Need help - Benefits

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Need help - Benefits

Postby happygolucky_xx » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:50 am

Hey guys. I've been on esa for about 6 months now. I've just been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia depression/anxiety and IBS by my GP. I'm under threat from losing my 12 hr a week job (I'm a single parent with hardly any help from his father), I am unable to return at the moment as I am not in the right state of mind. I'm too exhausted and just some days I struggle to get out of bed. My boyfriend has just recently moved in with me and my little boy and works full time. Am I entitled to anything with him working? I'm confused and worried they will expect me to live off my boyfriend as well as pay rent/bills and things for my boy. Really worried. I need to be able to provide a roof over our heads for my son.

Dee ❤
happygolucky_xx
UKFM Newbie

Re: Need help - Benefits

Postby magpieblue » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 am

I can only give you the bad news that when I ran out of statuary sick pay in 2011 and applied for ESA i was refused any benefits because I lived with my girlfriend who was a full time PHD student "earning" £13000 per year.The benefits office decided that we needed £105 per week to live and her stipend took us above that!
You may be able to still get housing benefit if your boyfriends income is low enough.
I am sure somebody with more knowledge of the current system will come along and give you the correct information....I am just letting you know of my own experience.
Good luck

Regards
Ray.x
magpieblue
UKFM Newbie

Postby Moobaloo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 am

If your bf works more than 20hrs a week, regardless of how much he earns, you won't qualify for means-tested ESA ('income related ESA'), BUT if you've paid enough national insurance contributions in the last couple of years you should qualify for 'contribution based ESA'.

You would only be entitled to contribution based ESA for 12 months, UNLESS you're in the 'support group' rather than the 'work related activity group' (WRAG). Check your award to see which group you've been placed in.

You may also be entitled to PIP (which has replaced DLA), so if you haven't already claimed do it ASAP. You can claim whether you're working or not.

Depending on your bf's earnings you may possibly be entitled to help with council tax & housing costs. Try looking for a 'benefits calculator' online, I think there's one on the Turn2Us website...should be really helpful in giving you a good idea of everything you're entitled to.

Hope this helps a little bit!

M x
Moobaloo
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:44 am

Get all his income details together and bang them in here to see exactly what you are entitled to.

www.entitledto.co.uk
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 am

Support organisations, like Citizens Advice, Welfare Rights, tend to have have advisers who know the benefits system, and they can go thru your personal situation and give you advice specific to how things are for you and what you could be entitled to claim. They can sometimes help with the form filling process too, which can help as they are familiar with how to phrase answers in relation to the question being asked, which can/may give you a better chance of things going thru the system as smoothly as possible.

As well as the groups known across the country, some areas have small, local, independant organisations that offer similar sorts of help and advice, so have a bit of a looky to see who is in your area. As well as asking Mr Googley, local councils can have details of who is in the area, so contacting them might be something to consider doing.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 pm

If you're in social housing they usually have their own advisors too
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Pandaspot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 am

You should be able to claim hb and Ctr, have a look on http://www.entitledto.co.uk put in you and your bf income and it will give you a basic idea :)

I am a hb and Ctr assessor so if you need any help then get in touch :)
Pandaspot
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits