Informing DLA and ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Informing DLA and ESA

Postby Flippy22 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:59 pm

I would love some advice. I already get ESA and DLA low rates for other issues but now have a diagnosis of fibro and have been really suffering about 18 months. I have been advised by welfare rights not to bother informing DWP as I am in the support group already and that DLA will make me apply for pip. I am uneasy with not telling them and wonder what others think. Also, with the pip backlog being as it is, I wonder if they might leave me on DLA. I would be really grateful for all thoughts on this dilemma.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Re: Informing DLA and ESA

Postby padders » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:43 pm

I would say it is up to you, but if you have to make a new claim it will be for pip, even though there is a backlog.
When does your claim for DLA run out?
Your ESA is fine you don't have to tell them as you are getting your money for this and as you say you are in the support group already.
You don't have to tell DLA unless you want to try and get a higher rate but like I said you would have to claim PIP. They will keep you on your lower rate DLA while your claim is going through.
Lisa
padders
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:53 pm

As it is supposed to be on how your conditions affect your every day life and if this is worsened then you should probably claim for a higher rate DLA/PIP you will still continue to get your money as it now until they decide.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Flippy22 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I quite agree with you both as I am claiming for mental health issues but now have the physical issues which mean my cares needs have become evn greater as have my mobility needs. My DLA award currently is until 2019
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby jinglis » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi.
I'm in very similar position. On ESA and low rate care award for DLA and was very unsure whether reapplying would make things better or worse. Current award for issues relating to a stroke I suffered 5 yrs ago.
Award notice clearly states that you should tell them of any changes in your condition. Like you I was worried about PIP changes etc but decided I needed to let them know.
I sat and wrote them a letter confirming my recent diagnosis and detailing changes in both care and mobility needs. Within a couple of days I received a new application pack DLA, looking again at a claim. So more forms but relieved no mention of PIP, although unsure if that's related to where you live. Good luck Julie x
jinglis
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindenp » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 pm

I don't think you need to tell them unless you want to make a claim for the higher rates. I think they really want to know if your conditions become better so they can pay you less. If you are significantly worse and want to claim for the higher rates then go ahead and make a new claim. Otherwise I would leave things as they are. I always take my forms to the welfare rights team and they take all the hassle out of it. They know how to express things the best way to get the best possible assistance for you. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do and how you get on if you make a new claim.

Gentle hugs
Linden
Lindenp
UKFM Member

Postby keaedmondson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:04 pm

It's very interesting to see this thread come up as I was only thinking about this very topic for my own personal situation about two hours ago. I was waiting for my change over to pick to come through and then I was going to report it as I probably won't be entitled to any extra money despite the fibromyalgia diagnosis. But the longer I waited more I was worrying that having had my diagnosis for three years would make the Dwp think twice and also… Sorry, totally forgotten the also… The reason it was in my head was that I had a meeting with access to work yesterday. Again I deal with them because of my other disability but I had decided that finally I needed their support because of FM. They were amazing, so far, and I wanted taxis to get to and from work rather than relying on public transport. I had heard that they were quite keen to do this despite the economic climate, but I still thought, because I know how DWP think, that they would refuse me. Having said that, they said yes straight away without me having to do any persuasion or anything and that is apparently to do with the rate of DLA I'm already on. I wish I'd known that two years ago! I've put it off and put it off and put it off and I didn't need to! maybe I should take my own advice as above… LOL
keaedmondson
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Glad you got some bits sorted, it can be very daunting contacting the DWP but sometimes its worth it :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits