Had the boss on the phone

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Had the boss on the phone

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 pm

Had the boss call today, came up as withheld on the phone so didn't answer and listened to him leaving a message.

He wants to meet, said he'd come here or I can go there or don't have to see him at all as I'm signed off.

So more stress, joy. I don't know what he expects me to do or say. Suppose I ought to email the union and ask what I should do. All I want to do is go hide.
rich44
UKFM Member

Re: Had the boss on the phone

Postby Lindilou » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:15 pm

If you are off sick surely he doesn't have the right ? If so, in my opinion I would refuse, stress will only add to make yourself worse rich.
Last edited by Lindilou on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindilou

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Yeah he wasn't demanding it but just phoning has really stressed me out now.

I'm sure part of my current crash is partly due to him changing my line manager and relocating me upstairs (no lift).

I'll email my union contact and see what they say.

I'm thinking they're going to offer a compromise agreement to get rid. They agree a good ref and then offer to pay you 4 months pay to resign.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby daisyp59 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:43 pm

I do feel for you. I have just been through the same thing. I was asked to meet with my Manager and a representative from HR. I chose just to meet with the HR lady. The upshot is that I left my employment on Friday. I was constantly being disciplined for absence, once for 3 days in 12 months, once for having time off when my mother died and lastly for 12 days in 12 months. I couldn't live with the constant fear of being off sick and being disciplined again, so we parted company under mutual agreement. To be honest, although it is financially worrying, it was the best thing I could have done. I have decided to give up work, but will keep my options open should finances dictate. Do consult your union, they were very helpful to me and their advice was sound. In relation to the relocation - if you come under the Disability Discrimination Act your employer should agree to reasonable adjustments. Do they have an Occupational Health provider? If so, it might be worth asking your employer to arrange an appointment with them. I had to visit one on 3 occasions and in their reports they supported the need for adjustments and advised my employer that I would be susceptible to absences due to the fibro and arthritis. Good luck, I hope it works out for you. x
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby Librarychick » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Whatever you do get the Union support. They know the ins and outs of employment law and are there to guide you. I ad a meeting with my boss, a HR rep and HR assistant a few weeks ago and ad union support, good luck
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah will do I work for a council so they're a lot better than private sector employers but it's still stressful, beats stressing over ESA at the moment though.

Thanks all
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby juliekp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi. I am going through something similar at the moment. I was on a stage 3 for sickness. I was allotted 5 days off in 12 months. If I exceed it I have to go in front of service head to explain myself. I have now gone over the allotted time . I have just suffered from what I think was a breakdown. My doc signed me off for 2 weeks but will prob sign me off for another 2 weeks next week. I dont think I will have a job to go back to. I work on a 12 month contract and im sure they will not renew it. Im very worried about it which does not help the stress levels. Im not sure if I can claim anything as my husband works. Can anybody suggest anything pls. Thanks julie
juliekp
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Check www.entitledto.co.uk for what you might be entitled to. You can try a claim for pip which if successful would also give you the disability element of tax credits too.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby fruitloop » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Rich,
I work for a council too. I'm surprised he called you, I know there is something in most long term absence policies about staying in touch, but that's usually when over the 3 month mark. My sickness tends to be a few days here and there when I crash and can't get back up again. I've been off for 30 days in the last 12 months, so was recently sent back to OH for an assessment. Wouldn't it be lovely if they could just let us get on with the job. The guilt and extra stress of it all on top of the flare etc is just too much sometimes.
fruitloop
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Sure is i'm going to email unison later I expect they'll say phone him back and say I'll meet when I'm back
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby Hannah24 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi,

I know with my absence policy after being off for a certain amount of time (I think 5 weeks or so) I had to meet with human resources and Head teacher of the school. Didn't really know the point especially as I was going back, other than to set a target. It was decided I would have to aim for 0 absences till the end of term. It was nonsense! They asked me to come up with it and I said ideally I would aim for 0 because no employee wants to be off but realistically I can't predict that everything will be okay.

Got my own back as when I fell unexpectedly pregnant and was off sick with that they couldn't touch me.

I wish people would realise that no-one wants to be off but added pressure is only going to make things worse. I feel like they are looking for any reason to get me out and I have felt so delicate over the last few years that it wouldn't take much to break me. At least they would get what they wish for. Not feeling wanted and made to feel a burden just makes me feel worse.

I agree with the idea though that I don't relish the idea of applying for ESA as that sounds like a real headache too.
Hannah24
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

To be honest Rich your boss is only doing his job although it may appear differently.

Employers have a duty of care for their employees, even so, it can sometimes feel intrusive.

Every organisation has to have guidelines in place for their employees wellbeing, everything has to be done by the book.

As you work for a council, which is a large organisation, you should have been given terms of employment when you first started working there.

By all means have your union rep present, that's what we pay them for.

Also, it is common practice for your employer to give you the option of a home visit due to your illness.

Most employers are well aware that if the correct procedures are not followed they could end up at an employment tribunal.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Nope not happened before I've only been signed off 4 weeks at the moment got just under 3 left.

They haven't done that for anyone else, I know that for a fact. The only contact with the big boss is a return to work interview afterwards.

I know what you're saying but it's not in the employee handbook and the last time I was off sick I wasn't allowed even in the building for more than 5 mins (dropping sick note in) because of insurance. That's why I find it being suggested I go there for a meeting so odd after I was shooed out last time

I don't work directly for the council as such I work in a small subset of a council company but I digress.

Thanks
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:10 pm

I can understand that you are worried, make contact your union rep first thing.

Ask your union rep what the absence procedure is if you do not have a copy of it.

But please be assured that I have personal experience of these procedures as I was medically retired in 2012 by my former employer.

I too felt intimidated by the actions of my former employer but I can assure you that this is the usual 'company policy'.

Your sick note for 4 weeks has probably flagged you up on your employers payroll system.

Not only have I first hand experience from an employee perspective I also have first hand knowledge from a managerial perspective too.

As I formerly said, your sick not has probably started a stage 1 or 2 on their system.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby fruitloop » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:34 pm

I think what often causes so much of the concern and doubt is the lack of visibility of the procedures being followed. I know copies are available, but I mean when a manager decides to take action (like your phonecall) its not clear what 'action' they feel they are taking. Is it to keep in touch? Is it because they want to Start proceedings? If they.could be crystal clear and say I am now going to do X because of A we might not feel so 'at their mercy'. Many managers aren't trained properly and equipped with the right info to deal with situations like ours. My managers recently said if I worked from home more than a set number if days it would automatically count as sickness. Utter madness.
It may help, I'm not sure of any history to your work situation, to ask for a copy of your absence record and get confirmation that they are recording it accurately, and recording disability related absence separately. Having that particular discussion with my managers at the moment.
fruitloop
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits