QUESTION ABOUT PIP

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

QUESTION ABOUT PIP

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi all,
can anyone advice me please. I have just requested to have a PIP form sent out to me as a friend suggested I could possibly claim this benefit.

My question is, does anyone receive PIP and still work? I ask this because I still work but still struggle quite a lot, and seem to be struggling more and more these days and not sure if I can continue with work anymore. I am currently suffering with a big flare up (second in a year ) and am currently using two sticks or long distances need a wheelchair. When I 'm not in flare up I can walk without sticks but long distances cannot walk a long way and may still need a stick for support. fatigue is also a major factor and never seem to be free from it, constantly trying to fight it.

I'm not sure if PIP is the route for me. I've not claimed for benefits before so it's all new to me.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with my dilemma and give me feedback as to whether I should continue with my claim.

Sorry if it's a bit vague, having a bit of trouble concentration.

Many Thanks for your interest and support

Allyxx
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Re: QUESTION ABOUT PIP

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Lots of people do work & claim pip it's not means tested do providing you meet the criteria.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

PIP is the replacement for DLA, and is to help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64. It is paid based on how you are affected by your condition, rather than for the condition itself. It can be claimed by someone in work or unable to work.

For completing the forms that they will be sending out to you, getting help from a support organisation such as CAB, DIAL, Welfare Rights, can be beneficial.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby marie marrison » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 pm

hi I am just going for my medical in two days for my pip, I have been on the old reform for the last 3 years, but I had to stop working and been retired has I couldn`t assumed my duties as the deputy manager , :cry:
marie marrison
UKFM Member

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks for your your replies. They are helpful.

I guess my issue is that because I'm not as bad as I am now, all year round, I feel that I wouldn't be entitled to anything. I'm never out of pain but I do always feel extremely tired and that definitely plays a big part when I'm working. :(
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 pm

When assessing and making decisions about a claim, the fact that a condition can fluctuate is said to be taken into consideration. You do need to clearly state and explain how things can fluctuate for you, which is one of the factors why seeking help with completing the form can be beneficial, advisers know the system and know how to phrase things to explain what things are like for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Junewill2 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:47 pm

I can't guarantee how accurate it is but I have recently been told by some one who has been turned down for P.I.P that they don't recognise FB ? I thought all this type of thinking had now stopped and that FB is now acknowledge as a legitimate condition and not just something we all dream up ?Will be interesting to read what happens to new claimants.
Junewill2
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Junewill2 wrote:I can't guarantee how accurate it is but I have recently been told by some one who has been turned down for P.I.P that they don't recognise FB ? I thought all this type of thinking had now stopped and that FB is now acknowledge as a legitimate condition and not just something we all dream up ?Will be interesting to read what happens to new claimants.

PIP, like DLA was, is paid based on how the claimant is affected by whatever illnesses/conditions/disabilities they have rather than because they have a particular illness/health issue. FM is acknowledged as a genuine condition, and when assessing someone's claim, the fact that it fluctuates also has to be considered too.

We have had a few posts recently where PIP has been awarded, so some claims involving FM are going thru successfully.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

For pip the illness itself is largely irrelevant, they're assessing you on your ability get about & look after yourself based on your answers on the form and possible medical
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby a.lyndon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks for your replies peeps. Your input has been very usefull.

Ally :-)
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:03 am

PIP allows for fluctuations and in some ways is less rigid and more flexible than the previous DLA. If you can't do something more than 50% of the time then you should be eligible if you fit the rest of the descriptor. But it's important that you make that very clear on your form by explaining it, possibly using examples from your daily life.

When filling out the form, you have to try to give the person reading it a picture of how your condition affects the descriptor activity you think you fit, as they don't know you. Because it's not the illness or condition which is ioratnt but how it affects your mobility or cause you to have care needs with personal tasks and cooking etc.

It's best to get professional help from an advisor to fill in these forms and also be able to get any copies of medical letters or reports which confirm and support your claim. Once you phone for the form I believe you only have a month to return it, so bear that in mind. Good luck.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits