Working benifits

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Working benifits

Postby Sairbear74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi all, very new to this site and newly diagnosed.
I was just wondering if anyone knows what/if there are any benifits you can claim. I work 18 house a week as I can physically work no more. We get tax and child tax credits (not a huge amount) and some housing benifit.
Is there any other thing I should/can claim? We are struggling massively as a family due to my reduced hours,
Any advice or help would be gratefully appreciated
Sairbear74
UKFM Newbie

Re: Working benifits

Postby Treece » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi, have you applied for PIP, if I was you, personally I would get advice from CAB. Sorry I can;t help more, Treece
Treece
UKFM Member

Postby Sairbear74 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm

Thank you, can you tell me what PIP is? Would I still qualify if I'm working ?
Thanks sara
Sairbear74
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Put your information into this website and it'll tell you what you ought to be getting.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm

You can do a self test on pip before applying here

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/person ... -self-test

Pip is DLA anyone can claim working or not, you have to meet strict disability criteria to claim and even then most have to appeal. It's a long process at the moment and you'll probably have to have an assessment.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Beth1012 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Sairbear74 wrote:Hi all, very new to this site and newly diagnosed.
I was just wondering if anyone knows what/if there are any benifits you can claim. I work 18 house a week as I can physically work no more. We get tax and child tax credits (not a huge amount) and some housing benifit.
Is there any other thing I should/can claim? We are struggling massively as a family due to my reduced hours,
Any advice or help would be gratefully appreciated

Hello There :wave:

PIP does seem to open so many more options, sadly.
I struggled financially for a long time, reducing my working hours because I physically couldn't work full time any more and I got no help at all. Then, I was one of the lucky ones. After an 8 month hard fight I was awarded PIP; enhanced rate care element and low rate mobility. Because I get that am now entitled to Disabled Persons Working Tax Credit.............you have to work a minimum of 16 hours per week. Then when you get tax credits you may get council tax & housing benefit.

As already suggested use the Benefit Checker websites...............it's where I learnt I could claim tax credits.

Don't be fooled that it's all an easy process, it isn't, but PIP seems to be the magic key.

Good luck

Love & Light

fairy_dust

"Most Days I'm Only As Strong As The Coffee I Drink and The Hairspray I Use!!?" :)
Beth1012
UKFM Member

Postby little joe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi sairbear74
I am also knew on here and am in the process of trying to find out what benefits I could be entitled to. I am currently working 20 hours, but am off sick at the moment due to the fm. I just about coped with working these hours, though some days were unbearable :cry: and I could only get threw my shift loaded with caffeine and painkillers. Problem was when they wore off I would end up with a severe migraine. so when I got home all I could do was sleep :sleep: I wasn't getting anything done in the house and it was all getting to much.

Next year things will change for me regarding the amount of hours I will need to work in order to receive working tax credit. there must be some help for people like us with illness who want to work :-? I don't know about you but I feel much better mentally when I work, but I know I wont physically be able to do any more hours. I am going to do some digging, I will let you know if I find anything out.
take care

Joe
Care & Respect
Joe
little joe
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi

There's a calculator here for working out what you're entitled to

www.entitledto.co.uk

That'll help figuring out what any changes may or may not do.

As for the hours for working tax credits when I was out of work previously we qualified still because my wife is self employed, even though she didn't have any work on you can include anything you do to try and find work etc so as long as you're doing that you still get your tax credits.

It's a bit cheeky but it's within the rules however I wouldn't suggest it for everyone. If you have a skill that you can use becoming self employed makes life easier in some regards but also harder in others.
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits