Could I apply for PIP....

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Could I apply for PIP....

Postby gabby71 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi all

I was diagnosed with fibro a few years ago after suffering with joint pain for almost 20 years - it got significantly worse over the last 3 years. I work full time and am a single mum to a wonderful 16 year old daughter, for the last 12 months or so she has been doing most of the housework as all I can manage after a days work is to fall asleep on the sofa...

She also helps me in and out of the bath, washes my hair, shaves my legs and underarms, helps me to dry myself and helps me to dress and undress as I have severely restricted movement in my shoulders and very poor grip and weakness.

She also helps me to cook - I cant open jars/tins, cant lift the kettle or saucepans (I have had 4 scalding accidents in the last year).
I refuse to let her help me with the toilet so I have a special wiper for anything other than having a wee...I wear incontinence pads at night as I iften wake up desperate for the loo and after being led down for hours sometimes dont make it in time..

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat - I am very lucky to also have a very understanding and supportive boss who is aware and has ensured that I have a special chair, wrist support etc to make my work life as comfy as possible...

I can walk reasonably well I.e. can manage to walk around a supermarket for around 45 mins using the trolley for light support but sometimes one of my ankles gives way and I fall - the last fall around 6 weeks ago resulted in me breaking my shoulder...

I am consudering applying for PIP but not sure if I would qualify as I am pretty mobile on the whole - would love to be able to pay for a cleaner once a week to give my daughter a break...

Any advice would be great,

thanks

Gab.x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
gabby71
UKFM Member

Re: Could I apply for PIP....

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:14 pm

As you had posted a 2nd identical topic to this one, I've removed one of them to save on the chaos and confusion that always follows when people start replying to both topics. We do ask members to make start just one topic on a particular subject as making multiple ones can be interpreted as spamming the forum.

PIP is paid on a similar basis to what DLA was, it has a Daily Living Component which is paid at either the standard or enhanced rate, depending on how your illnesses/conditions/disabilities affect your daily living ability. It also has the Mobility Component which again is paid at either the standard or enhanced rate, depending on how mobility is affected.

It is possible to be awarded just one component, such as the Daily Living Component, it all comes down to the info and evidence that is included with the claim form, how the "healthcare professional" interprets things when writing their report for the medical assessment that is carried out, and finally how the Decision Maker dealing with the claim interprets everything together.

For anyone considering making a claim for a benefit, we usually suggest that they contact a local support organisation, such as CAB, DIAL, Welfare Rights, for help and advice with the process as their advisers know the system and can help with the form~filling process in some cases.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby debs24 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi Gab
You can, and should apply for PIP. The only way to find out if you qualify is to make an application. From your description it sounds as if you would be eligible for the daily living component at least. If you are disallowed then you will know where you stand - although, if that happens, you should always ask for a reconsideration. Your claim would then be looked at by a different decision maker who may interpret your claim more favourably. It doesn't matter what health conditions you have, what does matter is how those health conditions affect your day to day quality of life. Good luck if you decide to claim.
Sending gentle hugs :goodluck2:
Debs
debs24
UKFM Newbie

Postby djclall » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Your daughter may also be able to claim carers allowance. Good luck with the PIP claim. If you feel you are entitled, go for it. You have nothing to lose. :-) . xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby gabby71 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Hiya, thanks for your replies, and apologies for the duplicate posts :/

As you say, I have nothing to lose so may as well apply.

My understanding of carers allowance is that my daughter could not get this as she is going into 6th form in September to study for her 'A' Levels - is this correct?

Thanks again.xx
gabby71
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:07 pm

You may find because you work that you won't qualify for PIP if you have been diagnosed with Fibro and nothing else, however i would apply anyway. Personally your daughter shouldn't be taking care of you the way that she is, what you need is a paid carer for personal needs, no matter how much your daughter loves you it's not fair on her. Sorry! beverley
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby gabby71 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Beverley - do you really think that I want my daughter to care for me? Please feel free to offer the alternatives....
gabby71
UKFM Member

Postby Tally1068 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Apply. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After being on Incapacity Benefit for years with other conditions, long term steroid use has finally caught up with me. The doctors told my Mother I'd have problems later on in life. Boy were they ever right. In the space of 3 months I was diagnosed with FM, glaucoma, macular degeneration ( the eyesight deterioration scares me witless :cry: as I live on my own, hundreds of miles from any family) COPD -Obviously my immune system and I are sworn enemies :-P and shortly before Christmas my severe osteoporosis has resulted in a fractured spine.

I haven't walked for 7 months and spend most of my time in bed as it's the only way the pain eases. (I applied for DLA which has been replaced by PIP before the fracture which has had a huge impact on my quality and capability of living)

After the horrors of the IB medical I was reluctant to claim DLA, but the huge disparegy between a State Pension -even if it was a full one made it essential.

To my huge surprise and with no medical, I was amazed to be awarded the highest level of the motability allowance and a low level of care.

Obviously now I can hardly do anything for myself I'm going to put in a claim for the higher level of care. I have a brilliant care package, but though I've repeatedly asked when I have to start contributing to it ( I was told 6 weeks then I'd be reassessed) and knowing my income/savings are too high not to be able to have to contribute, I have been reassured that there is a long back log in our County and I wont be hit with a huge bill at a later day.

But 7 months of free Care has helped tremendously. Buying things like stair lifts/wheelchairs/ramps/grab rails and an adjustable bed and recliner all add up to a huge amount of money. I know others have family to help them, but it's frightening.

So sorry about my long winded reply, but GO or it. Like me you may be astonished and receive more than you thought. All the best. :-D
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
Tally1068
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm

The GOV.UK pages for PIP state that
You can get PIP whether you’re in work or not.

Also, it says that other help may be available if a PIP claim is successful
You might not have to pay some or all of your vehicle tax if you qualify for vehicle tax exemption or a 50% reduction.

You or your carer might also qualify for other financial help - eg Carer’s Allowance, or help with housing or transport costs.

gabby71 wrote:My understanding of carers allowance is that my daughter could not get this as she is going into 6th form in September to study for her 'A' Levels - is this correct?

According to pages relating to Carer's Allowance if the Carer is
not in full time education or studying for more than 21 hours a week

And cares for someone for more than 35 hours per week, plus the person they care for is in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component, then they could be eligible to claim Carer's Allowance. For your daughter to be eligible to claim Carer's Allowance, it would depend on the the outcome of you making a claim for PIP as well as the number of hours she would be studying each week.

Hope this makes a bit of sense, I'm just back from being walked by the :dogrun1: and am slightly away with the fairy_dust
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby gabby71 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Tally - so sorry to hear that you are struggling alone, it must be tough...glad that the extra coming in has made life easier for you

Fluppypuffy - thanks for the info, my daughter probably wouldn't qualify if this is the criteria but best thing I can do is apply for the PIP and see where we go from there

thanks for your help

Gab.xx
gabby71
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Gabby71,
Your situation and history are almost identical to mine, except i was made redundant march 2013 as a result of becoming unable to do my job or even turn up for work after 5 years of solid good attendance.
I applied for DLA in March 2013, this was turned down and due to my extremely helpless state i was unable to appeal or remember to do anything until April 2014. In April 2014 i applied for PIP. I am waiting the 26 weeks for them to process my application, as they informed me when they texted me back the acknowledgement.
So apply, include every aspect of your condition, no matter how small. (not being able to bend down to take things out of the oven, or stand up in the shower, etc.
Do not delay any longer it takes a long time to process.
Good luck
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby gabby71 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks morette5 - fingers crossed for you :)
gabby71
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits