Multiple disabilities & PIP application.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Multiple disabilities & PIP application.

Postby E-Bunny » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:45 am

Hi,

I have just applied for PIP but have been given the impression that they will only take into account that the claim will only take into account 1 disability.

I have had severe depression for nearly 13 years now, but also have FM and epilepsy ( still not controlled ).

Will they take into account all 3 or only one ?

Kindest regards

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Re: Multiple disabilities & PIP application.

Postby Kyomii » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:52 am

PIP is about how your conditions affect you. It takes all into account. Not sure why you thought only one was taken into account?
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby Lisa_mulholland » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Hi Tina
I have all the same things as you and have just got Dla the only difference is that my epilepsy is controlled.
They take into account all of the problems you have and the effects it has on your daily life.
If you need help during the day/night.
How much help you need and how good your Gp is he has a lot to do with the decision.
Hope this helps xx
Lisa_mulholland
UKFM Newbie

Postby gross1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi bunny.. How far are you into your PIP claim? have you simply requested the paperwork or actually filled in the forms?

When filing in the section about your conditions and disabilities, make sure you list ALL of your conditions not just the primary one. The following information may help. It's a snippet from a PIP guide I made recently.I hope it helps

Question 2a - Health conditions and disabilities

This question is simply asking you to list all of your conditions.

The list should include any associated problems caused by the primary condition. You are asked to include the date that the condition began. This does not have to be specific, so approximations will usually do.

If the condition is less than three months old however, you should provide precise dates.

In the same way, if you have had treatment in the past which shows the seriousness of your condition then list it here, even if it was years ago.
For example, you may have attended a pain clinic or had a course of physiotherapy or had to have parenteral nutrition (tube feeding) in the past. It is also allowed to include undiagnosed problems that are currently being investigated. You should include all symptoms and the tests that are being done. Dates should also be provided for these.
gross1
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:59 pm

OMG WAIT UNTIL THEY SEE MY LIST, IT'S A DISASTER, 15 DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS, 4 CREAMS, 2 INHALERS, COUGH MIXTURE!
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby gross1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:59 pm

same here... list them all.. they want the info, give it to them lol.. be sure to tell them about side effects too as they HAVE to take them into account
gross1
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:12 am

I understood it was essentially about the effect it has on your life. So if you have multiple conditions ( :-o I know the feeling) list them all, but it's things like can you prepare a meal/dress yourself/walk/stand etc that they are assessing.

I want to put in for an increase as I could walk on crutches when I first started getting DLA. Now that PIP has replaced it can anyone tell me how to claim a higher rate of care? Due to one of my other conditions -severe osteoporosis- I have fractured my spine. I haven't been able to walk since 7 long months now, so I'm either bed bound or stuck in a wheelchair.
I cant get to grips with the online information. :roll: Fibrofog sets in badly.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby gross1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:58 pm

hi tally, do you know when your dla award is due to end? They are supposed to contact people 28 days before their dla award is due to end and invite them to claim PIP so I am wondering if it's worth 'holding out' until then.
Of course it depends on your circumstances but I suspect if you report a change of circumstances you will be assessed for PIP next time.
gross1
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 am

:( Yup. This is what I was worrying about.
Isn't it just certain postcodes that are transferring to PIP just now, the rest of us will be assessed in 2015. :-D At least that's what I understood by the govt.org webpage on DLA. I could be completely wrong of course!
I was thinking like you, wait until the PIP assessment and then submit my altered condition. But as I have to rely on Carers/people I employ (even someone to pick up dog poops, as well as dog walking......my dog is essential for my mental health!! :oops: ) and it's starting to cost more than my monthly income.
I don't want to start on my savings, they're there for real emergencies like adapting the house for disabled living, but as I live alone I really could do with an increase as I have to rely on Carers and that aint cheap.

It's so frustrating to be so useless isn't it? :evil:
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby gross1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 am

Hi.. it's so hard to know what to do isn't it? I am not due to be invited for PIP until 2015 as I am have an indefinite award. Even though I feel I should receive a higher award, I would like to hang onto my award as long as possible as I am worried I could lose what I have and not qualify for PIP. You need to think about it and decide for yourself, we each have different circumstances.

I think if you report a change of circumstances such as improvements/deterioration's they change you over to PIP. I am going on the following, perhaps others will know more.

From 28 October 2013
From 28 October 2013, reassessment of some existing DLA claimants will start in Wales, West Midlands, East Midlands or East Anglia.

The postcodes affected are: B, CF, CH1, CH4, CH5, CH6, CH7, CH8, CV, DE, DY, GL16, HR, IP, LD, LE, LL, LN, NG, NN, NP, NR, PE, SA, ST, SY, TF, WR, WS and WV

The DWP will start to invite the following current DLA recipients to claim PIP:

•those with fixed period DLA awards which expire on or after 17th March 2014;
•children turning 16;
• those with a reported change of circumstances which might affect their rate of payment, such as an improvement or deterioration in their condition, but not issues like going into a care home or hospital or changing address; and
•existing DLA claimants aged 16-64 who wish to make a PIP claim, including people who have a fixed-term or indefinite award of DLA.
gross1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am

Altho these are meant to be the time frames DWP are working to, in reality the system is in such a state of meltdown that things are taking much, much longer to work their way thru the system. It might be worth a call to the office which dealt with your previous claims to see if they can give you some sort of idea about how long things are taking in your respective areas. Altho it will still mean you're still having to wait, at least you might have more of an idea of how long your particular queue could be for a seat on the DLA/PIP bus :f1-car: :f1-car: :f1-car:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby E-Bunny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

I am currently still working 38 hrs per week, but my HR are pushing me to dramatically reduce my hours as they think that continuing to work full time is making my health worse :( work has been the only constant thing in my life, so hanging on as long as i can.

I am okay with most things, but struggling to do things like hoovering ( it cripples me ) and standing at the sink to wash dishes only lasts a few minutes before pain sets in :cry:

Gardening has become a no go, and walking up stairs has become exhausting and painful. On some days i cannot raise my arms, on a worst day i cannot bare to have anything touching my skin... It feels like i have been in the sun till i have become red raw, no one can touch me, even my clothes can become agonizing.

I am at work today, feeling as though a bus has hit me !! My boss is very sympathetic thank gawd, so he allows me to slow down on bad days..

Everyone wants me to reduce my hours, but to me that feels like i am giving up... I am scared of going out alone in fear of having a seizure or vertigo attack, so only leave the house to work. all other times i stay house bound ( and normally bed bound as all my energy is put into my job )

I had just completed an over the phone application when i first created this post, so now waiting for the paperwork to come through. i am not sure this is something i can do alone... I have lost all confidence, and not very good at "socializing & communicating" with new ppl. I would rather just stand in the corner of the room and bury my head in the sand.

Not exactly sure where i am going with this post... I think my head is somewhere else right now as the brain fog is kicking in... Oooo and i am going to have to stand up for the rest of the day as the tops of my legs are beginning to hurt like hell...

Tina x
E-Bunny
UKFM Member

Postby clairefish » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi all I'm so worried because I have a pip appointment next Tuesday, I am desperate for some help but I'm just so nervous about how it might go, just wondering if anyone had any help or tips to offer, thanks for reading, Claire
clairefish
UKFM Newbie

Postby dolphintara » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 pm

hi eve 1
just want to give you all an update , had letter from atos as I had to reclaim , they are going to write to my doctors etc etc , but which is good as my doctor has put me down unfit for work , so hopefully fingers cross
dolphintara
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits