blue badge if not on benefits?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

blue badge if not on benefits?

Postby dazzleship » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:22 pm

hi all

I can't believe I'm at the stage where I'm even asking this question - but I'm just wondering what the sitaution is with blue badges for parking if you don't claim any benefits.

I work full time so don't claim any disability benefits.. but as far as I understand you can only get a parking badge if you claim this - am I correct?

lately its getting so hard. everywhere we go we have to park well away from the building cos we have to make sure I can get back in the car afterwards (need the doors to open wide so I can get in and out and get my crutches in and out)

so if we park closer we invariably find people are parked next to us when we get back, then I have to stand there (with increasing pain - I don't do standing still very well) whilst hubby moves the car out of the space so I can get in. and then hold people up while I put my crutches in the back seat and get into the car.

not to mention the sheer exhaustion which often lately means that I'm 'done in' by the time I even get to the building. it's really having an affect on my ability to enjoy days out (not to mention shopping of course).

anyway, I don't know what to do. hate the fact that I'm even thinking in terms of 'yellow parking spaces' at this stage in my life.

I even find myself looking at people who are parked in the blue badge spaces and who get out of their cars quicker than I ever could, and finding myself feeling a wee bit envious of them, which I know must sound like an awful thing to say :(

so anyway.. just looking for advice really :-?
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Re: blue badge if not on benefits?

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm

It's very individual. Fm affects us all different and varies so much. I applied for a blue badge for when I really need it (I don't need it all the time) but I was turned down straight away. I might try again in time but generally, if I'm suffering with my legs or feet, I don't go out amd about x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby lindsayfieldman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm

My brother inlaw doesn't claim benifits and works has a blue badge I also have just applyed for one and work as well but struggle when parked away from were am going for space as you they say other cars park very close
lindsayfieldman
UKFM Newbie

Postby Miichelle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:45 pm

I put in a claim for PIP months ago but not heard anything, so currently not claiming any benefits.

I was awarded a Blue Badge a few months ago :)
Miichelle
UKFM Member

Postby steve_728 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:47 pm

You don't need to be on benefits to have a blue badge, you automatically qualify if you get the high rate of either mobility or care.
The criteria is how far you can walk without being in pain. When filling in the application form describe your mobility as though it were the worst of days. If not on benefit you mat well need to see someone from your Local Authority for an assessment of your needs.
Claiming DLA or PIP as it is now is exactly the same, always say how it is on the bad days.
I got my blue badge before I got my DLA award. You will to list the drugs you are taking and give details of any Consultants that you see also.
Hope this was helpful.
steve_728
UKFM Newbie

Postby jampot1969 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Hello I work full time claim no benefits and have had a blue badge for 5 years.
jampot1969
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:55 pm

My local authority recently changed the criteria for a blue badge and required a hospital letter or high rate mobility benefit. As I had neither i thought I wouldn't qualify so never applied. A few months ago I was at my local benefits help centre as I was due to go onto contribution based ESA and I mentioned the fact that I felt I didn't qualify but the advisor said I should apply anyway.

I applied and had to go for an assessment which was all about how I walked and how far I could walk as well as some details about medications and how my fibro affected me. Needless to say I was delighted when I was awarded a blue badge for 3 years. It has made such a huge difference to the places I can go so I would apply and see what happens.
Lindar
UKFM Newbie

Postby robbiecramp » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 pm

As far as I am aware you can get on automatically if your on high rate mobility DLA or enhanced rate mobility PIP but if not getting any of those and are struggling to walk a short distance now is the time to contact your local authority or go on there webpage and have a look.

Most local authorities are the same a few are different you download the application form fill it in and you can attach evidence to it and if your awarded it Derbyshire County Council charge £10 if you qualify.

It goes on what you put on your form I recently went into the Tourist Information to ask about RADAR keys and the guy behind the counter did not look up as he was in middle of writing something but did say yes can I help you so I asked where I could get a RADAR key from he said we do not have them here and then when he glanced up he saw a very knackered Robbie on crutches holding o0nto his desk before he fell over I had a chair brought to me he got a box out got a form out he took my free bus pass as it had a photo on and filled form in for me asked me to sign it and gave me a key.

It goes on what the people who look at your form can visualise in their minds does this person really need one
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:11 pm

I'm going to give it another go I think as my daughter mentioned this this morning and now this post. Will let you know how it goes x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 pm

I asked about this recently..cannot claim a blue badge unless claiming dla, pip, esa,jsa,,etc...well certainly not in scotland!
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Nearly half way through application and site kicked me out. Not trying again. Grrr. Dont have the mental energy for this.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby marie marrison » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:56 pm

Blue badge is given only on medical record therefore if you fill the questionnaire with medical proof you should get it xx
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Saw this the other day going thru mil motability to help choose her next car (fiat 500L 7 seat semi-auto) and because of all the changes there's no nationally recognised way of qualifying for a blue badge anymore so basically every council are free to do as they please, it's also affected by tax discs being scrapped on 1st Oct
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby pennysparkles » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't have high rate mobility but had my assessment with Coventry council two weeks ago and got approved for a blue badge yesterday I am SO relieved this will make a huge difference to me, as I lost my job due to Fibromyalgia and am trying to retrain at warwick uni, now I won't be exhausted walking from the car park
pennysparkles
UKFM Newbie

Postby Zia2014 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:25 pm

I had no idea you could get a blue badge without being on benefit! It would help me so much, I parked really far away from the shop yesterday to make sure I could get on too (in fact I did my back/neck in last year by clambering in from the passenger side). Might have a think about applying. I just know I'll feel a sham if I get out and walk without crutches though!
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits