Scared about DLA renewal

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Scared about DLA renewal

Postby Dianeb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:21 pm

I've had the forms here for a while regarding renewal of my DLA. My current award ends on 14th December. It's taken a long time to fill in the long form but I'm sat here scared to send them off after reading all the reports of people losing their awards. Silly or what. I know I have to do it but I'm so worried they will take my car away, which will leave me completely housebound.

I have copied all the GP, consultant etc reports over the past 2 years, I have copied the ATOS report from 2 years ago which led to my award (had to request reconsideration to get that). I have a statement from my daughter and a statement from my husband. My GP is pretty useless and doesn't do his own letters of support. Instead they have an elderly lady, in her 80's who goes through your medical file and writes it. Last time this caused me no end of problems as she made so many assumptions, despite never having met me. I haven't seen a consultant or my GP regarding my conditions for a year now as there is nothing that can be done so I am just on repeats for all my meds. Also the lovely GP who I used to see has been off sick the past year and I've had to see another one. I have spinal stenosis in the lumbar and cervical spine, peripheral neuropathy, permanent sciatica on the left, depression with anxiety and panic attacks, and FM was diagnosed by the GP who went off sick, but the other says it doesn't exist. I have a letter from the GP who diagnosed FM stating I have it but I was told last week there is nothing on my records. I have just been diagnosed with costochondritis too which I believe is also linked to FM. It has been accepted that I have Chronic Pain Syndrome.

I am going to send off the forms on Monday using recorded delivery but it's making me so worried. What right do DWP have to make us feel like this.

Anyone know how long it is likely to be before I hear anything? My pain levels are so bad at the moment and I know this is because I am stressing.

I'm currently on low rate care (which is a joke) and high rate mobility.
Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Spinal stenosis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain syndrome, Sciatica, Flat Back syndrome, L5,S1 Radiculopathy, Anxiety and Depression, Agoraphobia
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Re: Scared about DLA renewal

Postby alibp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:19 pm

I currently have mid care and low mobility for epilepsy and hypermobility. I have recently sent off forms to add fibromyalgia. It's hit me hard and got rapidly worse. Many days I can barely feed myself as it hurts too much and I am awaiting delivery of a wheelchair as many days I can't walk at all and miss sports days and parents evenings. I understand your fear. I'm scared they will give me my assessment and decide to stop all my money. Any worry makes makes this illness worse but as much as I try I can't totally relax.
alibp
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:19 pm

Try to bear in mind {which I know is far easier said than done} that for each horror story we hear about claims being denied/not renewed, there are many, many that we don't hear about that go thru the system smoothly and successfully. Unfortunately news and details about just how many do go straight thru is scant compared to that for unsuccessful claims, all of which ramps up the focus on those who have had the system fail them.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: to you both :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Wild Turkey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:43 pm

My claim was unsuccessful but I appealed against the decision, I went to my local citizens advice who were very helpful in filling out forms with me. At my atos assessment the examiner had no understanding of Fibromyalgia and how it affects your everyday living, I took a letter from my doctor saying that I have Fifromyalgia and that I have other degenerative conditions and other medical evidence which the examiner took no notice of, all he could say was that I would be fit for work in 12 months, well 14 months later an my condition worsening I won my appeal without having to attend a tribunal. So please talk to your GP if you can, gather as much medical evidence as you can and talk to your local Citizens Advice, photo copy any documents/forms that you have to send in and send them by registered post as all to often these documents get lost. Sorry about this reply being long winded but all I can say is :goodluck2:
Wild Turkey
UKFM Newbie

Postby TNK* » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:51 pm

I feel your worry,...I have just had to go through a re claim...i was told that folk are randomly selected to go through their claim again just to make sure you are receiving it right...i know there is a word for this but it escapes me at the minute.

I think what helped me, is in the bit where you can do a bit about yourself, make sure you mention that you have been awarded it before due to your condition, and what you have is chronic and degenerative and will only get worse or at best stay the same.

I was awarded DLA indefinitely the last time i put in a reclaim about 3 years ago, and have had to do this just recently....i was terrified of losing it all, especially as i use my DLA towards a Motability car.....so no higher rate mobility = no car!

Fortunately i got a letter last week, confirming that I am on the correct rates and for the correct amount of time.

I know it wont be indefinitely as i will at some point have to claim PIP, but for now I am happy!
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Wild turkey, as I have said my current GP doesn't believe FM exists. I have all the consultant reports etc for my other conditions and the ATOS report from 18 months ago states my conditions are degenerative. Was yours a new claim? Mine is a renewal.

TNK mine is up for renewal, hence the hoops I'm having to jump through again :( Can I ask how long it took for your decision to come back? What a relief for you that it was kept the same. This is what I am hoping for.

I've done everything I can, filled in forms with help, copied all the evidence I have although I am concerned there is nothing in the past year as I've not been seeing anyone.
Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Spinal stenosis, Peripheral Neuropathy, Chronic Pain syndrome, Sciatica, Flat Back syndrome, L5,S1 Radiculopathy, Anxiety and Depression, Agoraphobia
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby TNK* » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:29 pm

Dianeb wrote:
TNK mine is up for renewal, hence the hoops I'm having to jump through again :( Can I ask how long it took for your decision to come back? What a relief for you that it was kept the same. This is what I am hoping for.

I think i got the re newal forms in April, i sent them all back and then they wanted me to go to a medical, but it clashed with an operation i was having and then i said i wouldnt be able to travel to the medical centre as i couldnt drive for so many weeks post op and using public transport was a no no, as i couldnt walk too far...in the end they said they were just going to write to my physio and my GP...like i said i got the letter last week, so it was a few months of stressing out, but mine was delayed with all the medical palava x
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Well, I've sent it today. The envelope was over an inch thick with all the reports etc contained. Now the wait begins to see if they are going to be nice or cause me grief.
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:06 pm

And it's been received today at 9.01 and signed for. My husband has told me to stop panicking as he will buy my mobility car if needs be. Is this something that could be an option if they do reduce my award does anyone know? I can't bear the thought of being housebound again. My car gives me some independence to visit friends and family.
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:53 am

I understand your stress. My current award runs out end December, and my forms just about ready to go. My doctor had actually prescribed me meds for anxiety, I'm so stressed over it... As like you no car = housebound and we're not in a position to buy a car. But also I work part time, and if i lose dla I cannot claim working tax credits at 16 hours, so I could end up having to give up my job :-(

Good luck with yours xxx

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby Dianeb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:32 am

Well, after weeks of worry I got a call today from DWP and I a decision has been made using all the information I sent in.

I have been awarded HRM and MRC until December 2017 :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a more suitable car and I will hopefully enjoy the stress free period before PIP kicks in for my area.

So relieved it is all over for a while and I didn't have to fight this time.

I'd do a happy dance but the old body won't let me

:chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:
Dianeb
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits