Just had me ESA Stopped - What do I do

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just had me ESA Stopped - What do I do

Postby babymable » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Just received a letter through the door stating they have stopped my ESA claim from 2 days ago. I am devastated, my depression is through the roof and I can feel a flare up coming on. I will be appealing, I already called and they are sending the forms to me. I have all my medical records from the last 6 years as I had a bad feeling after my assessment so I requested them.

My question is is there any benefit I can receive until I my appeal has gone through. I don't receive ant other benefit and I simply cannot work. What will I do for money !
babymable
UKFM Member

Re: Just had me ESA Stopped - What do I do

Postby denys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Ring the job centre and explain what has happened, they may be able to help and also if you can contact CAB or DIAL or social services as they can help too with benefits
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby migrembe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

You don't say why they stopped it?
I hope you get it sorted quickly.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby bouncer0304 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm

At the top of this forum section is a topic called what to do if you fail your assessment. You can ask to be put on to assessment rate although they'll try and fob you off with JSA. They can't refuse to put you on it. In there it says step by step what to do. I'm waiting for my assessment result and i'm ready to receive a 0 considering that's what most are given sadly. Hope that helps and best of luck.
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:18 pm

I feel for you. Food banks are going to be a life line.
If you are not already there, so will the reduced section of your super markets, around 7pm.
It is very busy, our numbers are many.
I have no other advice, just letting you know i care.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby 0okelebeko0 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Phone them and tell them you are appealing. The moment you do that, they have to start paying you again. You will be paid as normal until the date of your appeal (mine took 5 months) even if your appeal fails, you do not have to pay back the money. So basically, everything just carries on exactly as it was before until your appeal date ☺
0okelebeko0
UKFM Newbie

Postby krysta » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:45 pm

When I went for an assessment I printed off lots of information about fibro and took it with me. Every time I received anything from ESA DLA or the council I sent the information to them over and over. I wanted to make sure they knew what fibro is and how it affects its sufferers. I highlighted the symptoms I had and the medication I was taking. I still do it now if anyone writes to me. I've had a really bad day today just slept on and off, the pain excruciating, but people dont see this, they just think your lazy! Go to CAB and talk to them and take print outs like I did.
krysta
UKFM Member

Postby suzieorangecat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:05 pm

You get on line to Direct gov and make a claim for JSA. Once you go for your interview at the Jobcentre plus the work coach that you see will be able to give you all the help you need. --- But do it as soon as possible. Good Luck. Oh by the way the staff are lovely.
suzieorangecat
UKFM Newbie

Postby JanetLeslie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi there babymable, I have been in the same situation. There could be several reasons why this has happened.

1) If you are on contribution based ESA it will stop automatically after 52 weeks and NO more benefit will be paid. Which takes you to No 2.
2) If you are married and your husband is working full time, this is classed as income.
3) If you are single and on income based ESA, there may be another reason and they will pay you some benefit but not sure what.
I hope this is of some help to you. :-| :-|
JanetLeslie
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 pm

babymable, we need to know why it was stopped rather than all of us trying to guess the reason :hugs:
Lindilou

Postby babymable » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I forgot to say earlier. I have been on ESA since May 2012 and I had my 2nd assessment interview in January and that's them just getting back to me now letting me know that I only scored 12 points and I have to have at least 15 in order to continue receiving ESA.
The assessors notes contradicted my scores tho and I know if I appeal I will be put back on I just need to know what the heck I am suppose to survive on until it's sorted.
I have contacted Citizens Advice earlier but they told me that another company has won the contract for my area and I need to call them instead ( I am in Northern Ireland) I left a message buy have not heard back from them.

I have called ESA and told them I am appealing and the man on the phone said he will send out the appeal forms ad I should send my current sick line back with them but he never mentioned anything about me still receiving my benefits until the appeal is over.
I also wrote a letter today asking for a copy of the Assessors notes that he wrote down during my interview so I will have that to go over.
And I was 1 step ahead and already requested my medical records from the last 5 years to back me up as well.

Thanks
babymable
UKFM Member

Postby gross1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:41 pm

hi.. not sure if things are different in NI so I don't want to steer you the wrong way.. normally you would have three choices from herein..

Sign on JSA with conditions due to your illnesses. I have heard of people being turned down for JSA as they claim the demands/conditions put on claimants may not be met due to our disabilities but when these changes came about, we were told we could claim JSA and our problems would be taken into account.. This would continue until they either overturn the decision or they let it stand when you would then go on to claim assessment rate.

If claiming middle rate or higher of DLA, I have heard you are entitled to claim Income Support.. please check this.

Or if you can manage without any monies (I know that's ridiculous) you could claim nothing apart from possibly hardship payments until you get a yes or no reply from the mandatory reconsideration.

Really not a lot more can be done, it's disgusting but that's how it is.. as I say, I am not sure about the rules in NI.
gross1
UKFM Member

Postby babymable » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm

A little update, I have finally gotten through to ESA and they have told me to send in my current sick line and appeal letter / forms and that I would be paid while going through the appeal process. They said since I have complied with everything they have asked that they would have to pay. The only reason they would not pay someone is if they missed a interview or did not send in information they have asked for.

I decided I am going to appeal the decision as I myself know that I cannot work. I will not let them get away with this. It makes me sick as I know there are people out there lying about illness to not have to work and then someone like myself who physically can't work gets kicked off. I could play up my illness and lie too but that;s not who I am. It's the lying idiots that makes it worse for people like us.

Anyway I know I will win the appeal as the accessor has contradicted himself in the notes and left out quite a few important bits of information that I gave him. (How typical). I will let you all know how I get on. I will also be applying for disability as well even if it the low rate as long as it's something.

Thank you all for your help
babymable
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am

They fail a lot of people in the hope that the said person will go away and stop bothering them with appeals.

Good luck with it all and when you get it back and they put you in the work group, appeal again.

Beverley
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby babymable » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks Beverley

I'm hoping they put me straight into support as I stressed that in my appeal letter, bit who knows what will happen !
babymable
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits