Contribution based ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Contribution based ESA

Postby wenglew » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of some dental work and as I receive Contributions based ESA I was curious if I qualified get for free treatment.
After a confusing telephone call I went online and was pushed from pillar to post without getting anywhere.
What are the benefits and drawbacks from Contributions ESA and Income ESA?

I hope there is someone who can let me know what to do as it looks like the bill is going to be a whopper!

Thanks in advance :-)
wenglew
UKFM Newbie

Re: Contribution based ESA

Postby sej55 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:27 pm

No free dental or other medical treatment on any contribution based benefits. Only on income based benefits. Sorry x
sej55
UKFM Newbie

Postby mags3pets » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:58 pm

I have a friend who gets DLA but didn't qualify for income support under the old system. Hr was wiyh his Dentist a cew weeks ago a d the Dentist told he now qualifies for free treatment as he's in receipt of incapacity npw part of ESA. You could check with your Dentist bit my friend was told its because he gets incapacity.
mags3pets
UKFM Member

Postby sandiestars » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi there

Under Nhs guidelines you will not be entitled to free dental treatment if you receive contributions based ESA.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx - sets down which benefits are entitled to nhs exemptions

You can however apply for a HC2 form if you have low income , you need to request a HC1 form via gov.uk to apply for a HC2 certificate.

Hope this helps :oops:
sandiestars
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:48 pm

Income~related ESA is paid based on the household income, so if that is below the threshold limit stated, it will mean that the claimant is entitled to the help available with the cost of NHS health costs, incl dental costs. This Linkyexplains about the type of help available.

If the household income means that Income~related ESA cannot be claimed, then Contributions~based ESA could be claimed, provided sufficient National Insurance contributions have been paid within a specified time period. Contribution~based ESA is paid on a phased basis initially whilst the claimant is assessed to see if they qualify for full entitlement. The rate paid during the assessment phase is a similar amount to what is paid when on JSA. If they do qualify, then they will be placed in either the Work Related Activity Group or Support Group.

With Contributions~based ESA, there is no entitlement to help with health costs. If someone has specific additional conditions, such as Diabetes, they may be exempt from paying some charges, such as eye tests fees, or prescription charges, but dental treatment doesn't tend to be included in these exceptions/allowances.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits