When to claim?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

When to claim?

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi everyone,
I've had fibro for 5 years now and you all know the story about how it affects us so I shan't bore you. What I want to know is how do you know when it's time to claim? I've been thinking recently about perhaps applying for PIP but I just feel so guilty. I know I'm probably not as bad as some of you and there are people out there with worse conditions and disabilities but it does affect my life dramatically and I just dont know what to do.
I'm worried that if they ask for a medical then they'll be poking me left right and centre and I don't know if it's worth risking the pain and aggravation. Do many of you claim this and win? What made you claim?

Gentle hugs xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: When to claim?

Postby rich44 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Butterfly

I know exactly what you mean, I started a thread recently about feeling guilty regarding my kids and not doing the things I feel I ought to and being sick off work and whether to claim pip

Have a run through the questions here and see how you score it may help you decide whether to claim or not.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/person ... -self-test

The medicals are by and large not really medicals in so far as they usually don't physically examine you it's usually asking a set of questions and maybe asking you to do something like stand up and touch your nose, pick up an empty cardboard box stupid things like that.

Theyve also asked stupid questions like do you have a pet (in which case you lose points because if you can look after an animal you're fit & healthy, obviously)

It's a fairly long process if you apply now it'll be months before you get an appt for a "medical".

There are plenty of places like welfare rights advisors at your local council, CAB etc who can help you fill the form in and help with any reconsideration and appeals if necessary.

Treat it like a cruise and look at the journey to the next stop en route rather than thinking you're going to be at sea for 2 weeks to get from A to B otherwise it'll put you off claiming it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Hellyn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Hello,
If it is impacting on the quality of life then yes apply.
The 'medical' more an interview and take someone with you who knows what your like on your worst days, they can talk for you when you aren't able too to support and demonstrate how much help you need to function or not if you know what I mean.

Get as much medical evidence and support you can muster, keep a diary of your day which you can show them what a day is for you. The more evidence you can show how difficult life is for you, how pain limits daily activities, things you can't do the better. People chopping veg for you, special kitchen tools to help you, stool cause you can't stand, etc...showing where you have had to adapt or been aided to just do what is taken for granted.

And remember...always always be at your worst day, don't be chipper and appear well and try to jolly it all along, just be you on a bad day. So many people go unprepared, not enough evidence, and try to show how well presented they can be i.e dressing up, makeup, all admirable but this is a different scenario. You are there to show these people that on your bad days you don't bother, can't bother and have trouble just having a shower which ends up in you having to have a rest afterwards as it takes so much effort to do so.

Understand what I am trying to get at?

Don't take yourself to the appt, get dropped off at the door, take a supportive person with you, use your sticks, no makeup, no going out clothes, etc.....get referred to the pain clinic etc....it sounds like a game and it is. But you must show how much it affects you.

It is a journey, but one who succeeded in getting ESA support group for 3 years it has made all the difference to the quality of my life and my family. There is a lot of advice and support out there...and if you have a pets....so what...the family walk them or you have a memory lapse and forget you do.....lol

all the best in whatever you choose to do...
bless. 8-)
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi,

Some people have to really fight for it but occassionally you get a good and fair assessor and end up with a successful outcome.
I was lucky and got it! The process however took a year, but you do get backdated money from the date you start the claim.

CAB came out to help me with the form. I highly recommend this as they were really helpful and took a lot of stress out of it for me.

I also got a home assessment as I couldn't make it to the venue. You have every right to ask for this if it is a real problem for you but it may slow the claim down. Although I would like to say they are 'fair', they have been known to use the fact that if you can get to the venue, as a way of saying you don't fit the criteria. Even if you get a someone to help you, use aids, etc...

I never got asked if I own a pet. If they had of asked then I would be pissed. This isn't really any of their business, as who are they to say how you manage your life. I have two dogs - one of which is a puppy. My husband and children help to look after them - so how does it have anything to do with my disability? There are some ignorant assessors out there. That's like them judging you for going to work, or doing anything else which might be considered living a 'normal' and 'independent' life and they have no right to do this. What about if you have kids? I would use this against them in the appeal if you were unsuccessful.

I did also research what they look for and how it relates to me. This also made me consider what I personally thought I should receive should I have had to go to appeal. If you are unsuccessful then you can appeal and CAB are on hand to help. They offered this to me when they came out for my assessment.

I hope if you do decide to apply that you have a successful outcome. Good luck x
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits