the same with their reports, letters etc.

If you have any additional info that helps support your side of this, then also include it. Do remember tho, these hearings usually look at how things were when you initially filled in the form, so if you include info about how things have changed since you sent you claim in, it may well not be taken into consideration.

If you find it could be difficult to have everything ready and together to send by the necessary cut~off date, send in what you can get together and include an explanation about there being additional info to be sent in when you receive it.

We would normally suggest getting help with putting an appeal together from somewhere such as CAB, but with how busy then seem to be, this isn't always possible to do in time. If you can, then having a word with someone, or seeing if someone can at least have a look thru it before you send it off might be worth considering, just to give yourself the best chance possible.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby morette5 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:16 pm

I find the form concentrates mainly on the physical, as if it were all that debilitates you. My greatest disability is the mental fatigue.
I cannot think i cannot plan i cannot remember simple instructions if it is a multiple of steps.
In my former life i was an Analyst and problem solver. I used to cook 3 meals at a time.
I now struggle to cook a single meal. Just getting everything to be cooked at the same time is now impossible.
That mental devastation is not accounted for on the forms.
This is a major part of Fibromyalgia.
The sufferer cannot be eloquent enough, on demand. We cannot defend ourselves.
We concentrate too hard on a question we know is not relevant, we forget to say it if not relevant.
We are too busy trying to cope to defend our unique and unrepresented position on this unfair form.
Writing this reply to your post,is only possible because i can right at this minuet.
In 15 mins time i may not be able to string a sentence together.
(Thank the Lord for spell checker!!)
Your PIP appeal should convey this message.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby mags3pets » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

These forms are so difficult. I filled out my ESA50 listing all my conditions. The Nurse who asseased me decided to use only four arthritis, aathma, fibromyalgia and sciatica. She totally ignored the rest: anaemia: depression; hiatus hernia; migraine; oesophagitis; PBC; Raynauds; scleroderma and telangiectasia. She didn't contact my GP, my Raynauds & Scleroderma Nurse, or any of my Consultants. I appealed and onxe I forwarded their letters of confirmation I was put into the Support Group. Its ridulous. If a GP and/or Consultant states a patient has certain illness why should non-medically qualified people be able to question the diagnosis. I was diagnosed with sjogren's syndrome in March so that's another one for them to ignore disgraceful. Good luck with your appeal. I have no idea when mine is due again. God bless. :-)
mags3pets
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits