PIPs success!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIPs success!

Postby Hannah24 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to post my recent success with the PIPs in the hope of providing some light at the end of the long dark tunnel for others applying.
I was awarded the enhanced rate both for mobility and care without the need of an appeal. As you can imagine it is a huge relief and I am delighted. I know that it can be a battle and feel extremely lucky that I have avoided this ordeal.
It's rare these days to have good news and I hope that I am not the last.
If anyone on here is applying for PIPs and is apprehensive about the whole process, it would be nice if my news may add some optimism and hope to anyone else out there.
Good luck! x
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Re: PIPs success!

Postby rich44 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Congratulations, well done
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Aww congratulations Hannah!!good for you. I bet that is a great feeling. Can I ask if you work also?

I work part time I'm only 27 and have waited 15 months. After 2 assessments, disallowment, mandatory reconsideration disallowment and now at appeal stage I am at the end of my tether. I cannot live off my part time wage alone and lost my fulltime job due to my illness and constant sick leave. I now have my local MP and a solicitor on the case so fingers crossed.

Would be great to know your circumstances (in a non nosey capacity hehe) and also how long it took for the whole process.

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby Librarychick » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 pm

Brilliant, am so pleased for you. I'm still waiting for my interview. Applied in January so getting a bt fed up. It's so good when you hear others have got through the system! Well done you. :lol: :-D
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby Denbev » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi all, I've just had my assessment +was amazed at how quick the process took as I had heard people say they had been waiting 12 mths plus but to my disappointment I've just received a letter to say I've been turned down so I'm so fed up+let down as I'm now having to sell my business due to my illness,can anyone advise how I go about appealing as at the min I have bad Fibro fog+struggling to get my head around even understanding the letter. :yikes: :yikes:
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 pm

Fabulous news. I've just started the process. I got turned down for DLA and appealed but to no avail so I'm very apprehensive about applying.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby carishasafia » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 pm

well done its about time our illness is recognised as a disability... :roll:
carishasafia
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hannah24 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi Cocobella,

I do work part time although like you, I too am off sick a lot. I had to reduce my hours from full time and the way things are going I'm not sure how long I will be able to continue work for. I think it actually helped during the assessment as she seemed please that I was trying to work. There is such a stigma surrounding benefits that when 'genuine' people apply for benefits (working or not) we are all painted with the same brush. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

It took me a year from the phonecall to the decision. I've finally been able to fill the hole in my overdraft (due to costs with disability) with the back payment. Hopefully the payments now can help me towards my independence, slightly make up for the cost of having to go part time and if need be support me if I have to stop work altogether.

When applying I was given some advice from on here and I would recommend it to anyone in our position appyling for PIPs. Ask for a home assessment. It can help reduce anxiety and reinforces the difficulties someone with fibromyalgia has attending appointments. From my own experience do the research and collect any evidence you can and send it off to them. For instance, when I applied for my blue badge I needed a letter from my gp which I copied and sent. When it says in black and white from a GP that I can only walk a few yards without help, they can't really argue it.

I knew that if I had not been successful I would have gone straight to CAB for assistance to appeal. They also helped me fill out the initial questionnaire.

Hope you all get a succesful outcome - keep fighting! xx
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby doctoria71 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Hannah, I am like you, I also worked full time, but to keep my job due to recurring sickness I had to go part time. Also like you I now live in my over draft as my wage barely pays the bills. I attempt to work as an LSA, and use a crutch,to support me walking, wear wrist splints given by GP. When I am out with hubby and daughter I use a secondhand electric wheelchair, otherwise I would be couped up all weekend. I struggle to drive our manual car as it causes me to much pain and discomfort.
I applied for PIP in May last year, yes 2013. Had a crap assessment in the July which was all lies, my mam took me and my daughter came in with me. I cried when I got the refusal in November as everything the guy wrote was lies. Asked for a reassessment which I got via telephone in January. In March got refused again, then applied with help,of CAB to be reassessed. I have my appeal in the courts in September. Really would appreciate if you could email me (PLEASE CONTACT POSTER VIA PM FOR EMAIL ADDRESS) to see if you would advise me of what I can expect.
HUGE WELL DONE, BET YOU FEEL ASTHOUGH A WIEGHT HAS BEEN LIFTED.
Victoria
Last edited by *Lisa* on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removal of email address
doctoria71
UKFM Member

Postby marie marrison » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm

I am so pleased for you I was rewarded disability through the old system but I am still waiting for the new system x :-o
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Lovely news its great to hear of the success stories as well as the not so good so well done and thanks for sharing :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Graciebaby » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05 pm

It's very encouraging to hear that Fibro is recognised as an illness that causes real disability and that benefits are awarded accordingly.
It's about time!

Congratulations and enjoy the peace of mind that your award brings :-D

Let us hope that others with fibro can also qualify for PIP in the future.

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits