Moving in with partner

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Moving in with partner

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 am

Righty, I met my partner 2 years ago, we are now engaged :-D I was living in Conwy and he in Powys. This July (1st) I emptied my flat and moved in with him, told the DWP as one dare not, not tell the DWP. My flat is mine, I own it. His house is owned, he owns it.

So we tell the DWP etc. Now they may be declaring my flat as income, I've NO income from it, it's up for sale, what does the DWP expect - me to buy food with a brick or a window or a carpet ???? There are no contact details for this dept of the DWP, we are still awaiting a decision ! :shock: :roll:

ps my partner had to leave his job due to stress, he was added to my claim but although we are allegedgely entitled to ESA with me already being on ESA they cant or wont pay us until the issue with my flat has been decided. Seems they have no definite time range in which they have to make this decision either. Shall pay the gas bill with the washing machine ?

We are an hour and a half away from the flat, IF we were nearer I'd rent it but not being the distance away that we are.
Lindilou

Re: Moving in with partner

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:05 am

From my knowledge...

Its when the flat has been sold is when you will get a lump sum of money which you declare and will be assessed by DWP. If its more then £5,000 then you cannot claim and will have to live off the sale of the flat then re apply when you get down passed the £5,000.

I would send in details of the sale to prove its not been sold yet and bank statements of nil income as proof of no money also.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks Lisa, they already have all the info on the flat. They have a copy of the estate agents fyler advertising my flat, they have bank statements - the lot.
Lindilou

Postby denys » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Bit of a loss as to what to suggest then, try CAB or DIAL get some proper professional advice and hopefully they can sort out the whole sorry mess for you because you seem to be between a rock and a hard place :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:25 pm

The DWP letter to me says they can pay us from 1st July BUT nothing will happen until this with the flat is sorted until then no one will authorise it. Will look up DIAL's no denys. On top of all this I've got a kidney infection and possibly a kidney stone :cry:
Lindilou

Postby *Lisa* » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:01 pm

I would call up any DWP number you have (should be one on any letters you have) and ask them to forward you onto the right department and tell them you need a decision NOW! you have nothing to live on, you have given in proof of nil income etc...

Keep on there tail every day!

Also ask if they can give you any emergancy money until its sorted out
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm

As far as I have read the value of an owned property is discounted from being counted for 26 weeks as long as it is up for sale. And can be extended past 26 weeks under certain circumstances. So something doesn't seem right .

To check this you could try posting on the Benefits section of the MSE forum as they seem to have people who work within the DWP who offer advice on there. They might be able to point you in the right direction of how to get this sorted.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks zappa, I will
Lindilou

Postby Lindilou » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:59 pm

*Lisa* wrote:I would call up any DWP number you have (should be one on any letters you have) and ask them to forward you onto the right department and tell them you need a decision NOW! you have nothing to live on, you have given in proof of nil income etc...

Keep on there tail every day!

Also ask if they can give you any emergancy money until its sorted out

We do keep ringing them but not every day, it's a pain and it costs too, ok only charged at local rate, then you spend at least half an hour waiting. Last time I rang I explained that I need to pay bill and what do I do. I was told "there is nothing you can do" I shall be asking for emergency money, thanks Lisa.
Lindilou

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits