Recently had my PIP medical assessment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Recently had my PIP medical assessment

Postby Kelly a » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 pm

I have suffered with fm for a long time but only diagnosed nearly 3 years ago along with this i also have depression and panick disorder and severe anxiety. I hardly leave my home due to not being able to control my bowels.
I am on many different medications from anti depressants / muscle relaxants / beta blockers to name a few
I won't go into detail with the ins and outs of my fm as I'm sure everyone here is aware if the daily pains and battles we all suffer!!

I have a young family and no longer work due to my health but are struggling on the cash we do get from my husbands job and some monts I don't even have over £40 to pay for my prescriptions so was told by my doctor to apply for pip

I applied in February and received a letter to attend a medical assessment with atos a 2 hour drive from my home! It wast possible so rearranged and attended nearer to home on Tuesday
I was so scared and had major anxiety attacks but to be honest I dd get myself worked up thinking it would be bad after all the horror stories I've seen online, I was seen nearly half hour late by a lovely lady who did make me feel at ease after seeing te state I was in

Everything did seen to be going well and I managed to get across my daily struggles and explain how I'm affected
After the medical which lasted nearly a hour I was given a memory test I'm unsure why really
At the end she said I would hear back in around 4 weeks on a decision

Now I was thinking it all went well until I got home and I was told they all do that to make you feel at ease when really they don't even give you a fair assessment and it's unlikely I would get pip now this is from a neighbour who is on pip

I'm stressing now as if I don't get accepted I don't know what medications to keep taking a i can't afford to get all of them, does anyone have any info on any natural remedy or something that could help ??

Thanks for reading x
Kelly a
UKFM Newbie

Re: Recently had my PIP medical assessment

Postby hazely » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you not eligible for working tax credits and therefore free prescriptions. If not you can get a season ticket which works out cheaper across the year for anyone on regular prescriptions. If this is not helpful maybe you could see if your doctor would prescribed more on one prescription so that you get different items every other month to help save money hope this bit makes sense. i.e if you have 64 of a tablet one month could they not give you 128 every two months instead that way you only pay every two months instead of monthly. hth
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby Helhit » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi I've just had a thought. If your neighbour told you that's what they always do - how come they've got PIP? :roll:

If their theory was right then nobody would be receiving PIP.

Each case is different so please don't worry it'll only make the fibro worse.

If you have access to you tube have a look for the meditation: mindfulness, body scan and guided. If you sit or lie back and listen for a while I'm sure it will help relax you.
Fibro is like the wind. You can't see it and when it flares up it knocks you off your feet!
Helhit
UKFM Member

Postby Kelly a » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back it takes me ages to type then when I read back it makes no sense so have to delete loads haha!
I've tried asking the doctor for a 3 monthly supply of scripts to save on money but they won't do it on all my meds due to te strength of my pain killers but I'm due back in to see her on Monday so am going to see what I can do, I struggle going out in social situations so did have a telephone appointment on weds which they forgot to ring me so got another for today and they was supposed to ring by 4:30 but no call!

I am going to deffinatly look into the prescription thing you mentioned I'm sorry I forgot what it's called even though ie just read it!! Brain fog!!!

Yeah I didn't think about that with my neighbour saying that after she managed to get pip, !!

We can't get working tax credits as my husband got tips in with his wage last year so it's affected this year we used to get 156£ a week in children's and working tax but from this April it went down to £38 a week so a major drop we used to use the weekly money for school dinners and food shop and kids bus fayres and to pay widow cleaner and milk man so not this does not even cover school dinner and all hubby's wages go on bills , we've cut down on loads as well stopped the window cleaner and cancelled internet and now budget shop but it's hard but we will survive and I have to look at it as there are people worse off but hard to have that mind set when I'm feeling so low.

I must admit I know of someone with fm and I never believed them I use to think yeah right your fine and now I have it I feel so bad for judging people in the past as now I know how it feels but also makes me think how many people still judge this thinking it's fake as I once did!!

Sorry for going off te subject I ramble then forget what I'm talking about

X
Kelly a
UKFM Newbie

Postby emmas » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Kelly,

A couple of things on this link I am about to post have already been mentioned, but it is worth going through the list and seeing if there are any other ways you can save on your meds. Money saving expert - cheap prescriptions It gives lots of tips on how to try and get your medication cheaper (or free) and you can work through all the things at your own pace and see if there is something on there you might try.

Hope something on there helps! Good luck with the PIP :-D
emmas
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Not wanting to pry but does your husband earn a lot Inc tips because tax credits are relatively generous.

Just double check what you're entitled to here:

http://www.entitledto.co.uk
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Info on prepayment certificates here:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

Are you claiming ESA at the moment? If you can get that pip claim you'll be entitled to the disability element of tax credits which will give you a bit more there too.

Fingers crossed for your pip claim, if you get turned down there are groups out there that will help you appeal etc.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Kelly a » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the links I'm going to have a look trough it as I never even realised any of this info/help was out there! Hopefully I'll be able to sort something out with my meds,

And my hubby's tips get shared with the whole workplace each month and then the work take a cut and it goes into everyone's wages and gets taxed one month it could be a couple of quid and another month could be £50 but November and December are normally bigger around £90 but tax credits have said they overpaid us last year and we owe £3000 so were having money taken from this award for that even though I have them every detail to the last penny they wanted to know about so as far as I'm concerned the money I owe is their fault as they've obvs mis calculated it along the line somewhere,

I don't claim ESA or anything else we just get hubby's wages child benefit and a bit of children's tax credits, I've worked all my life up until few months back so never been out of work or in this situation before it's all new to me so trying to find out about any help that may be available, I did look at the ESA but I couldn't understand it by the contribution or non contribution based and I got told I wouldn't be able to claim anyway because my hubby works full time? I think I should have say down with someone who knows properly about these things?!

Thanks for all your help it's really appreciated x
Kelly a
UKFM Newbie

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Right you need to get a complaint into to hmrc about that £3000 if you told them then it's their fault and you don't pay.

There are places like fightback and consumer action group who can give you more help but basically send a letter to them disputing the £3000 saying why and wait.

If they say we overpaid it's your fault etc you send them a SAR (subject access request) for all your data they hold which will include recorded phone calls, data entry. At this point they'll look at the data and if it proves you right they'll probably back down, if not you should then have all the info you need to wipe the floor with them.

It's also worth an email to your MP. Even if worst case scenario you do owe them the money, tell them you are in severe hardship due to illness & disability and they can reclaim the money over multiple years so you get more a month now.

You can win against them.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby tammygirl » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi, im so sorry you are struggling at the minite and I know how hard it is being on benifits because you are to ill to wrk. Im interested to read about the child tax crefit over payment as they done the same to me for last year and now im paying it back each week. I would take all the advice people on here have given you and fight for what you rightfully derserve, after all none of this is your fault and the goverment really dont bother if you dont. Goid luck and plz try not to worry too much as hard as I know it can be sometimes. Keep us posted on your pip application. Take care. Xx
tammygirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kelly a » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Well received my letter this morning telling me I am not eligible fr pip !!! I got 2 points and the description the assessor have of me well I all I can say is she must have mixed me up with someone else, so feeling rather defleated right now ,

Today I got up and dressed I've been in bed for 4 days with a bad flare up and today felt a lot better so thought I would have a nice day now this

Can't believe how quick though I got my medical and then the letter back after a week!!

But I give up
Kelly a
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Ring them straight away and say you are going to appeal highlight all the facts the assessor got wrong and tell them, they will then give your claim a reconsideration and if you aren't succesful at this point (and some people are) then go to appeal, gather up as much evidence as you can and send it in.

A lot of people get turned down the first and even second time of applying, this is why the system is in disarray because so many people go to appeal and get the decision overturned but they have to fit in all these extra appointments :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dont give up, if you are entitled then fight to get it :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits